10 Things That Change as Your Child Gets Older

My gremlin is approaching 5 years old now. I can and I can’t believe it at the same time. Time does fly but I do feel I am appreciating her at this age. I’d heard quite a few bad things about kids getting to four; the “fournager” but apart from her saying “no” a bit more and being completely ridiculous, I don’t feel I lose it with her that much anymore. Sure it will come but hey!

Things just start to slowly change, as they start to get that bit older. You start to see that innocent little toddler turning, well in my case, into a little girl. Not just that, a person! A person with thoughts, opinions, wants and dislikes, just like we have.

It’s hard though, as you always seem to think of them as an extension of you but they aren’t. They are little independent, frustrating, little beings and there is nothing you can do to stop them changing.

But what changes? This is what I mean.

– They start telling you about things that you have no clue about. Apparently I say L.O.L. Surprise wrong, when I am talking about them. I walk through toy shops and she is explaining what everything is. When did I get so out of touch?

– She doesn’t always want to hug me. I went into her school recently to do a talk about healthy eating and expected her to give me a nice hug goodbye. Forget that! She had gone off with her friends and me and teacher were looking for her, as she pretty much vanished. Thanks darling!

– She is fascinated by swear words. She soon learnt the word s**t, well I am her Mother! However, she then started asking if every other word that came out of my mouth was a swear word, giggling away. Oh the joys.

– She wants a new bed. A single normal bed will not do anymore (I blame YouTube videos). Not even a bunk bed will do. A kids mid sleeper bed with tent will do Mummy; I like the way I have a den, as well as a bed. The simple life is over eh?

– They astound you with what they remember; their little brains are like sponges. I still cannot believe my daughter can read and write. It doesn’t seem possible. She’s still a baby!

– She is so much more independent. I hate to say it but an older child is easier. Of course she hangs around a lot and drives me potty but she goes off and plays, draws, watches telly, gets herself dressed. It is so much easier.

– She is just lovely company. I’m not saying a toddler isn’t fun but trying to take them out into town or for a meal is a bit of a mission. Taking my 4 year old is almost a pleasure. She eats her food, holds my hand and lets me look at clothes. I can’t complain!

– She can be helpful. I try not to be on her back all the time but she starting to put her clothes in the washing basket, she will fetch me things and she is starting to get that she needs to tidy up and not leave mess everywhere. This comes in very useful with a crazy toddler running around too.

– They make you laugh a LOT! It’s not that cute “look at them” laughing you get with your toddler, it’s word mispronunciations, simply crazy behaviour, toilet humour and her just being her. Life is never serious with my gremlin.

I’m embracing it and embracing her a lot too. My funny, kind, ridiculous, wind up merchant of a daughter is changing everyday. I know it won’t always be funny and easier but I’m making the most of it whilst it is!

Disclosure – this is a collaborative post.

* indicates required

1. April 16, 2018 / 4:30 pm

She is such a character and such a cutie! Five is a nice age as they still need you quite a bit but don’t have *too* much attitude!! x

2. April 18, 2018 / 7:59 am

Oh I agree, whilst the attitude with mine can be a little challenging, most of the time she’s very funny, well behaved and really interesting to talk to. It’s so lovely #BloggersBest
    Kayleigh recently posted…A Nursery for our New BabyMy Profile

3. April 18, 2018 / 10:03 am

Savour every second! They grow up too fast. Your gremlin is adorable!

#bloggersbest

4. April 18, 2018 / 1:12 pm

So many things change when kids grow. Personalities are just the beginning. #bloggersbest

5. April 18, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Awww I really enjoy my daughters company too – she is nearly six. my 4 year old is also great company when shes not being difficult. the 11 month old mind you… thats a different story!!! #bloggersbest
    Kayleigh (Mini Human Resources) recently posted…8 Realities of Sleep DeprivationMy Profile

6. April 18, 2018 / 7:17 pm

My son can have a right attitude but I love their little quirks as they have gotten older and the observations make me lol a lot X #bloggersbest

7. April 18, 2018 / 8:27 pm

Aw, cute post. They really do change so much through the years. It’s crazy! I was always amazed by my oldest niece’s memory. It’s crazy!! #bloggersbest

-Lauren
    ShootingStarsMag recently posted…The Dark Divide by D.K. StoneMy Profile

8. April 19, 2018 / 12:47 pm

The whole parenting thing is very weird … we want them to go up, be independent and their own person … but we don’t … I’ve still not figured it out and the Tubblet is 14!
    Tubbs recently posted…RainMy Profile

9. April 19, 2018 / 3:39 pm

Mine is only one and a half and already not hugging me when I leave her at day care. Her memory of the worst possible things is astounding. When she saw my husband pat my butt as he walked through the kitchen, she picked up on that habit very quickly and we cannot seem to break it.
    #BloggersBest

10. April 19, 2018 / 7:15 pm

I can post! Hooray….I think it was my end btw sorry about all the fuss!
    Anyway, what a gorgeous little one you have and yes, they DO grow up fast but I look at your little one and think, she is so little. Wait until she is 18….now that was fast. I just can’t believe my little one is 18! Lovely post to look back on too. #bloggersbest

11. April 19, 2018 / 9:15 pm

I’m enjoying four, it is certainly a challenge but it’s fun. The sponge like memory gets me into trouble though, as my memory sucks so there’s hell to pay if I forget something for him. He’s perfected his eye roll, just to keep me in my place too. #bloggersbest

12. April 20, 2018 / 12:23 pm

My daughter is 5 and seems so grown up, don’t get me started on Matthew who is nearly 8! Zach has just turned 2 and is very much a baby still. It is heartbreaking that they are growing up but so lovely to see the people they are becoming #bloggersbest