Distracted

Distracted

I love social media, blogging, chatting and generally messing around on my laptop and phone. It takes a strong person to sit down to a task in hand and complete it with no distractions. I am crap at doing this and admire anyone who can.

It has been a very long time since I “lived” in a way, with no distractions. My phone is always around; another picture to share, blog post to read, Facebook stalk to do. My daughter is calling for me or a task comes into my head and I must do it now.

I actually feel like I had forgotten what is was like to be truly engrossed in one thing. Even at the gym I may be messing around with track changes or chatting in a class.

This was until this week.

Since quitting my job on a Monday, I have given 4 weeks notice to the gremlin’s nursery. This means I tend to drop her off for half a dayish and have some time to get a few things do, gym, clean (ahem), blog and chill.

This week I met up with the lovely Iona from Redpeffer, who I met through blogging and just randomly chatting to on Twitter. Iona’s very pleasant two small people are at school during the day and although we have all met in school holidays, usually it is just a trio when we meet; us ladies and a small gremlin. I am very lucky that said gremlin has actually been really well behaved on all occasions (a scone and a babycinno will help with that) but sometimes you just want some adult chat.

So gremlin in nursery on a Monday = Mummy bit of free time = lunch date with another lovely adult! Woop!

We met at 11.30 for lunch (I’m pregnant and hungry and Iona is just hungry). At 1.45pm we had to leg it for shopping and school pick ups. That time flew by and I can’t remember that last time I have sat uninterrupted for that long and just chatted, not looked at my phone or been distracted. I can’t remember the last time I was in a cafe and ordered a second round of drinks or went for pudding! It’s been a very long time and it was lovely.

I came out feeling really good and refreshed and thinking I really need to do this more often. I need to leave my phone at home more often or deep within my bag, especially if going on date nights with hubby.

I really think we are in a world of distraction. Hubby and I went out for a meal a few weeks ago and sat watching a teenage girl on her phone the whole time whilst her Mum and Dad were chatting. What was the point of that family meal? It looks bad. It is bad and I know I need to continue to rediscover that art of conversation and being able to sit with one thing at a time; whether it is time with my gremlin, meeting a friend or doing some crafting.

Focusing on just one thing and becoming so absorbed is a feeling I don’t want to forget!

The Reading Residence
Linky

1. May 20, 2016 / 6:48 am

Oh yes I’m awfully distracted all the time! It’s terrible but I do make an effort at meal times to put the phone away and focus on family time 🙂 #binkylinky
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Best and Worst Linky #50My Profile

2. May 20, 2016 / 10:23 am

my phone is definitely too attached to me- looking forward to putting it down during my holiday and seeing how I manage!!
    #binkylinky

3. May 20, 2016 / 1:03 pm

Greta post and reminder. My phone is always near me, though like you, when meeting with a friend I ignore it which does feel so much better! Glad you and Iona had fun 🙂 Thanks for sharing with #WotW x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 20/5/16My Profile

4. May 20, 2016 / 1:03 pm

I am always getting distracted. It is terrible…It’s all the fault of social media and the fact I have no willpower.
    It sounds like you had a lovely lunch.
    Kim Carberry recently posted…I have been planning. #WotWMy Profile

5. May 20, 2016 / 1:38 pm

Great insight and you’re right. Totally right! I even eat my lunch whilst doing something on social media whilst I might thinking about the washing! Distractions and trying to do ten things isn’t always good and I think getting rid of Distractions is something I should do more often.
    Enjoy your distraction free four weeks xx

6. May 20, 2016 / 2:48 pm

It’s so easy to get distracted by your phone isn’t it? I always try and make an effort to ignore my phone when I’m with friends because I personally find it really annoying and rude when you’re talking to someone and they stop listening to do something on their phone. With my family though sadly it is a different matter and I need to Mage more of an effort with this. A few weeks ago I had a whole day at home with the kids when I banned myself from social media because I kept getting sucked in and distracted. I thought it would be hard but I loved it and the day went so much smoother
    Louise | Squished Blueberries recently posted…Creativity Without TalentMy Profile

7. May 20, 2016 / 10:20 pm

It’s true that technology can be such a distraction. Then there’s the other extreme when you don’t use it at all and need it in an emergency. #WotW
    Helena recently posted…Happy Days: Be Brave and BeautifulMy Profile

8. May 21, 2016 / 8:23 am

I agree, it is so easy to get distracted these days, yet so lovely when we do actually get engrossed in just one thing. Glad you had a lovely adult time out #wotw

9. Mud Cakes and Wine
    May 21, 2016 / 8:51 am

It’s only when you do this that you realise how much you gain, I totally agree and will do the same #justanotherlinky

10. May 21, 2016 / 4:13 pm

Iona is one of the loveliest bloggers! DOnt tell her I told you haha. But I guess you alreday know.

Social media can really eat up so much time. I was thinking of how to balance being a blogger and being a mother and mostly being an example to my son about how to use the internet!

Still finding the right balance but I hope someday I can control my social media obsession =)

#wotw
    Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) recently posted…A Learning ProcessMy Profile

11. May 21, 2016 / 7:08 pm

I use my mobile as a distraction far too much. FB, Twitter, comments, other blog posts, linkies, Instagram, I’m terrible! I feel like I might be missing something if I don’t check my phone constantly but in reality I’m probably missing more in the real world as a result! #justanotherlinky
    Mess and Merlot recently posted…The Mummy Fan Club (Members: 2)My Profile

12. May 21, 2016 / 8:21 pm

I’m with you on being constantly distracted, I always have something on my mind or something I need to do. I think one day I need to just put my phone down and not be distracted #binkylinky xx
    Something Crunchy Mummy recently posted…What Made Me Happy This Week #11My Profile

13. May 22, 2016 / 6:05 pm

Hi Sarah, how nice of you to make a friend in real life through blogging! I find I am my most distracted when I actually sit down to blog, as for me blogging is everything from social media to reading and commenting to post writing and image editing, and I end up trying to do it all rather than focusing on one thing at a time. Finding the balance isn’t easy though.

I’m my least distracted when I’m out for a run or a walk, I don’t take my phone when I run (although I probably should).

xx

14. May 22, 2016 / 6:59 pm

Quite often I’ll hide my phone in another room to lessen the distraction, but now and again I’ll go get it for a nose – mainly at nothing in particular! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky
    Emily recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile