Just No Time

I know I am one lucky wife. My husband works from home most of the time and has done for a while. This means I can fit in my exercise in the morning before he starts work or I can shoot off in the evening.

I know everyone is not that fortunate. I have friends whose hubbys leave for work very early and return very late. By the time the little ones are bathed and asleep and tea is prepared, fitting in some fitness is very tricky.

This week was one of those week’s for me. Hubby was very busy with work Tuesday to Thursday. I was doing more nursery drop offs and pick ups and the week’s routine was completely changed. I couldn’t gym Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning and this felt really odd. It also made me realise how tough it must be for those who have this all the time.

How can you exercise with so little free time?

• Exercise with your children. I decide to take my girlie for a walk on one of my gym-free days and ended up carrying her most of the way. 13kg for around 20 minutes is a good enough work out for anyone.
  • Go to a soft play. I get so hot following my gremlin around and you are moving, bending, crawling. Much better than just being sat on the side.
  • Try to put aside one weekday where you will go out and do something, even if it is late. I managed to get to my Zumba class on Thursday once hubby was home. I had to eat earlier and was almost late due to my gremlin having 10 million stories but I managed it.
  • Weekend exercise. Obviously at the weekend it can be family time/lazy time but you really only need 30 minutes of exercise to have a least done something, An exercise DVD, a brisk walk or a run would easily work. Once it’s done, it’s done and takes the same time as an episode of Eastenders.
  • Home equipment. You don’t want to spend a fortune. My friend has bought a cheap treadmill and it has transformed her exercise and she can run for a solid 30 minutes. Dumbells, kettlebells and a mat are so good basic bits to have.
ย I now understand how hard it can be, not having the time to exercise when you are the sole carer for most of the day. I can be really frustrating but there are some ways around it. It takes a bit of planning and if the motivation is there, it can work.

1. July 19, 2015 / 2:25 pm

We used to have an exercise bike but we sold it when we bought our old flat, because we had nowhere to store it. I wish we hadn't now because cycling while watching TV was such an easy way to squeeze half an hour in. x

• mm July 20, 2015 / 5:43 am

I used to do that! Sometimes you have to make room though!! x

2. July 19, 2015 / 5:35 pm

It is tough. I have time now my boys are at school but it often gets squeezed out because of my other ambitions take priority. I am getting a pedometer because I always found them very motivating in the past. thanks for sharing your ideas. #sundaystars

• mm July 20, 2015 / 5:44 am

A pedometer is a great one as really good to see how you are getting on xx

3. July 19, 2015 / 8:53 pm

You are absolutely right and we all need to move more and do more exercise. I'm an osteopath (as well as working for Father Christmas), and I'm always trying to encourage people to move more. Many people sit at a desk all day, which is not unlike being on a long haul flight is it really? It IS hard to do formal resistance when you're the primary carer of a small one but I agree that with planning it can be worked in a bit more. Every little counts!

• mm July 20, 2015 / 5:44 am

Really interesting job! I sit at a desk and have to get up and down lots or go mad!! Thanks for the comment x

4. July 20, 2015 / 3:54 pm

Some really great tips there! Unfortunately I have no choice, I have to wait until Mini Me is at school before I can go to the gym, though do jump on the bike at home. When I do not go for a couple of days I really do start to get the guilt ๐Ÿ™ Sim #WeightLossWednesday x

5. July 20, 2015 / 7:37 pm

Great tips for fitting it all in. It can be so hard sometimes to find the time, my husband and I both work fairly long hours (although I'm only part time) so take it in turns to head out in the evenings. My favourite time to run is about 9pm! I also try to do little mini-workouts at least 3 times a week even for just ten minutes. I do occasionally workout with the children but actually I usually think of exercise time as 'me' time so i usually do it once they're both asleep.

6. July 21, 2015 / 8:19 am

It can be really hard, my hubby leaves for work early and Toby generally wakes up at 5-6am but walking loads really helps. Thanks for linking with #BloggingToJogging xx

7. July 24, 2015 / 11:30 pm

This is something I struggle to fit in, especially now O has dropped his naps. I did try to carry on doing insanty/T25 dvds but he kept trying to climb over me all the time! I do babywear though so every time we go out of the house I'm carrying almost 2 stone of extra weight on my back ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for linking up with #sundaystars x