My Top 10 Ways to Stay Healthy

I’m a Dietitian as a lot of you know. I do have a passion for spreading a healthy message and helping others achieve their goals.

girl jumping at the beach

I’m one of those “lucky” people who tend to stay the same weight. Even after having my daughter it didn’t take long for the pounds to fall off and my body weight was back to where it wanted to be (maybe a bit less but that’s breastfeeding for you!). I’m not sure if this is because I know what I am doing, I’m active or just genetics! However, from this I thought I would share my top 10 ways to stay healthy and keep a healthy weight (and these are not just food related):

• Try and get a good amount of sleep. Any parents will be exclaiming what the f**k?? Sleep? What it that? It’s true parenting young monsters makes your bed the place of your wildest fantasies for a good few years but sleep is so important. It’s good for your immune system, mood, brain skills and also stops you stuffing your face all day. Lack of sleep affects the hormones controlling appetite and you are more likely to read for junk and eat a lot more. Try and go to bed early to get a few more hours shut-eye.

Having another #sneaky #nap #mygremlin #loveher #kids #toddlers #cosatto #mbloggers

• Try and exercise. I aim for 3 times a week at the moment and now I have my Fitbit I am trying (and failing to hit 10,000 steps a day. I have banged on a lot about exercise but it is an excuse for some alone time, helps you sleep, boosts mood, tones you up and helps maintain weight. You only need 30 minutes 5 times a week, as long as your heart rate is raised and you feel warm. This could be a walk in the park with the buggy and a fitness DVD when the littlies have gone to bed.
  • Try and be consistent with your eating. I sound like a boring old fart but if you have a good routine with meals and eat pretty similar (healthy foods), you are more likely to maintain your weight.
  • Have breakfast; you are more likely to eat and pick less unhealthy foods throughout the day. Try and pack in some protein, like eggs or have some slow release, fibre-packed oats to keep you going.
  • Don’t try faddy diets; no sugar, 800kcals a day, Atkins, grapefruit diet….I could go on. Granted, these will probably work in the short-term and you will lose weight. However, who can survive on grapefruits or 800kcals a day for next 50 years? Certainly not me. The NHS website has a fab 8 weight plan which is sustainable and written by Dietitians.
  • You can however, reduce the carbs, especially refined sugars (found in fizzy drinks, sweets, chocolate, cakes and biscuits) down a bit. I’m not saying cut carbs out completely, as they provide beneficial fibre and some B Vitamins but if you are not particularly active you can have less.  Have a lovely chicken salad for lunch or an omelette and try and snack on nuts and seeds. Another tip is to half your usual portion of rice or pasta and bulk up with veggies.

He eats #greens #health #hubby #dinner #mbloggers #breaktime

• Don’t drink you calories. This is a massive bugbear of mine. Why would you chug down a tonnes of calories when you could be enjoying some lovely food? It links to my point above about fizzy drinks and my point below about booze. Energy drinks, fizzy drinks, booze, juices and smoothies (despite the vitamins – eat the whole fruit!) pack in a lot of calories and rack up quickly. Water is always your best bet or a sugar-free squashes, teas and coffee (without sugar) are other choices. I  have a big Lucozade dislike. Why would anyone drink it unless unwell and needing some energy??? It is pure sugar!!
  • Watch the booze. If any of you are like me, rat arsed on 2 glasses of wine it may not be a problem but alcohol is a depressant and the next day effects can affect your motivation for fitness and you are likely to eat a tonne of crap. Alcohol causes your blood sugars to drop and dehydrates you. In my job, I see people who are tee total and then I see others who drink a hell of a lot. It can become a habit easily. Track your intake with a drinking app and try and cut down a bit. Less calories is also a bonus for your weight too.

Hell and yes!! #wine #christmasfilm #friday #chilling #family #mbloggers #kidfree

• Take care of your mind. This is so important If you feel low, anxious or depressed this will have a massive affect on your body (as so many of you lovely readers will have experienced). You may sleep less, lose your motivation for activity, either overeat or under eat. If you feel like you are not coping there are loads of self help books and clips on YouTube, including mindful meditation and mindfulness. You may want to try this or go and have a chat with your GP first.
  • Finally don’t deprive yourself! Life is for living and not all about calories counting and stressing about Fitbit steps. If you have had a good few healthy, active days, that glass of wine won’t hurt. Or that bit of chocolate. Don’t feel guilty; all in moderation and part of a healthy lifestyle!

