The Immature Mummy

The Immature Mummy

This week’s word is IMMATURE.

I don’t think I am that mature. I want to be but it just doesn’t always happen. I can be when I need to be but deep down I am still 12 years old in my head. This is all well and good with a toddler. Isn’t it? You would think. I have learnt not always.

You may have read before that I am not the most patient of people and my gremlin can drive me insane. Times like this you need to be the parent, the bigger person. If I act like a child, she will act like a child and we will get nowhere (I have had loads of lectures off hubby!) For example, if your child starts throwing food on the floor what works is to ignore her but calmly take the food off her. What doesn’t work is reacting, getting cross and threatening to never give her a fromage frais repeatedly EVER again.

So I have to try REALLY hard. It works to be fair and we are all happy. But the immature part of me just isn’t satisfied. I want to get her back a bit. I know it’s not her fault. She’s 18 months. She’s a child. She’s doing what she knows. I’m 30. I need to get a life. I discussed this with hubby and I got some reassurance he knew exactly what I was on about and he did a few things himself to our gremlin. I’m not taking about things that are going to make you call social services on us. Just a few little immature things that make us giggle after she has been naughty. Here they are:

• Wiping her face for a few seconds longer after her meals as we know she’s not a fan. This is especially satisfying if she’s pratted around/thrown food/not eaten.
  • If she’s messing around in my bedroom when I’m drying my hair, blowing it at her so she’s runs away shrieking.
  • Cuddling/squeezing/kissing her for a few extra seconds when she is wriggling to get away. Now this isn’t too cruel eh?
  • Burying her in bubbles in the bath. Funny and she gets cleaned, Why not?
  • Spraying her with water in the bath. She has one of these bath toys and this is even more satisfying if you make shooting noises (like a 6 year old boy) at the same time.
  • Becoming a TV block when Peppa is on. This one is good if she has been a bit stroppy. Hubby is guilty of this.
  • Calling her gremlin. She actually has started yelling “no” if I ask her if she’s a gremlin or “gemlin” she calls herself.
  • PDAs (public displays of affection) in front of her. She gets quite arsey when I cuddle or kiss her Daddy. Yelling and coming over to muscle in. So if she’s been a little monster a few more extra kisses and cuddles won’t hurt, will they?
  • Deigning to come near here when she having a snuggle with me/Daddy/Nanny. She gets all cross if you get too close and has a little yell and mini strop. So obviously repeating this motion a couple of times is quite funny, for us.
So nothing too bad. Little things that satisfy my inner child when she is being a little madam.
How about you? Anything you do to your little ones to get them back on the sly or is it just me that needs help?

post signature

The Reading Residence

The Dad Network

Binky Linky

* indicates required

1. April 3, 2015 / 7:22 am

Well I think they are very gentle things! Mummy is 43 and RIDICULOUSLY immature at times!! I'm sure my iPad isn't out of battery as much as she says it is! Oh and so many more…..I feel a post coming on 😉 thank you for sharing x

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Thanks! I think Mummy is telling you fibs yes. Could definitely be a blog post xx

2. April 3, 2015 / 10:41 am

Hehe, I'm guilty on a few of those!! As you know I'm not the most mature person at times either, but hey where's the fun in that 😀

Helen – WotW

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:40 pm

haha it's too boring to be a grown up! x

3. April 3, 2015 / 11:01 am

We do some of those too, especially the TV block since that is what my daughter does more often than not.

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:40 pm

haha glad to hear it! x

4. April 3, 2015 / 11:58 am

I think being child-like is fine, especially with little ones and also when it lightens up an otherwise stressful moment, don't you think? 😉 #wotw.

