Houdini

My gremlin adores our neighbours. We moved into our new house and really it was because my mate who coincidentally lives next door, pushed me to go and view it!

My mate has 2 children; a girl who is 5 and the gremlin idolises and a boy who is one day younger than her. They all play really we together and it’s made me realise the gremlin is very ready for a sibling and company. She is very sociable and just wants a playmate.

Last Sunday we had been into town for a restaurant review and I wasn’t feeling too good (not the food!). Just an uncomfortable tummy and very tired, so I was sat in bed chilling. The gremlin, as usual, was my shadow and was hanging around wearing her princess dress. We heard our neighbours in the garden and she stated she was ‘going to see the little girl’. I was not fussed. Hubby was in the garden and the grem usually heads out and shouts messages over the fence, asking to be lifted up to see her little friends, whilst they have fun in the garden.

A little while later my neighbour text – ‘you know the gremlin is here?’

IMG_6829

What?!

I peeked out of my bedroom window. Hubby was sat in the garden gardening and my daughter was next door bouncing on their trampoline!!

Turns out she literally was going to see her friend; well in her little head anyway! Transpired she opened our front door, ran down the drive, up my friend’s drive, past her hubby who was working shovelling gravel. He was very confused apparently to why my daughter had just pegged it ALONE past him! The little stinker then ran in through the garage, found her friends and asked quite nicely for an Oreo cookie (or 10 I’m since told). She then made herself comfy on the trampoline!

I was mortified! Obviously it is very lovely she regards next door as a second home and is very safe and secure with them but Jesus! It’s the first time she has ever done something like this and we are so lucky to live on a very quiet road and she just kept to the path, running around to see her friends.

After much apologising, hubby went and extracted her, in tears as she had to leave. Cue me having a little talk with her about never leaving the house without Mummy or Daddy and not visiting our neighbours without us. She took this very well and has since repeated she must never do it. Always with the gremlin if you don’t get too cross with her, most of it goes in and is processed. I realise this after she came home with her hair bobble proudly secured in her pocket after moaning previously about them going missing at nursery. Bless her.

So I learnt my lesson;

1. Lock the front door always!
  2. Take my daughter’s plans literally!

Luckily I saw the funny side immediately, especially after I discovered she asked for a cookie. Cheeky beggar! We were lucky and all’s well that ends well…for now!

My Petit Canard
My Kid Doesnt Poop Rainbows

1. August 8, 2016 / 7:06 am

This sounds exactly like my daughter! She let herself into our neighbours garden on Friday night and they were happy as anything having a “picnic” until I had to spoil the fun by explaining why we don’t leave the house without Mummy!
    Liane recently posted…Pregnancy So Far.My Profile

2. August 8, 2016 / 7:13 am

Oh bless her! The other day Youngest announced she was going to the shops. I thought she was playing games until I heard her somehow unlock the front door! I have never moved so fast. I found her with her little shopping bag and everything. Eeeks. Sometimes they really mean what they are actually saying :- ) #MarvMondays
    Emma recently posted…5 ways to add the coastal look to your bedroomMy Profile

3. August 8, 2016 / 7:42 am

Oh wow, bless her and like you say good she feels safe there but also good she now knows she’s not allowed to do that! We get on well with our neighbours and the kids love their trampoline too. Their eldest is nearly 9 so sometimes she comes over and collects Leo and takes him round. I don’t let LM go unless I go too though she has tried to climb the fence a few times so I reckon she would do this when she’s older! Xx
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…Mummy’s Crazy Countryside AdventuresMy Profile

4. August 8, 2016 / 8:35 am

Oh dear! But it’s lovely that you know if she ever escapes again she’ll just go there and not wander off or cross the road. We have a tiny play park almost opposite our house and I always try to walk H along the road too far then cross so she won’t just come straight out our door and run across. How cute about her hair bobble, fingers crossed she understood this too, and will be happy once her little sibling has arrived to play with xx
    New Mummy Blog recently posted…What made mummy happy #6My Profile

5. August 8, 2016 / 11:51 am

Clever and independent….and terrifying! My tot has opened the front door before but hasn’t quite figured out how to get down the steps yet. Shan’t be long I imagine.

#fartglitter

6. August 8, 2016 / 12:45 pm

Gremlin you little terror! She must have given you the fright of your life!! Short Rib has started to throw wobblers when we close the doors on him, so I think he might turn into a little escapee in the not-so distant future! #MarvMondays
    Amy @ Mum’s The Law recently posted…BLOGGERS: FIVE OF MY FAVOURITESMy Profile

7. August 8, 2016 / 8:58 pm

Haha ohhh noo, shouldn’t giggle but it’s quite sweet :0 Alfie has done something similar but not quite in the neighbours house but their garden. Little monkeys eH! Popping over from #marvmondays
    helen gandy recently posted…Summer Dresses with House of FraserMy Profile

8. August 10, 2016 / 7:05 am

Oh my! That must have been scary! It’s good that she likes and trusts your neighbours though! #bestandworst
    Emily recently posted…Family Meals out at Pizza ExpressMy Profile

