My Grandad

My Grandad

My Grandma has been unwell recently. She is almost 96, had a pretty healthy life and in all honestly done very well. She lost my Grandad 2 years ago and they had almost been married 70 years. This is hard to compute sometimes.

Surprisingly my Grandma being unwell, has made me think more about my Grandad. I think if anything happens to her, it will be the loss of everyone on that side of my family, which is a sad and rather odd feeling. I guess a lot of my most happy childhood memories come from spending time with my Grandma and Grandad; more so my Grandad.

Most Grandparents are completely in love with their grandchildren, that goes without saying but none of my relatives ever showed it as much as my Grandad. The hugs were legendary. I thought I would get squished to death and the pure joy in his voice and face when he used to see me was just lovely. I can still hear his voice now. This lasted right up until he became more unwell and a bit confused, so my mid-twenties.

I used to get told off as a child for bugging my Grandad so much, wanting to play or just be around him. He was quite happy to play along with any of my games and be bossed about. He was made to tap dance, have picnics and play shops on a regular basis. My love for cups of tea (with sugar much to my Mum’s horror – I have since weaned myself off), Marmite and Hovis bread all come from my Grandad who drank barrels of tea and breakfast daily was toast and Marmite or Bovril. Quite honestly, I just adored him.

It wasn’t just those quirks, it was his attitude to life and his passion for learning and trying so hard. He lied about his qualifications and managed to land himself a job. He was known for his hard work, despite always struggling a bit if he had to hit the books. This got him far. Him and my Grandma skimped and saved and worked hard for every penny and have been able to look after themselves when they needed care. They were extremely uncomfortable about receiving carer’s allowance when things got a bit tough. Benefits seemed to be unheard of really; an attitude which is inspiring. Grandad also fought in World War 2 (which is massive) and even though I don’t know all the details from this, it makes me very proud.

My Grandad was rarely down in the dumps for long, even after my Dad became unwell and life was thrown unpside-down. He was upbeat and positive. The strong work ethic was so present in him and he never wanted to admit he was struggling until right at the end. He was forced to go into care with my Grandma as she was unsafe to be at home. Luckily by that point he was pleasantly confused so a move was not too traumatic.

He truly is my inspiration. Life is rubbish sometimes and we have to work hard but it will get better and staying as upbeat and positive about it really helps. This attitude I hope is my attitude and I want to be like that for my Grandad.

He made my childhood magical and I hope my gremlin gets the same from her Grandparents.

And then the fun began...

Mummascribbles

1. November 17, 2015 / 9:45 am

What a lovely post. What a wonderful relationship you had. Has made me feel nostaglic thinking about my grandparents. #Twinkly Tuesday
    Kim (sisterkin) recently posted…The Random Precious ToyMy Profile

November 17, 2015 / 7:28 pm

Thanks KIm…it’s some nice nostalgia x

November 17, 2015 / 7:27 pm

He really was Rachel x

2. November 17, 2015 / 11:46 am

Such a precious tribute to your Granddad. You had me hooked at 70 years of marriage! So sweet! #thetruthabout

November 17, 2015 / 7:27 pm

I know it is insane!! x

3. November 17, 2015 / 1:16 pm

Second time a #twinklytuesdays post has brought tears to my eyes today. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely memories of your Grandad. He sounds like an amazing man and I’m glad you got those beautiful years with him <3

November 17, 2015 / 7:26 pm

aww sorry Laura. He was so brilliant thanks x

4. November 17, 2015 / 4:38 pm

Beautiful post! It is so wonderful that you had such a bond with your grandfather and have such fond memories. This reminds me of the special relationship I shared with my grandmother; she was truly my hero. I’m sure you do him proud ๐Ÿ™‚

#thetruthabout

November 17, 2015 / 7:25 pm

Thanks so much – I really did. I’m glad you had such a special bond with yours too xx

5. November 17, 2015 / 7:23 pm

Wow your grandma has reached a grand old age Sarah! Your Grandad sounds like he was a real character – and yes, 70 years of marriage – whoah! I thought I was doing well at 5!! thanks for linking up to #thetruthabout Xx
    Sam recently posted…The Truth about…#52My Profile

November 17, 2015 / 7:24 pm

I know she has bless her! haha. Thanks lots and for hosting x

6. November 17, 2015 / 7:48 pm

What a lovely post. Your granddad sounds such a special person so thank you for sharing him with us. Grandparents are the best!
    Mrs Tubbs recently posted…We Weep, but We Do Not FearMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:22 pm

I was so lucky in that sense! x

7. November 18, 2015 / 6:56 am

What a heartfelt post, it made me want to cry (in a good way) thinking about my own Grandad who I was close to as well. Grandparents really are the best aren’t they?x

November 18, 2015 / 7:21 pm

aww sorry! They really are the best so I feel lucky x

8. November 18, 2015 / 6:57 am

Wow, 96 years old! Your grandad sounds very special. It’s great that you have fond memories of him. #bestandworst
    Emily recently posted…The Tiger Who Came to Tea Book ReviewMy Profile

9. November 18, 2015 / 6:59 am

Such a lovely post! I lost my Gramp about 9 years ago and it broke my heart. He like yours to you was a huge part of my like. Such lovely words about him. #bestandworst xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…Wicked Wednesdays #41My Profile

10. November 18, 2015 / 7:03 am

Oh sweetie, your Grandad will be so proud of you. I bet he’s telling everyone in heaven “my granddaughter wrote a lovely piece about me on the computer and put it on the internet” haha. My Grandad is still alive and I’m ashamed to say I don’t call or see him enough, same with my Nan. I’m going to make an effort going forward. Big hugs. Renee @peonieandme #bestandworst x
    Renee @peonieandme recently posted…#MummyDiary…Our best bits…xMy Profile

11. November 18, 2015 / 7:36 am

Such a heartfelt and beautiful post for someone who was clearly very special. Dawn x

#bestandworst

November 18, 2015 / 7:30 pm

Thanks Dawn – he was x

12. November 18, 2015 / 9:37 am

I feel pretty emotional reading this Sarah…I think its because my own Grandad has similar qualities and he has been so sick recently and looking so frail!
    I have loved over the years listening to his stories and laughing together, it will be a very sad day when he is no longer with us, though joyful for him to see my grandma again!

Im sorry your grandma isn’t well either, its hard to see them so frail isnt it? despite a good life its still a hard thing. I love the lessons they teach us of simple living! #bestandworst x
    Mary recently posted…An Unexpected HaircutMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:30 pm

Aww sorry to heat Mary. I hope he stays ok. The stories are amazing aren’t they? I think my Grandma will love to see him when the time comes for her. Sad but comforting. They both lived so simply but were happy xx

13. November 18, 2015 / 9:38 am

Ah, what a lovely post Sarah. I lost both my Granddads at too young an age to remember them, but our next door neighbour, Bert, was as close to a granddad as I needed. He taught me to love plants, and we had a tiny gate cut out of the fence so I was always running it to him as he was growing his vegetables. We lost Bertie a few years ago, and this post really made me think about him. Thanks you for sharing it x #bestandworst
    mummuddlingthrough recently posted…Having a Baby? The stuff you REALLY need on your shopping listโ€ฆ.My Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Oh Bert sounds brilliant. I bet her loved having you. Sad you lost him but amazing memories xx

14. November 18, 2015 / 9:57 am

Aww this made me all emotional!I miss my grandparents,think back on them with so much fondness though xx #bestandworst
    Pickinguptoys recently posted…Things I miss about my childhoodMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:28 pm

aww sorry Julie ๐Ÿ™‚ It is sad to think but great memories I hope x

November 18, 2015 / 7:28 pm

haha hope that’s a good goey. Thanks for linking babes x

15. November 18, 2015 / 11:05 am

I loved my Grandpa too and both of mine adore their grandpas now – I think it follows in familiesx #bestandworst
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…Reasons I hate the school runMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:28 pm

I think so too! Lovely thought xx

16. November 18, 2015 / 11:41 am

This is such a beautiful tribute to a great man! I never knew either of my granddads as they both died before I was born, so I do really feel like I missed out on that. I’m really grateful that my kids have all four of their grandparents and have a great relationship with them, like you and your Granddad. It’s a lovely picture and you can see the love he had for you radiating out of his face. Becky xx #bestandworst
    Becky (PinksCharming) recently posted…โ€œI love you to Spanish and back!โ€My Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:27 pm

Yes my hubby does too…sorry to hear that Becky. My little one has hers too and is great. xx ps I love that piccy x

17. November 18, 2015 / 12:10 pm

This is a lovely post Sarah, and it really resonates with me at the minute. My Grandma is quite ill too, and this made me very nostalgic for my childhood days when her and my late Granda where a very big part of my life ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope she feels better soon! Thanks for hosting #bestandworst
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…8 Tips For Going Self HostedMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:26 pm

Oh Debbie sorry to hear that. It sounds like you had a similar childhood. Hope your Grandma recovers too x

November 18, 2015 / 7:25 pm

Thanks Angela and sorry to hear you lost yours so long ago x

18. November 18, 2015 / 1:46 pm

Such a Lovely post! He seems like a great inspiration to your family! Made me miss my Grandad too, he passed away before I cam over here. Thanks for sharing! #bestandworst
    Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby recently posted…The long journey of Potty TrainingMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:25 pm

Aww it’s nice to sometimes have a think about them eh? x

19. November 18, 2015 / 2:48 pm

Awww such a lovely and heart warming post.Sadly I lost all my grandparents when I was very young so don’t really have many memories at all ๐Ÿ™ It’s so great to be able to look up and admire somebody. #bestandworst xx
    helen gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #27My Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:24 pm

That is like Chris. He kind of adopted mine I think xx

20. November 18, 2015 / 3:00 pm

It’s so heartwarming to read of your relationship with your grandad. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s lovely to hear how we will be remembered as such an amazing person. Thank you for sharing with us #bestandworst

November 18, 2015 / 7:24 pm

No worries and thanks for the kind comment x

21. November 18, 2015 / 3:51 pm

What lovely memories and a very lovely post to look back on. It sounds like you had such a lovely idyllic childhood and so many really special memories. X
    #bestandworst
    New Mummy Blog recently posted…Happy Baby, Happy Mummy – Nap Time PoemMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:24 pm

I really had some great times yes ๐Ÿ™‚ x

22. November 18, 2015 / 4:16 pm

Grandparents are so special. What a lovely way to remember your grandfather.
    I loved spending time with my Grandmother growing up. By the time I met the Hubs, both my grandmothers had passed, but his were still alive so I got a lovely few years of “extra” grandma time through them and I adored it.
    #bestandworst
    Ellie @ Hand Me Down Baby recently posted…Review: Charlotte Keating Lace Trim Wrap Nursing CardiMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:24 pm

Ah so glad you had your hubbys. My hubby I think adopted mine too! It’s lovely x

23. November 18, 2015 / 5:41 pm

What a beautiful post. I definitely think grandparents and grandchildren have special relationships, sounds like you had such a lovely one that you’ll be able to encourage the same for the next generation (and maybe the one after!). Thanks for hosting #bestandworst
    Lucy at occupation: (m)other recently posted…Whatโ€™s In Your Pockets?My Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:21 pm

Thanks so much, we really did xx

November 18, 2015 / 7:23 pm

Thanks very much. I’m hoping so. Thanks for linking too x

24. November 18, 2015 / 7:21 pm

Aaaah, that’s so beautiful to read, what an awesome relationship you had! I never knew either of my Granddads, they both died before I was old enough to remember them, and my parents have always been so sad about this. But I did idolise my Nan on my mums side! She was a proper matriarch, who struggled to raise 9 children with next to no money, but did a superb job of it. She really held our family together! I still dream about her a lot, and miss here very day. Like you, I’m looking forward to seeing the relationships between my 2 and their grandparents!
    #bestandworst
    This Mum’s Life recently posted…80โ€™s Kids TV Shows Versus TodaysMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 7:23 pm

Ah sorry to hear – hubby is the same. It’s great you had your Nan to look up to. She sounds amazing. You do think about them most days eh? xx