So there you have it! Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments.

1. February 16, 2016 / 6:34 am

Great tips! You are very lucky to have good genes 😉 My mummy is curvy…but agrees that sleep is such an important way of staying healthy. Sleep when the baby sleeps was her motto! #TwinklyTuesday x
    Baby Isabella recently posted…A princess for a day!My Profile

2. February 16, 2016 / 7:23 am

Excellent tips Sarah, love how sane and practical your ideas are! I’ve also never been one for drinking my calories, I’d much rather eat something nice than have a soft drink.
    Robyn recently posted…GREY HAIR, DON’T CAREMy Profile

3. February 16, 2016 / 8:22 am

Oh fab advice! I so agree with all you have said but sometimes it is so hard to look after yourself when you have children – mine are older now and its easier to get them involved on a healthy family lifestyle so we are all engaged – not so easier when they are little mind you! #twinklytuesday

4. February 16, 2016 / 8:54 am

Great tips! I’m one of those annoying people who can eat whatever and not gain weight but I do worry about the effect that has on my general health and I probably won’t be this lucky forever. I’m definitely trying to cut down on carbs and swap chocolate/cake for healthy snacks. I definitely need to exercise more though. Will bookmark thus post for future reference 🙂 x #TwinklyTuesday
    wendy recently posted…Leo update – 2 years 6 monthsMy Profile

5. February 16, 2016 / 9:58 am

Great advice! Since changing my diet and exercising more I am so much more aware of what I eat and drink and do it all in moderation. Your so right that these fad diets don’t work. But I did do slim fast to aid my weight lose then when I stopped that I changed my diet and lifestyle and kept the weight off. #twinklytuesday xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…My Giant Fairy Tale Activity Book – Our ReviewMy Profile

6. February 16, 2016 / 10:19 am

Great tips! I so need to re-haul my diet, I think that it is mainly to blame for how crappy I feel every day. I am also annoying in that I can eat crap day and night and never gain an ounce, and due to that I have actually given myself high cholesterol, borderline type 2 diabetes and various other issues, solely through eating crap! My problem is that when I cut out all the crap, the weight falls off me and I’m back to square one. Its a vicious cycle! Any advice? #TwinklyTuesday
    laura dove recently posted…An interview with Eva, aged 3 years, 51 weeks.My Profile

7. February 16, 2016 / 11:51 am

Great tips. I tend to watch my weight quite avidly which is never a good thing so always make sure I go to the gym 3 times a week and eat healthy. But you are right, it is all about everything in moderation #twinklytuesday
    Kirsty recently posted…Am I finally getting ‘being a mum?’My Profile

8. February 16, 2016 / 6:50 pm

Excellent tips hon. I try and do a lot of these but am definitely struggling to shift the pounds at the moment! I am so not one for drinking calories either, I love food too much haha. I’m also thinking a lot about the balance too as much as I would like to be slimmer I don’t want to obsess about how many calories I am eating! Xx
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…Siblings February 2016My Profile

9. February 16, 2016 / 11:41 pm

Fab tips! I can’t eat breakfast, the thought of eating first thing makes me feel sick but I know I should try and at least have something better than coffee! And yeah, the sleep thing! I’m usually up until gone 4am and I don’t even have the parent excuse! #TwinklyTuesday
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…Blogging Courses: 6 Online Courses To Make Blogging EasyMy Profile

• February 17, 2016 / 5:07 pm

Back again! Thanks for hosting #bestandworst
      Debbie
      Random Musings recently posted…Avon Haul 7My Profile

10. February 17, 2016 / 7:18 am

I’m trying very hard to stay healthy but I live with a man who craves all kinds of rubbish! Theyre great tips though and even better when coming from a dietician 😉 x
    lizzie ( firstooth ) recently posted…A Mum Who Uses Her Kids As An ExcuseMy Profile

