The Ever Changing Birmingham

The Ever Changing Birmingham

I took part in Bloggerlodge in Birmingham earlier in the year with Travelodge and had a fantastic break and stay. I have lived in Birmingham since 2008 and sometimes do not always get into the city as often as I would like. Part of our trip was visiting the National Trust Back to Back Houses, which really took us back in time to what life was like living in Birmingham many years ago.

Hubby and I had a fab stay in the Travelodge doing #bloggerlodge

Travelodge have created a fab feature that allows you to compare Birmingham now with how it looked many years ago. Having a nosey at this is a must for any Brummies. I cannot believe how much the Bull Ring has changed; going from a small shopping mall to the bright, mirrored building it is now.

brum

I have seen changes as I have lived in Birmingham, including the opening of the quirky (and enormous) new library but for me the most spectactular has to be the opening of the new Grand Central fairly recently. I was a bit ambivalent to what was happening, as overtime with work, I was not using New Street Station as frequently. I watched with interest as all the shops slowly closed in the Palisade Shopping Centre and work started by the exit to this on pedestrianising  the road.  I got lost a few times in the changing New Street trying to find my platform, trying to get out of the station and trying to get to Moor Street Station! As I am not the most visual of people, I really did not have a clue what the finished article of Grand Central would be like.

IMG_1693 (1)

A evening shot of Grand Central

I discovered this when going on the Bloggerlodge weekend and was bowled over. The general appearance of the outside of the station is just amazing. The silver; the stairs to the back entrance and the large paved entrance at the front. New Street had taken on a new modern, inviting feel to it. The station itself is bright and spacious and it has lost it’s claustrophobic feel.  It is nicer than a lot of the key London stations.

You then add on the shopping facilities; John Lewis, Pandora and Accessorize to name some of my faves. The bright and airy feeling is brilliant. Your nose and tastebuds are then overwhelmed as you wander about with some of the amazing food and drink available. I always fancy a plate of noodles when I walk by, as the smells are just mouth watering.  Hubby and I had breakfast in the new All Bar One and found it a treat. The bar was clean with smart decor and great food. I could imagine stopping for a cheeky Savignon after work if I was passing through.

IMG_1914

Treats at All Bar One

The atmosphere is brilliant and buzzing. It’s very busy and bustling but what would you expect from the opening of such a place?

I expect Birmingham will continue to grow, change and evolve as time passes. I am glad I will be living close by to watch it happen.

Binky Linky
The Reading Residence

thumbnailsize

1. December 11, 2015 / 7:24 am

I haven’t been to Brum in yonks!! Probably should remedy that at somepoint!! #binkylinky
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Our Week!My Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 11, 2015 / 6:37 pm

Def worth a shop and some vino! x

2. December 11, 2015 / 8:13 am

It’s ages since I’ve been to Birmingham though have enjoyed shopping there in the past. Will have to come and see what the grand central is like at some point! Xx
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…Getting in the Christmas SpiritMy Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 11, 2015 / 6:35 pm

It is definitely worth a trip xx

3. December 11, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Ah yes, Grand Central is quite special, isn’t it? Very busy when we went. I was pleased to spot Paperchase and Tiger there, and I love John Lewis, too. I’ve lived in Birmingham my whole life so kind of take it for granted, but you’re right this is a huge transformation from the old New Street x Thanks for sharing with #WotW
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 11/12/15My Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 11, 2015 / 6:34 pm

It’s so wicked! Thanks for hosting 🙂 x

4. December 11, 2015 / 1:18 pm

I got lost in New Street station when the work was going on – it looks amazing now. So interesting to think about all the changes that happen in a big city over time 🙂
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…The Friday Focus 11/12/15My Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 11, 2015 / 6:33 pm

I love it! Glad I am not the only nutter getting lost x

5. December 11, 2015 / 8:00 pm

I’ve been to Birmingham once, yet only remember the bullring! I may have to return to explore what’s new! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky
    Emily recently posted…Binky LinkyMy Profile

6. December 12, 2015 / 10:06 am

I visited Grand Central a couple of weeks back and was bowled over by the transformation. Like you I had no idea of what the finished result would look like and didn’t really give it much thought whilst the work was going on at New Street – it’s such a great place to visit now! We went to the tapas restaurant which I would definitely recommend. I do love Brum, we are so lucky to be part of such a great city xx
    Mum in Brum recently posted…#UsAfterYou – featuring Mum Muddling ThroughMy Profile

7. December 13, 2015 / 7:32 am

I haven’t been to Birmingham for a few years now but an desperate to – sure the amazing shopping!! Places change so quickly #binkylinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…My Sunday Photo 13/12/15My Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 13, 2015 / 6:31 pm

It’s great for the shops at the mo xx

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 13, 2015 / 6:31 pm

Oooh enjoy! It really is fab x

8. December 14, 2015 / 2:09 pm

Birmingham has had a major revamp, I love the train station now so open and light X #blinkylinky
    Mummy here and there recently posted…Snowmen {craft}My Profile

9. December 18, 2015 / 5:20 pm

I went to Birmingham a week ago for two nights. Me and my partner loved it! We were only 10 minute walk from the centre. We went to the Bullring Shopping centre, of course our feet hurt and we were so tired at the end of the day haha. We finished Saturday off by going to an indian 2 minutes from the hotel – It was lovely and lovely staff x
    Life as Mum recently posted…Pampers Baby-Dry Pants ReviewMy Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      December 18, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Ah brill bet you had a great time! Glad you had fun x