25. November 18, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Aw what a lovely post! My grandparents were always an integral part of my childhood and my own children have fantastic relationships with their grandparents. I am so proud of that because I know how much grandparents can enrich your life. Thanks for hosting #bestandworst and hope your Grandma is feeling better
    Becky (@attwtwo) recently posted…Why I’ll Let My Children CryMy Profile

November 18, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Thanks lots. I’m so glad you had such wonderful grandparents too and so pleased for your little ones too. Makes such a difference xx

November 18, 2015 / 9:06 pm

A beautiful post so heartfelt it looks like he was one of life’s really nice people. Fab photo thanks for hosting

27. November 18, 2015 / 9:18 pm

Such a lovely post. I lost my nan last year and it was so sad, not only did I miss her but it was that last generation of our family. #bestandworst
    Lisa Backsnbumps recently posted…31 weeks pregnantMy Profile

28. November 18, 2015 / 9:27 pm

This is a beautiful post, and such a great thing to have had someone like that in your life. We have been going through a lot of the same things in my family with unwell family and it really makes you sit back and think. Thanks for sharing and hosting! #bestandworst
    Nicole, The Domesticated Goddess recently posted…Be Aware, Be involved in your childs schoolMy Profile

29. November 18, 2015 / 10:30 pm

This is a truely beautiful post making me cry and smudge eyeliner across my face…thanks for that lol. but seriously such a beautiful post. I found myself thinking about my gran the other day, she died about 10 years ago and I have to walk past her old bungalow everyday to go to work and when I get the bus to go anywhere or when in the car (our street is across the road from her old house) anyway walking to work I walked pasted and saw the lights on and felt like if I walked up to the front door knocked and let myself in I’d see her, of course if id done that I wouldve got arrest by the old lady that lives there now.
    I’m sure she’d be in her 90’s now both my grandparents were in the war and worked for the RAF for a spell and have my grandads RAF tie pins. We should be proud of our grandparents. Again lovely post. Thank you for sharing #bestandworst

30. November 18, 2015 / 10:37 pm

This is such a lovely post. And timely for me. My Grandad just died a couple of weeks ago and his funeral was last week, the last of my grandparents. Your Grandad sounds lovely and inspiring, and I hope all is well with your Grandma. #bestandworst
    Silly Mummy recently posted…My Goodness: The Ten Funniest Things The Toddler Said Last WeekMy Profile

31. November 18, 2015 / 11:03 pm

What a lovely read. I love the bond we have with grandparents. I was especially close to my Nanna. It’s beautiful to read so many fond memories you hold, I wish your grandma lots of love and hopes she isn’t too poorly – she’s had a grand old life. I’d be more than happy to live that long, what a sensational set of grandparents you have. Beautiful. #bestandworst
    Mumisthewordblog recently posted…Is being disorganised the new organised?My Profile

32. November 18, 2015 / 11:13 pm

Such a lovely read….I was always jealous of my friends and their grandparents. I was the youngest of 5 and my parents were older having me. I only had one living grandparent and she was in Ireland (I am in Australia), hence I grew up without any. My Husband talks about the cakes his grandmother made and other stories, so I am pleased my kids are getting to know my own parents. Your Grandpa sounds like a gorgeous, warm , cuddly man. Lucky you indeed, to have such wonderful memories. I hope your Grandma is on the mend soon. xx #bestandworst
    Anna Brophy recently posted…MUMMY MUCKED UPMy Profile

33. November 19, 2015 / 1:34 am

This is so sweet. There is something rather special about a relationship with a grandparent. I lost my last grandparent last year and this post has made me feel nostalgic and happy – with a tinge of sadness but mainly happiness – that I managed to enjoy my time with all of my grandparents.
    Lovely post xx
    tracey at Mummyshire recently posted…Should we tell them the truth? #BestandWorstMy Profile

34. November 19, 2015 / 2:04 am

This is a precious post, I was only 3 when my first Grandad passed, my only memory is him putting down his newspaper and hugging me. My other Grandad passed when I was 17, he was the most gorgeous man, so funny. He lived far away so I didn’t see him a lot but we had a strong bond. I love seeing my kids with their Grandads, both are wonderful men, so I hope they live long so that my children can have them longer than I had mine. #bestandworst
    Mackenzie Glanville recently posted…Come Home.My Profile