11. February 17, 2016 / 7:59 am

Great ideas! It’s the little daily stuff that makes a difference. I always walk up escalators if I can and take the stairs instead of the lift (well, unless it’s 11 floors or something!). #bestandworst
    Anita Cleare (@thinking_parent) recently posted…Why do children lie?My Profile

12. February 17, 2016 / 8:30 am

Sarah, I was very interested to read this – lots of great tips. Please can you clear something up for me? You said ‘if you eat pretty similar (healthy foods), you are more likely to maintain your weight’ – does that mean that if you eat a wide range of different foods you are more likely to gain weight? How does that work?
    x Alice
    #bestandworst
    Alice recently posted…More from my delightful girlMy Profile

13. February 17, 2016 / 8:48 am

Brilliant advice lovely. I really fancy a Fit bit, and I’m trying to address my cake issues in the way that you’ve suggested. Not starving myself or doing anything drastic, but just making sure it’s not in the house so that it’s only eaten as a treat if we’re out and about somewhere. So far so good! :0)

Thanks for hosting xx
    #bestandworst
    Rhyming with wine recently posted…A Valentine’s rhyme for The Hubby…My Profile

14. February 17, 2016 / 9:09 am

Great tips, Sarah! I need to follow some of these more. Thank you for sharing #KCACOLS

Nadia – ScandiMummy x
    Nadia – ScandiMummy recently posted…MAGIC MOMENT MONDAYSMy Profile

• February 17, 2016 / 9:14 am

Too early… that was meant to say #bestandworst of course. Defintely need to get better sleep 🙂 Thank you for hosting xx
      Nadia – ScandiMummy recently posted…MAGIC MOMENT MONDAYSMy Profile

15. February 17, 2016 / 9:26 am

Great tips! I know that I need to do more of this but am locking the motivation. Maybe this list will help… #bestandworst
    BecomeMum recently posted…Planting some new seeds. Hope.My Profile

16. February 17, 2016 / 9:35 am

This is probably my favourite of all your posts to date Sarah! I am probably a lot like you in that I’m lucky my standard build isn’t huge, and I have a natural affinity towards healthy foods. But of course I have my vices! I’m really trying to get more alive this year, but as my I watch tells me, I’m doing sometimes 8000 steps just in the house. No wonder I’m always bloody knackered!!!!
    #bestandworst
    Mummuddlingthrough recently posted…The blog about the Mog…and the babyMy Profile

17. February 17, 2016 / 9:36 am

These are great tips 🙂 Especially sleep and no faddy diets #bestandworst

18. February 17, 2016 / 10:23 am

Found this really interesting. I tend to lose motivation very easily when it comes to losing weight but I know I do need to…eek! #bestandworst xx

19. February 17, 2016 / 10:24 am

I really need to start going running again. I used to love it but London is quite a busy and stressful place to go out running, I might have to start getting up super early 🙁

#TwinklyTuesday

20. February 17, 2016 / 10:34 am

These are great tips and I am sure going to take most of these on board!
    Life as Mum recently posted…My Pram WishlistMy Profile

21. February 17, 2016 / 10:51 am

Hi Sarah, excellent advice. The best piece being avoid faddy diets. Hearing people talk about doing some of these crazy diets in the hope of shedding the excess pounds does make me cross, not so much with them but with the people who promote them. At the end of the day there is no magic potion to help people loose weight. It may not be easy, but by eating less (making the calories count) and being more active eventually the weight will shift.

Getting more sleep is a good tip too, I know that when I’m tired I tend to want to eat junk more, an urge I try not to give in to too often.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…The Zakynthos Walking Group Is Great For So Many ReasonsMy Profile

22. February 17, 2016 / 11:17 am

Great tips. I definitely need to sleep more, if I’m tired I end up snacking all day (like this morning). Early bed for me tonight. Thanks for sharing #bestandworst

23. February 17, 2016 / 11:30 am

Great post lovely……I love to see your dietician side come out hehe. You know me I’m always stressing about my weight…..I genuinely don’t know where you get the motivation from to go to the gym 3 times a week, I’m dead at 6pm lol. I try to make sure I walk when I’m off work and try to take the stairs instead of the lift where I can and things like that! Great tips, really like the NHS weight loss advice too. #bestandworst
    helen gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #38My Profile

24. February 17, 2016 / 12:24 pm

Great post! Although going sugar free (2 years now) was the best thing I did as a parent as it gave me TONS of energy back, which helps me run after my 4 little ones. #bestandworst

25. February 17, 2016 / 12:36 pm

Really sensible. realistic advice. Pinned for when I need to refer to it as I know I could do more.