9. August 10, 2016 / 7:05 am

Oh my! That must have been scary! It’s good that she likes and trusts your neighbours though!! #bestandworst
    Emily recently posted…Family Meals out at Pizza ExpressMy Profile

August 10, 2016 / 7:29 am

Frightening but she was ok that’s the main thing brilliant post love the photos #bestandworst thanks for hosting

11. August 10, 2016 / 2:59 pm

I always have to lock our door otherwise Leo would be straight out in the garden or in the care home seeing the oldies (we have on site work accomodation!). I’m glad she got over safely and that she knows not to do it again xx #bestandworst
    wendy recently posted…A very cakey day at The Cake CollegeMy Profile

12. August 10, 2016 / 3:26 pm

Oh no! Must have given you a real fright. I’ve never had a problem with my son (now 7) but his two year old sister may be another problem, she always running off to explore when we are out and I seem to spend my life chasing her. After reading this I’m going to start locking the front door before she gets any ideas!
    #bestandworst

13. August 10, 2016 / 4:50 pm

oh my goodness! nightmare! they get some ideas in their heads and just go for it don’t they! #bestandworst

14. August 10, 2016 / 7:20 pm

Oh gosh what a worry!! Mine are also houdinis, I can be sat here thinking they are happily playing in the playroom and when I go in they are nowhere to be seen! Mine have developed a love of playing hide and seek too, so even when I’m searching for them, and getting frantic, they don’t make a peep! Glad she was okay, I did laugh that she had asked for a cookie! She’s so adorable! #bestandworst
    laura dove recently posted…Oh I do like to be beside the sea…(part two)My Profile

15. August 10, 2016 / 8:31 pm

Oh God when they get this clever it’s frightening isn’t it?! We have a front door that can be unlocked by little one and when we’re heading out, off he goes! Every time I tell him he mustn’t go out of the door without me but will it sink in?! He’s also totally smitten with our next door neighbour’s children too and frequently ends up on their trampoline. It’s great that they all love each other and get on but not so good when you have plans and have to say no to the plans they’ve made together without checking with us first! Cue the tantrums and tears! Nice to know I’m not alone in this! One day we will stop stressing. Or not. #bestandworst
    Jaki recently posted…An afternoon at Jungle TownMy Profile

16. August 10, 2016 / 9:31 pm

I have to leave the front door locked at all times now. My son hasn’t got friends to go and visit but he will open the door to the postman (I was in the shower!!) or just go and get his scooter and wait for me at the bottom of the drive, just forgetting the part where he actually tells me the plan. They are cheeky little things aren’t they! #bestandworst
    Briony recently posted…Feeling Calm #29My Profile

17. August 10, 2016 / 9:46 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! I’ll be double checking that the front door is locked from now on lol!! How lovely that she felt so comfortable with your neighbours to do that though, thats such an old school way of life that you dont see everywhere any more – I dont even know my neighbours names!! #bestandworst
    Hayley McLean recently posted…What Is The #SoundOfHappy?My Profile

18. August 10, 2016 / 10:18 pm

Oh my goodness how hilarious and terrifying! I’m sure she now understands what she can and can’t do – but what a little monkey! #bestandworst
    OddHogg recently posted…Sleep Regression?My Profile

19. August 11, 2016 / 12:11 am

Oh gosh how scary-but at least she took it in when you spoke to her. Piglet is starting to get to the stage now where he will run off without so much as a second glance. He’s not one to listen to reason so far, but hopefully that stage will come! #BestandWorst
    Min recently posted…Extended Breastfeeding and Parenting JudgementMy Profile

20. August 11, 2016 / 4:34 am

Such a cute story. I’m so glad she didn’t wander off!

21. August 11, 2016 / 8:08 am

Goodness! That must have been unnerving to say the least! I often forget that sometimes T is being literal and will just do what he feels he wants to do. Kinda scary xx #fartglitter
    Laura recently posted…Keep Your Family Organised with DroppaMy Profile

22. August 11, 2016 / 8:21 am

Oh bless her! A bit scary when you think about it, but she sounds like such a sweetie! Good lesson for a mum-to-be though, take everything they say literally… Noted! #bestandworst

23. August 12, 2016 / 10:20 pm

That brings back memories for me. I had a friend who would be passed over the foliage at the top of the garden to play with. #bestandworst
    Helena recently posted…Word of the Week: SickMy Profile

24. August 13, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Little monkey, that is very cute though. #Bestandworst xx
    Caroline recently posted…Happy Days #5My Profile

25. August 17, 2016 / 12:03 am

Haha – bless! When I was a kid, we had a CAT who would do that – she’d go missing & then we’d see her in the neighbour’s window – but my kids haven’t yet! Bet they would if they thought of it though! #bestandworst
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Toddler Latin for BeginnersMy Profile

26. August 27, 2016 / 9:39 pm

Oh gosh, how scary! Luckily though as you said, your neighbour in this instance was your friend and it was completly ok. Its funny how these little one minds work so literally. I realised that just the other day when the little lady literally did what she said she was going to do, but I took what she said to mean something different. They are funny little things 😉 Thanks for sharing this on #MarvMondays. Emily
    My Petit Canard recently posted…Making Memories: Boats, Private Islands & MauritiusMy Profile