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Definitely. You need to be a child to be on their wavelength and is fun too x

5. April 3, 2015 / 12:15 pm

hahaha! This made me chuckle…..I have been known to do a few of those too.
    Public displays of affection mortify my 12 year old….lol

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Glad to hear it! aww bless. More PDAs then for sure! x

6. April 3, 2015 / 12:25 pm

those all seem pretty benign. I was hoping for worse. My big one is hiding too well. I can sometimes get a quick nap in before I'm found

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:41 pm

haha Jeremy I didn't tell you about locking her in the cellar….Hiding is a great idea…needs to go on the list x

7. April 3, 2015 / 12:50 pm

All seem fair enough to me! My kids love the hair-dryer, though, so that one attracts them! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:42 pm

That's good to hear. Ah my ratbag legs in when the hairdryer out! Thanks for hosting as usual xx

8. April 3, 2015 / 3:34 pm

Yes! This post was amazing:) I love the wipe-your-face-too-long trick! I do it all the time. Sometimes I even try to get into their mouth to mess them up more.
    Similar to the hair dryer, I was blowing them with a leaf blower but that backfired and they think it's a fun game and I can't get my work done.
    One I love to do is put my finger in their armpit and say "don't move I'm just resting my finger here." They wiggle and laugh and I just say "stop moving you're tickling yourself, I'm just resting"

• mm April 3, 2015 / 3:43 pm

Thank you! You sound as secretly evil as me. I love the armpit trick have to try it!!! x

9. April 3, 2015 / 6:52 pm

I'm 28 and I wouldn't say I was immature, but I'm pretty relaxed and laid back when it comes to my twins. I do mess around and play with them a lot. I hate shouting at them and rarely do, but I do have ways to manage their behaviour that works. R has a favourite toy so if I want her finish her dinner I get her favourite toy to 'feed' her which always works! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

• mm April 4, 2015 / 9:25 am

It's always best not to shout though eh? Thanks for the linky xx

10. April 3, 2015 / 6:53 pm

Hehe I think we all have these little things otherwise we would go insane! I do like the bubbles in the bath idea!! I might have to steal it =D

• mm April 4, 2015 / 9:26 am

Definitely steal it! Great photo op too! x

11. April 3, 2015 / 9:18 pm

This made me chuckle as there were a few things on your list that I'm guilty of, too!
    #WOTW

• mm April 4, 2015 / 9:26 am

tehe glad to hear it! x

12. April 4, 2015 / 12:10 am

After 8 kids and now our first grandchild this struck really close to home! I've especially been slow about cleaning up our little guy after an especially messy meal. My only excuse is that he's extra dirty and needs the "attention". I do tell him why I'm taking so long, so I don't feel all that guilty!

Of course, I've given up hoping for maturity. Once you hit 50+ and you have to struggle to act mature you realize "so what", and you stop. I'd stick my tongue out at you, but people frown upon that LOL

• mm April 4, 2015 / 9:27 am

Ah how lovely…massive family. You sound like lots of fun. Sticking your tongue out would definitely not be frowned on! tehe x

• mm April 9, 2015 / 6:19 pm

tehe so true xx

13. April 4, 2015 / 1:42 pm

haha love it. I am definitely immature and love squirting Monkey in the bath too, very satsifying. patience is not my strong suit either and for the most part i can reign it in but there are times when I do want to get back at him for being really disgusting, like spitting his food out, and the naughty spot or a telling off just doesn't quite satisfy me! xx

• mm April 9, 2015 / 6:25 pm

It must be so satisfying!! You just have to get them back xx

14. April 5, 2015 / 12:14 pm

I need to work on being more immature! My partner is great, he hides from him and teases him all the time, its such a giggle. Good way to dissolve tension 🙂

• mm April 9, 2015 / 6:25 pm

It is such a stress reliever ! Keep working on it tehe xx

15. April 5, 2015 / 1:16 pm

I do a few of these things but it's often told to me that I need to be silly and more immature. The boys mum is far better at it than me. Thanks for linking up with us on the #bigfatlinky

• mm April 9, 2015 / 6:25 pm

You need to get the boys to give you a good tickle!! x

16. April 5, 2015 / 8:01 pm

We do some of these but there's nothing like me cuddling their father to send the pair of them into absolute meltdown! #binkylinky

• mm April 9, 2015 / 6:26 pm

haha it's so funny how they hate the PDAs!! x Thanks for the comment x

17. April 9, 2015 / 6:49 pm

This is great! I know exactly what you mean with the immaturity and it's hard with toddlers – haha! Xx