6am I Hate You…..

I remember when I was training to be a dietitian one of my placements was in Bradford. I was staying in Leeds and it was going to be a 90 minute commute each way. This meant leaving the house at 7am. This meant getting up at 6am.

I was shocked.

Genuinely shocked. What was this time 6am? Would I be hearing the cockerels calling?

It seemed that CHUFFING early.

I probably hadn’t really seem 6am since I was a child, pissing my own parents off waking them up. In fact I didn’t actually believe a time like that really existed.

I didn’t know how I was going to do it. I was never going to get up at that time. But you know I did. And I was surprised how many other people were up and about in Leeds train station that early too!! This was the real world. Not the lazy student world, where my earliest time up was 8am and that was on a good day.

The placement ended and after a summer of staying up all night and getting up at almost lunchtime, I moved into the world of full-time work which similarly meant early rises most days. However, the weekends of extra sleep heaven made up for it.

Then I had a baby. Then I had an even bigger brain fart, as I had another.

The early rises are standard aren’t they? Well for most people. My oldest friend from school who I hope won’t mind me saying is one such person who doesn’t have to deal with this. Her daughter is a sleeper. She has to be woken. She’s a kid who will have a late night and then actually catch up and sleep in. I often want to punch my friend when she tells me this.

My girls are good sleepers during the night and I never moan about that, but they get up early. 6am is standard; mainly the eldest but the littlest is starting to follow suit. You think I would be used to it by now. But no.

I hear the pitter patter of tiny feet. I’m half asleep. The door opens with a bang. The gremlin comes bounding in. She is dressed. She is brimming with life. I’m told I will really miss this, when she a teenager in her pit until 12pm (!). I half open an eye. I think perhaps it’s 6.30am. Maybe even 7am? Maybe I have had just a little more sleep this morning.

Nope, it’s 6am or worse….it’s 5…sodding 55am. The time at least has to start with a 6 or all hope is lost. Those two minutes mean EVERYTHING!!!

We have tried ignoring her, telling her to go back to bed and play. The latter is insane as she just goes and wakes up her sister and climbs in her cot. We have a Gro Clock but I have one of those kids. The one who actively presses all the buttons, until it goes orange. I can’t make my mind up if I want to lavish her with love and kisses and beam proudly at her initiative, or throw her out of the window.

“Why do you get up so early?” I ask.

“Because I’m not tired,” she answers. The beautiful logic of a 3 year old.

Recently, hubby and I have been stupid. Blogging, messing around, pillow talk and suddenly it’s 10.45pm. Combine that with taking a bit of time to nod off or little Piglet waking for a feed, I’m a little tired. I am quite often found day dreaming about sleep, talking about sleep and thinking of my bed.

6am I just hate you at the moment.

Can’t you just be 7am for a while???

1. July 10, 2017 / 7:34 am

My kids are both early risers. The Gro clock did help with them both however I’ve just come to accept that this is the time they are ready to get up and now I (much to my hubby’s annoyance) I just get up and crack on. Feels much better making use of the time but I’m one of those annoying morning people, ha! x

2. July 11, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Don’t hate me, but my kids are all late sleepers too! It may sound heavenly (and on the weekend it is), but when you have to get them out the door for school, it is a huge pain. I’m rushing around, trying to get breakfast made and lunches packed, and I have to go back to their bedrooms 15 times to shout “Get up! You have to get out of bed! You’re down to 2 minutes before the bus gets here! GET UP!!!!!” It’s ALWAYS a fight. They NEVER want to get up. But I do feel for you having to always wake up so early. It’s nice for me on Saturday mornings when I get to sleep in. #twinklytuesday

3. July 12, 2017 / 7:58 am

6 am is OK, I don’t mind that. It’s fairly acceptable. 5.45 however is not. Nor is 5.59am! Thanks for hosting #bestandworst
    Fran Back With A Bump recently posted…Project Kitchen: Week 3My Profile

4. July 12, 2017 / 9:10 am

It never gets easier. In fact, I think I had better sleep when my son was a baby! #bestandworst
    Rach recently posted…Bra WarsMy Profile

5. July 12, 2017 / 11:55 am

We’re just coming out of the 6am phase, I hate that time too! #bestandworst

6. July 12, 2017 / 2:04 pm

So now my oldest two get up around 730 and just watch tv and get their own cereal. heaven. The twins dont sleep well at night so they sleep in til after eight. Having to wake them to get the bigs off to sports or school KILLS me…I earned that 8 am sleep in dammit!
    Not.F-in.Fair.
    #bestandworst
    kristin mccarthy recently posted…Best Friends For NeverMy Profile

7. July 12, 2017 / 8:39 pm

It is solid and sometimes my son wakes at 4am and then that is it. No matter how many times, I get so fed up and of constantly putting him back to bed. I think this is karma for when I was younger I was exactly the same 😉 X #bestandworst

8. July 13, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Erghh it’s exhausting isn’t it!! *yawn* You know you can set the gro clock so it locks and can’t be fiddled with? We used to have to do that with Alfie! #bestandworst
    Helen Gandy recently posted…Simple Ways to Lift Your Spirits!My Profile

9. July 14, 2017 / 9:04 pm

We got the sleeper. Not sure how or why. I learnt to keep very quiet as I didn’t want anyone punching me in the face either!

Maybe as they both get older …

10. July 14, 2017 / 10:11 pm

Ha ha, I’ve thankfully been lucky so far and my two stay in bed till 7 most mornings. The only problem is no matter how tired I am I’m awake and unable to sleep after 5:30 so end up getting up to make the most of the peace and quiet. I actually enjoy this time but I really need to start going to bed at a reasonable hour, it’s getting awfully close to midnight most days at the minute and I think my brain may be shrivelling through lack of sleep!
    #Bestandworst
    Alana – Burnished Chaos recently posted…Review of Diggerland UK – *Plus Giveaway*My Profile

11. July 18, 2017 / 8:52 pm

It’s the best time of the day! I get up at 5.45am in order to exercise before Misery Guts goes to work! #bestandworst
    Crummy Mummy recently posted…Are you a naked house?My Profile