You Changed Me

You Changed Me
Caroline over at Becoming a SAHM wrote an interesting post on how she had the worst week with a poorly family and how it really got her down. But then she reflected, had a night with friends and realised actually it can be really hard but life is still good!!
Sometimes I worry I think about how having a baby has changed our lives in too many negative ways. I think everyone does now and then. How many of you have less sleep, less time, no privacy to do a No 2, an untidy house, “munchkin marks” (my step dad calls them) on your window and more germs than you care to think about? I’d say I could get 100% if I did a poll.
Sleep deprivation and another cot full of vomit can make you think like that (we haven’t had the best week). So it got me thinking about all the positive things about having our gremlin and how personally and as a family, we have changed for the better.
We sit at the table for our meals. I admit it I used to (and still do) love having my breakfast, dinner and tea in front of the telly. It’s just so relaxing and I look forward to it. We soon realised that having a little gannet stealing everything was proving very tricky and that we should be promoting a positive family experience of eating. So when our gremlin is eating with us we always sit at the table and actually it is quite nice!!
I actually wake up and smell the coffee. Literally. Sometimes we are so busy you don’t even taste your coffee but now a cuppa and a snack I try and savour. When I am sat cuddling my gremlin watching Peppa I’ll smell her hair and touch her skin and be right there with her. Time is precious and it is hard but being in the moment just now and then is great.
I appreciate the amazing man my husband is. I’m so lucky. He does loads for our gremlin. He always got up with me when I was feeding her as a newborn and changed her. He takes time from work when she is sick and lets me have time to gym/scrapbook/blog/get my hair done. They have a great relationship too. We try and have Saturday night together now, no distractions just music and wine!Being at home is lovely. Before we had the gremlin we would (or I would…hubby doesn’t plan) do something most weekends with friends or family. Now we don’t. We have to say no or cancel to get family time or mainly due to illness!! I love putting my PJs on at 6pm, having a bath with the gremlin and watching Netflix. It’s cosy and it’s home. But in turn it makes me appreciate the time I get with my friends and I really enjoy it.

So there you have it. I know things do change a LOT when little monsters arrive on the scene but everything does get put into perspective….even though I have to squint my eyes and think really hard sometimes, especially when I’ve had a shower and can still smell puke!!!I REALLY appreciate what my Mum did for me as a single Mum. My Dad moved out when I was 8 and my brother was 5. We still saw him but my Mum did it all. Working, cleaning, shopping, cooking, sorting out the whole of Christmas!! and looking after poorly children alone must have been insanely hard work. I have the utmost admiration and gratitude for everything she did for us as sometimes it must have been a nightmare. I say this being in a happy relationship with only 1 child. Makes you think wow it’s pretty good.

Mum, brother, me and my cousin

1. March 2, 2015 / 9:32 am

I LOVE this post hun. I agree so much and I think we're both very lucky with our men!!! I often get frustrated and think about life B.A (before Alfie) but then he'll do something that makes me think why on earth would I change a thing?!

Helen X
    #maternitymondays
    #mummymondays

• mm March 2, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Thanks! I know we are soooo lucky!! xx

2. March 2, 2015 / 10:52 am

Such a beautiful post and a lovely reminder to focus on the positive moments of motherhood. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the exhaustion and overwhelmingness sometimes but there are so many beautiful moments to enjoy too. Thank you for sharing.

• mm March 2, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Thanks for lovely comments. That's exactly why I thought I'd write this. Can be so hard sometimes! xx

3. March 2, 2015 / 3:49 pm

Great post and totally agree with you and all comments. When so busy and don't get a minute so easy to miss the good and only see bad and ugly. Super hard being a mummy/wife/partner but wouldn't change a thing! xx

• mm March 3, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Thanks so much. You are right…wouldn't change anything x

4. March 2, 2015 / 8:17 pm

What a lovely post. Sometimes when life gets in the way and days just keep going by it's really nice to stop, think and in this case write it all down and realise how lucky you are and just how much you have to be fortunate for. All things that you might not have been so appreciative before until now! Thanks so much for linking up #MummyMonday xx

• mm March 3, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Thanks! I thought exactly that x

5. March 2, 2015 / 10:17 pm

Beautiful post. It's very true as I do moan a lot to friends and family of the lack of sleep and hard work but really it's all worth it. When I have them in my arms I'm complete x

• mm March 3, 2015 / 8:36 pm

I know my girl was up at 4.30am today but she kept snuggling me so I tried to think of this article xx

6. March 3, 2015 / 4:28 am

Beautiful post And it's really resonated with me, I have been trying to take the time to really smell the roses with the toddler! X #maternitymonday

• mm March 3, 2015 / 8:36 pm

Thanks for the comment. It really makes you feel better!! x

7. March 3, 2015 / 10:06 pm

Ahh this post is lovely – I agree with every point you make 🙂 There are definitely tough times in parenting but those wonderful things outweigh every negative. Thanks so much for linking up with #twinklytuesday

8. March 6, 2015 / 6:49 am

Great Post! we laughed at "Munchkin Marks" very honest too! #PoCoLo x

9. March 6, 2015 / 10:08 am

Ah thanks for the mention hon and such a lovely post! It is amazing how much being a parent changes you and shifts your priorities doesn't it? So hard to see past the vomit and lack of sleep too sometimes but when you really think about it we are so lucky. I have total admiration for your mum and all single mums too, they are amazing to do all this alone! xx

10. March 7, 2015 / 8:03 am

Lovely post. Remaining positive and looking on the bright side really helps. Not always that easy though! Especially through the sleep deprivation and endless chores. Dinner at the table is so important I think. You can't always do it, but if you can I think it is great for the whole family. Lucy@bottlefor2