26. February 17, 2016 / 1:59 pm

I’ve just sent this post to my husband. The last few weeks I’ve been yo-yoing between being good and being really bad. The sleep deprivation is the hardest. Day 3 into disturbed sleep and I’m eating absolute rubbish. I had a lovely healthly lunch and then feeling blue, finished it off with a chocolate bar :o(

Its so true about having breakfast, porridge keeps me going at work until midday. I’ve also stopped having a nutribullet shake and actually sitting down to enjoy a salad.

But you have inspired me and touch wood, Henry will be on the mend soon and I can catch up on sleep.

Great tips

Renee @peonieandme #bestandworst x
    Renee @peonieandme recently posted…#BestandWorst…Being a Mum (Parent) is tough…xMy Profile

27. February 17, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Great tips!! I’m still sticking to a carb free, healthy diet, I know you said it might not be necessary, but I don’t miss them! The biggest change I’ve made is giving up alcohol… Aaaaahhhh….!!!! I’m hoping this will be the thing that makes the difference! I’m sure how you are made makes a lot of difference, my mum is a teeny tiny size 8, and always has been, and put on very little weight during pregnancy, and my dad puts on weight really easily, and it looks like I’m the same! Anyway, I’m not planning on giving up until this weight is gone!
    #bestandeorst

28. February 17, 2016 / 3:27 pm

Really like this Sarah and I agree on it all. I am a little jeal that the LBs “drop off you” haha I am good at eating clean/healthy, but tend to be an emotional eater which isn’t good with everything weve gone through. I need to work on sleep SOOO bad, I am rubbish but it makes a HUGE difference to my mental health! x #bestandworst
    Mary recently posted…The GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test)My Profile

29. February 17, 2016 / 3:41 pm

Thanks for the tips! I definitely need to drink more water and watch the refined sugar. I think it’s great that you’ve included the mental health point too, this is so important and so overlooked! Thanks for hosting #bestandworst 🙂
    Nicola recently posted…Does the M25 Know?!My Profile

30. February 17, 2016 / 4:30 pm

Excellent tips! I think I’m one of those unlucky ones who gained weight during pregnancy and struggle to get back my pre-pregnancy weight, although I have lose a bit but not much. Thanks for this great advice! #bestandworst
    Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby recently posted…Gro to bed – ReviewMy Profile

February 17, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Great tips HELP i feel so unfit I need to do all of these. Thanks for hosting #bestandworst

32. February 17, 2016 / 8:41 pm

I love these Sarah! I’m such a huge believe in consistency and everything in moderation. Small tweaks here and there to diet and exercise etc can pay dividends. Im always banging on at the Mr about making small changes that you can maintain and sustain over time which is what I do, as opposed to purging on the latest exercise fad or diet which is more his approach and never really lasts! These are great tips of things you can do to make a real difference to your health and Ill definitely be trying to do lots of these types of things after baby number 2 has arrived 🙂 Emily #bestandworst

33. February 17, 2016 / 9:19 pm

Thanks for sharing these tips. I’ve recently got my FitBit in the attempt to shed the Dad Bod. I’ve started to incorporate it into the daily routine with pacing up and down at night trying to get the youngest back off to sleep etc. Makes those mundane activities in the early hours a little more interesting. #bestandworst.
    OneDad2Sons recently posted…Every Bit helps in getting FitMy Profile

34. February 17, 2016 / 9:39 pm

Great tips! I’m usually a pretty healthy eater, but I developed a sweet tooth when I was pregnant and it hasn’t disappeared. Cutting down on the sweets is going to be hard for me – that and getting enough sleep (not that I have much of a choice there!). #bestandworst
    Katie/Squirmy Popple recently posted…Things I want my daughter to know about being a womanMy Profile

