Stoppit and Tidyup!

Did anyone watch Stoppit and Tidyup as a kid? Me and my brother loved it. It was narrated by Terry Wogan and he was fabulous. I get slightly worried when I feel so old though. It was made in 1988. I had to be a bit naughty and nick the image below but I hope it brings back some memories.

gherkin_feast

Our fave character was Tidyup, due to the crazy noises he used to make, he always ended up getting a raw deal and he was hilarious. He’s the purple chap with blue hair.

The whole point of the show was the characters were named after common moaning phrases that us parents come out with to their kids. They all live in the land of Do As Your Told (yeah right gremlin!!) As a child I was aware of this (nagging mother) but of course you NEVER understand anything as a child. You need to have children of your own to understand the frustrations; the nagging and the desperation of parents some time.

I thought I would have a look at the characters and see if I am am using all these nagging phrases with the gremlin. I can already anticipate yes, as she has hit a lovely threenager phase of not listening. The joys!

Stoppit – oooooh yes – stop poking your sister. Stop eating your Daddy’s flip flop. Stop stealing blueberry wheats out of the cupboard. This list is endless.

Tidyup – your socks, your toys, your Play Doh, your clothes don’t live on the landing; into the washing basket please! I do like a tidy house.

Eat Your Greens – not this as such but definitely eat your veg. Sometimes the first thing the gremlin says to me when she comes home from nursery is “I ate all my vegetables!” Dietitian Mother? Err yes.

Clean Your Teeth – ah the gremlin is a good girl with this one. We help her but she always obliges.

Not Now – sadly this has become a little more since Piglet’s arrival. Playing game of Elsa and Anna with her attached to my boob can be difficult. Luckily the gremlin has taken it in her stride and often plays alone a little more.

Wash Your Face – again the gremlin is good here and obliges both in the bath and when I chase her with a wipe. She even wipes her own without prompting.

Say Please and Say Thank You – yes and no. Sometimes my gremlin is golden with her manners. Other times when she is demanding something, they go out of the window and some serious prompting is needed.

Go and Play – holy crap when I was pregnant, this ALL I said. She was incapable of playing alone and I was constantly her fat and uncomfy playmate. Since Piglet has come, we have the best of both worlds. She plays alone and I play with her.

I Said NO! My favourite phrase. You are NOT climbing on the worktop to get nuts and raisins. You are NOT having the iPad. You are NOT putting your 5th outfit on today. I SAID NOOOOOOOOO!

Comb Your Hair – not yet. This is more like pin the gremlin down and I comb her hair and tie it up. You would think I was murdering her sometimes,

Bee-Have and Bee-Quiet – yes! Bee-Have we are about to go out. Bee-Quiet and stop screeching in Piglet’s ear or pushing around the nosiest toy you possess at 6.30am.

Calm Down – saying this in the midst of one of the biggest meltdowns ever or when the gremlin was stung by a bee was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. The gremlin NEVER calms down when she is really upset; always in her own time.

Take Care – nope usually be careful! Like when she falls off her chair AGAIN in the kitchen when she is climbing to help. I have banned her crappy plastic chair from the kitchen but somehow it appears again and she falls off it again. FML.

Go To Bed – haha. I have said this one so many times I may record my voice and play it on loop.

Don’t Do That – I said that today actually when the gremlin kicked me in the face when I was pushing her in the swing and yesterday when she made her sister gag sticking her finger down her flipping throat. Double FML.

Hurry Up – I try not to say this one, as I feel mean, especially if the gremlin is looking at something on a walk. My alternative phrase is “come on darling”. Slightly nicer. Often I want to say “Hurry the frick up and how many times do I have to ask you to put your socks on???”

So it appears I have become my Mother!

I actually step back sometimes and listen to myself and I can’t believe I am a Mum and I am saying what I am saying. Me? How did this happen?

I annoy myself with some of it but they do need to be said if I want to keep my sanity and keep my gremlin alive.

Whoever came up with the concept of Stoppit and Tidyup must have been a parent!

My Petit Canard

1. November 7, 2016 / 6:57 am

Great post! Stop it and Tidy Up bring back memories!! should definitely make a comeback! I think all mothers find themselves using at least one of those phrases at least a few times a day!lol #MarvMondays

2. November 7, 2016 / 9:49 pm

I actually don’t remember this but those phrases, uhh ohhhh I think I use these alot lol. Popping over from #marvmondays
    helen gandy recently posted…Similac Growing Up Milk – ReviewMy Profile

3. November 8, 2016 / 11:10 pm

I don’t remember this programme but I certainly know all the phrases (embarrassingly). And yes I sound like my mother too & now totally get why she said these things! #MarvMondays

4. November 9, 2016 / 7:33 am

I say most of this things to my toddler. Totally with you on the go and play when I was pregnant. Near the end it took too long to get myself up to get on the floor and play with him. Im the early days I was constantly telling him off for being to rough with Kai, thankfully its getting better with the two of them. We have nightmares with max’s teeth but I suspect his molars are coming thru so this may be playing a big part. Thanks for sharing #bestandworst
    kris recently posted…Blogger Outreach Project – This is me!!!My Profile