35. November 19, 2015 / 12:26 pm

This made me smile and cry at the same time, fitting for #bestandworst I suppose. I can really relate. Firstly our Granddads sound very similar. Mine has just turned 97 in August, he is very unwell at the moment and we are lucky if he makes it pass Christmas. It’s a difficult time to live in another country, but I have facetimed my grandparents (via my mum) and we going back to Denmark for a visit next week. My grandmother is 87, and not well either. Bu he’s really deteriorated in the last couple of months, which is hard to witness. On the other hand he’s had a good and long life, where he was able to work up until this summer selling wine over the phone. He’s a salesman at heart and his work ethics are truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing this, it was a lovely read!

Nadia – ScandiMummy x
    Nadia – ScandiMummy recently posted…MAGIC MOMENT MONDAYSMy Profile

36. November 19, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Oh this is lovely, my grandad was also the best cuddler. I lost my beloved Granny at 16 and he followed her not many years after. They were both so young really. I loved them so much and they taught me loads and their legacy definitely lives on in me. I do miss them terribly but I feel as if they are still watching over me, I suppose it’s like a ‘love cloak’ that they leave to replace their physical beings. Which sounds a bit hippy dippy but the only way I can think to describe it. Thanks for hosting! #bestandworst

37. November 19, 2015 / 3:05 pm

My grandparents on my dad’s side were also wonderful hardworking people. The most generous, kind hearted people I have ever known. They really completed my childhood and I miss them terribly. At my wedding I had a photo of them framed and placed on a window ledge. As I came down the steps to walk down the aisle I walked past them and just felt like this is the closest they could be to being part of my day.
    This post has stirred a lot of emotions in me. Your words really resonate with me.
    #bestandworst
    Vix recently posted…Commuting, Fears and Bob the CatMy Profile

38. November 19, 2015 / 6:48 pm

What a lovely post. My grandad passed away when I was four so I don’t remember him, but like yours he had a strong work ethic, he was a bus driver and we have a brilliant picture of him standing next to his bus! I think things like that were a bit different in our grandparents generation. #bestandworst
    Rebecca recently posted…The 2015 Baby Changing Room AwardsMy Profile

39. November 19, 2015 / 7:26 pm

Such a lovely post and tribute to your Granddad Sarah. So nice that you had such a close relationship and he was such an inspiration. None of my grandparents live close, I met my dad’s mum once (she lives in oz) and though we saw mums parents a lot.more they lived in London so it was still.only few times a year. My Granddad got alzheimers when I was fairly young and not too long after he died my nan died of cancer. With all of our parents living nearby I hope it is.a very different story for our children! Xx
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…Tap Time โ€“ Water Play at 12 mthsMy Profile

40. November 20, 2015 / 6:28 am

What a lovely post. This reminds me of my nan who passed away a few years ago. She was wonderful, an amazingly stoic woman with a huge heart. Because I was a foster child, there have been times in my childhood when most of the adult members of my family have saidnor done things that have made me realise I wasnt quite the same as my brothers in their eyes, but never nan. She adored me and I adored her.
    #bestandworst
    Tracey Abrahams recently posted…Why I Wont Put A French Flag On My ProfileMy Profile

November 20, 2015 / 9:20 pm

Aww how lovely – I’m so glad you had her Tracey. Lovely memories and I’m glad she thought so much of you x

41. November 20, 2015 / 9:20 am

Ah grandparents are ace aren’t they? Such a lovely relationship. I can relate to your story because my Grandad has recently gone into a home, which has left my Granny on her own. So sad to see someone deteriorating but they’re not deteriorating at the same rate. He’s losing his mind and she’s as sharp as a knife! Both well into their nineties. I feel blessed to have had them in my life this long tbh. Your grandad sounds like a diamond. I hope he’s ok. x

November 20, 2015 / 9:19 pm

Oh bless it’s so hard eh? I hope your Granny copes. They have done so well!!