My Top 10 Gym Tracks

Music. I pretty much have it on all the time. Some may say this is a bad thing, as it is a distraction but it was how I was brought up. Mum would have the radio on constantly and kept up with all the pop music. My Dad never drove without his beloved U2, Sting, Simple Minds or Bryan Adams to name a few, so it’s natural for me to follow suit. The gym is a place where you NEED music. I’m currently not back at any of classes yet due to taking it easy after Piglet and a knee injury so music for my work outs is a must. Some of the songs I listen to regularly I have listened to for years! So I thought I would share my top 10 gym tracks and a bit of a story (short…don’t worry) behind each. In no particular order of preference or time period…

Track 1

Firestarter by Prodigy

This is awesome for getting the motivation going; sure starts a fire (like what I did there?) I still have memories of that video of Keith Flint prancing around in that tunnel. My Mum used to hate it but now think she quite likes it! Classic and it always gets listened to.

Track 2

Right Here, Right Now by Fat Boy Slim

Again, I just loved the video for this when I was growing up and the base and beat are brilliant for cardio. It reminds me of being at high school. Now with all the CGI advances, the video looks crap.

Track 3

Zoo Station by U2

Have you ever watched the film About a Boy when they play this? Love it. U2 were one of my Dad’s fave bands and I also love them. The beginning of this song sounds AMAZING when played loud with good headphones.

Track 4

King by Years and Years.

I have listened to this song about 10 billion times over the last couple of years. I love it! Such a catchy song and after seeing them last year (they were brilliant), I play it in the gym most times I go. I love the lead singer, Ollie – so cute!

Track 5

Addicted to Bass by Puretone

This one just reminds me of being at college and the charm is in the title – Bass! It is great for a workout and getting the endorphins pumping.

Track 6

This is What You Came For by Calvin Harris and Rihanna

I have been listening to this track for months; all the way through being pregnant and will always remind me of my car journeys to and from work, at the later stage of my pregnancy. I just never seem to get sick of it! It’s really current and pop but I love it.

Track 7

Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine

This one actually makes me laugh as I used to HATE it. My ex boyfriend loved it and I gave him so much stick many moons ago. However, as time has passed I realise it is brilliant for weights and especially good if you have had a bad day at work. It is sweary though, very sweary!

Track 8

We Found Love by Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris

I do like a bit of Ri Ri. This is another I have been listening to for a long time now. I love the video and it’s another really catchy one. She looks amazing in it.

Track 9

One Vision by Queen.

Bit of a random oldie but the drum solo in this one is amazing! I’ve been a Queen fan since I was a kid; I had a T Shirt and everything!

Track 10

Sandstorm by Darude

This is a classic from my younger years and quite potentially a very annoying song. The video involves a lot of running and I used to play this when running all the time. It’s brilliant for cardio.

And there you have it! It’s random, it’s kind of cringey but it gets me through my workouts.

What are your favourite tracks to exercise to?

1. January 9, 2017 / 11:18 am

HA! This is similar to the types of things I need on when I’m (attempting) running too! Especially Darude Sandstorm! Thanks for sharing your list! #marvmondays
    Devon Mama recently posted…When Parenting Becomes A CompetitionMy Profile

2. January 9, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Ah We Found Love is one of my faves as was out the year me and Paul got together! Fab list. Not sure what I’d have on mine as I tend to just stick to podcasts! Thanks for joining us as always for #marvmondays

3. January 10, 2017 / 11:21 am

That Addicted to Bass song brings back some memories! I used to love it (still do!) Great list of songs here.
    #MarvMondays

4. January 10, 2017 / 11:59 am

Brilliant soundtrack there m’dear! When I was going to the gym I had the most random playlist but my absolute favourite was Can’t Touch This by MC Hammer!!!x #twinklytuesday
    Mrs C recently posted…Mama-ing in the country: How did we get here?My Profile

5. January 10, 2017 / 12:10 pm

Well you certainly look good on it so they must work! I don’t vary my exercise enough and mostly run, but not to music, I use it as thinking space to plan and create ideas. More effective for it’s creative use than as exercise as I forget to try! #TwinklyTuesday