5. November 9, 2016 / 8:34 am

Oh my god of completely forgotten about this and I used to love it. I’m heading off to YouTube to watch some now! #bestandworst
    Briony recently posted…Feeling Calm #41My Profile

6. November 9, 2016 / 8:44 am

Just popping back again through #bestandworst. Not sure if you got my last comment lovely as I think it got spammed! (Those pesky spambots). Today I’d like to add “Leave your nose alone” to the above list please ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for hosting lovely. x
    Rhyming with Wine recently posted…“Nonfire Bite.”My Profile

7. November 9, 2016 / 9:17 am

Why can’t I remember this show??!! #bestandworst
    Rach recently posted…Third Time LuckyMy Profile

8. November 9, 2016 / 9:25 am

I have to admit I wasn’t born when this was made….. but I can totally see me using these later! It’s inevitable really! Although I will also try and avoid the “Hurry Up” though, they don’t know that you are desperate to get home to do the laundry/dishes/watch trashy telly #bestandworst
    OddHogg recently posted…Breastfeeding – When Is The Best Time To Stop?My Profile

9. November 9, 2016 / 9:32 am

Great post. Ah the memories… And yes I’ve said quite a few of those phrases myself! #bestandworst

10. November 9, 2016 / 9:41 am

Ha, I’ve never seen this programme, but I can imagine it was a frustrated parent who created it, it’s genius! We definitely say “I said NO!” a lot at the moment (my son has turned into a vampire and is biting everything in sight – clearly didn’t get the memo Halloween is over!) but I’m sure it won’t be long before all the other phrases are trotting out my mouth! #bestandworst
    Something About Baby recently posted…Top Ten Toddler EssentialsMy Profile

• November 9, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Popping back from #MarvMondays to say I’ve since googled this programme and now want to watch it on Youtube when I get home tonight!!
      Something About Baby recently posted…Top Ten Toddler EssentialsMy Profile

11. November 9, 2016 / 10:16 am

I can’t remember this but the picture does look really familiar. I have said all of those, almost daily for the last 10 years! #BestandWorst
    Natasha Mairs recently posted…Our Review of the Kids ParcelMy Profile

12. November 9, 2016 / 11:14 am

Mine are all teens, or almost teens and I am still saying all this stuff, they just don’t always respond! #BestWorst

13. November 9, 2016 / 4:42 pm

I had never heard of this but my goodness I say these all the time! Especially I said NO because the toddler thinks NO is just a temporary word and can do it ‘tomorrow’!! #bestandworst
    Amy recently posted…A Family Day Out At Paultons Family Theme Parkย My Profile

14. November 9, 2016 / 4:53 pm

I have never heard of this show, sounds interesting X #bestandworst

15. November 9, 2016 / 5:44 pm

Hmmm, you’re feeling old? Oh my goodness, I had left school and started work in 1988, suffice to say I have no knowledge of this programme at all, but whom so ever thought it up was a genius and most definitely a parent. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it and yep, I’ve used all of those phrases, I think #bestandworst x
    Lisa recently posted…Celebrating Wednesday’s #1My Profile

16. November 9, 2016 / 6:49 pm

I never saw this show, but it looks fabulous! I am going to try to find it for my kids! #bestandworst.

17. November 9, 2016 / 8:15 pm

I’ve wracked my brains and I really don’t remember this programme!! What channel was it on?! I love reminiscing about old tv programmes. It’s frightening how they’re suddenly so long ago though! Happy Birthday by the way! I hope you’re having a great day! Xx #bestandworst
    Jaki recently posted…A Positive Mind – Wednesday Wisdom 5My Profile

18. November 9, 2016 / 9:26 pm

I remember this show well — and loved it too! You’re right, the writers *must* have been parents of small children!

19. November 9, 2016 / 11:46 pm

I totally say ALL those phrases; normally at screeching volume. We do our best. #bestandworst
    Mummy Muckups (Anna) recently posted…BONZA BARZURAMy Profile

20. November 11, 2016 / 6:47 am

I don’t remember the show as I’m a few years older (shh), but I definitely say all of these things on a daily basis, I have definitely become my mother. It’s a sad day of recognition x
    #Bestandworst
    Alana – Burnished Chaos recently posted…Words To Live By #6: Do Not JudgeMy Profile

21. November 11, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Popping back from #bestandworst
    helen gandy recently posted…Our Week!My Profile

22. November 11, 2016 / 10:36 pm

Oh my the old kids programmes were the best. I remember this one so well but it seems to have skipped my husband by perhaps it didn’t air in France. #bestandworst
    Helena recently posted…Word of the Week: BeginningMy Profile

23. November 11, 2016 / 10:57 pm

Never heard of this show or these characters but they sound like fun. Oh so many of your phrases sound familiar. There should be a parent dictionary or things you think you won’t say but totally will. Made me smile. #bestandworst

24. November 13, 2016 / 4:32 pm

I haven’t heard of this one before – but I lived in Germany in 1988 so perhaps that’s why! Sounds like fun! #bestandworst
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…#MySundayPhotoMy Profile

25. November 14, 2016 / 7:43 pm

I don’t remember it ๐Ÿ™ maybe im not as cool as you haha! I do however know I say most of these things too as a parent and I do annoy myself also x #bestandworst
    Mary Smith recently posted…Volunteering For SANDSMy Profile