35. February 17, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Ah sleep, I miss those days! I have definitely noticed how much more frequently I get ill since having a baby, which I can only put down to my immune system being depleted through lack of sleep, so I know what you mean with that one. #BestandWorst
    Min recently posted…How I Ended Up as a Single MotherMy Profile

36. February 17, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Really great tips, I’m always so worried about making sure my littles are healthy that I forget to look after myself but these tips remind me how important and easy it is to be healthy, thank you! And thanks for hosting #bestandworst
    Hannah G recently posted…A Muddy Walk in the ParkMy Profile

37. February 17, 2016 / 10:04 pm

There are some great tips here Sarah, Me and Matt have been trying new healthy meals more but we are a work in progress lol #bestandworst

38. February 18, 2016 / 12:38 pm

I love this as it is just timed with a huge shift in my whole attitude to keeping healthy. I think the key for me is ‘be healthy’ not ‘be skinny’. I’m relatively lucky like you in that I stay the same weight really but I admit I am partial to sugar! I used to get really hung up on calories so now I choose ‘good’ fats like avocado etc and these keep me feeling full and I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself. The sleep one though?! Ha ha I wish! Thanks for hosting #bestandworst

39. February 18, 2016 / 1:33 pm

Some great advice there. I’ve actually linked up a post up this week about how I have started doing fitness DVD in the morning and jogging in the evening and hoe much I’ve been enjoying it. I never knew that exersize could feel so liberating.

Thanks for hosting #bestandworst
    Unhinged Mummy (aka Janine Woods) recently posted…It’s All About The Skinny. Or Is It?My Profile

40. February 18, 2016 / 10:03 pm

That’s awesome I didn’t know you were a dietician, these are awesome tips and from a great source 🙂 We have made a lifestyle change to eating clean and my husband and I both lost a lot of weight. Although we fell off during the holidays so trying to get back in a routine. Thanks for sharing #bestandworst
    Nicole, The Domesticated Goddess recently posted…Boy’s Bedroom MakeoverMy Profile

41. February 19, 2016 / 10:53 am

Great tips Sarah! I’m relatively good with eating healthily and I hate fizzy drinks! But I’m sooo bad with exercise. Luckily we have a dog, so he gets me out of the house twice a day. I have an app on my phone which records my steps which definitely helps to keep me motivated. Those FitBits are a great ideas xx #BestandWorst

42. February 19, 2016 / 4:37 pm

These are very well-rounded tips. I, too, like to enjoy a glass of wine sometimes too often. I’ve tried to make it “better” by switching to red wine, but I never knew they had an app to track your drinking! That’s such a smart idea. I’m pinning and stumbling this post. <3 Happy Friday!
    Lindsey recently posted…5 Habits Of Healthy FamiliesMy Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      February 20, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Thanks Lindsey! Great to hear x

43. February 21, 2016 / 6:24 pm

Coming back from #abitofeverything. One tip my mum shared with my recently which makes sense is to avoid foods with more than three ingredients. It sooinds odd but when you think about it, simple foods like meat, veg, fruits beans, pulses and potatoes are all just one ingredients whereas processed foods are loaded with lots of different ingredients.
    Thanks for sharing with us, Tracey xx #abitofeverything

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      February 22, 2016 / 9:54 am

That’s a really good one as yes so unprocessed! I guess herbs and spices on top of those would be fine too! x

44. February 22, 2016 / 9:18 pm

Ooh Tracey’s mum’s tip is such sound sense. Although we do have some very healthy foods in our house (tonight we had brown rice, mushrooms, broccoli, tuna etc etc) I do have a terrible bread habit and love my fry-ups! There are entire days where I realise I’ve not had a single raw vegetable. Room for improvement. #abitofeverything
    absolutely prabulous recently posted…The #OopsFiles 3: Guest Blogger Maybe Baby BrothersMy Profile

• mm
      RunJumpScrap
      February 23, 2016 / 8:59 pm

I reckon a fry up isn’t that bad!! x