6. January 10, 2017 / 2:26 pm

Great selection and very varied! A cuple of my favourite tracks to run to are you don’t know me by basement jaxx and a new fave is howl by biffy clyro, funny how the wrong tempo of a song can massively demotivate me if I am flagging whereas a good one can really push me on! xx

7. January 10, 2017 / 5:12 pm

I can’t bear listening to music when I’m exercising – I find it so distracting as I like to have space to think! Misery Guts however is always plugged in and wouldn’t run without music! #twinklytuesday
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…A last letter to my GrannyMy Profile

8. January 11, 2017 / 7:53 am

Some great tunes there! I tend to be lazy and listen to the playlists on Spotify. The Nike running one is a good playlist. #bestandworst
    Emily recently posted…New Years Resolutions for My Husband 2017My Profile

9. January 11, 2017 / 7:53 am

Emily recently posted…New Years Resolutions for My Husband 2017My Profile

10. January 11, 2017 / 9:00 am

Exercising without music is a total chore! Some really great songs! I LOVED About A Boy, now I feel like watching it again! #bestandworst

11. January 11, 2017 / 9:01 am

I did a similar post last January and I recognise one of your tracks on mine – the amazing Rihanna! I bloody love some of these tunes you’ve chosen. Aside from U2…I have big issues with U2!!! Great list #bestandworst
    Rach recently posted…Wanting Another BabyMy Profile

12. January 11, 2017 / 10:08 am

Ooh you have some CHOONS on there! I’m rubbish at exercise but always have music on and and when I get round to it – and always run to music! Fab choices #bestandworst

13. January 11, 2017 / 1:12 pm

Thanks for sharing. Introduced me to some new tunes, so that’s always fun! 🙂
    Mandy recently posted…Wordless Wednesday #1My Profile

14. January 11, 2017 / 2:32 pm

Thats quite a variety that you have there! i tend to listen to angry music, like your Rage Against the Machine or Korn while lifting weights, then I switch over to old school rap, Ice Cube and such for when I’m doing cardio. Looking great Sarah
    jeremy@thirstydaddy recently posted…Who We Choose To CheerMy Profile

15. January 11, 2017 / 6:27 pm

These are some great tracks! Excellent choices. I love me so Rihanna!
    #bestandworst

16. January 11, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I love all of these. Very strangely my 7yr old has become obsessed with Prodigy and plays their music all the time. Every single time one of their songs comes on him and his 2yr old sister go mad and start dancing around the room
    Alana – Burnished Chaos recently posted…Words To Live By #11: Be CommittedMy Profile

17. January 11, 2017 / 8:53 pm

That is a varied track list haha. Darude reminds me of my Magalluf days, I used to like alot of dance and trance type music when I was spinning really got me going 😀 #bestandworst

18. January 11, 2017 / 10:14 pm

Decent playlist

I’ve found that listening to music when running makes you always start running to the beat regardless of how hard you try not to.

19. January 12, 2017 / 4:29 am

We’re total opposites! I rarely ever have music on! I like hearing people/noise around me! Have thought about taking up running though and that might be a good time to have music keeping me going – will have to try your playlist. #bestandworst
    Naomi recently posted…What My Neighbour SawMy Profile

January 12, 2017 / 2:15 pm

Love the selection I need this to wake up in the morning let alone exercise love firestarter thanks for hosting #bestandworst

21. January 13, 2017 / 5:54 pm

Great soundtrack! In fact, I’m going to ask Google Home to play it all for me, in that order, and see how the kids enjoy it! Thanks for sharing #bestandworst

22. January 15, 2017 / 10:20 am

Great choices! I love music too and our house was very much like yours growing up . And in the gym I defo need music – I find I do a much better workout. Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…Siblings (January 2017)My Profile

23. January 15, 2017 / 11:54 pm

Gym music is soooo important! If i don’t have a good lively beat then i am stuck in the mud! #bestandworst