My gremlin has hit the 18 month mark. It’s fabulous really. Tottering around, chatting all the time and generally quite good fun. The word “no” is a firm favourite probably like many other toddlers and we are finding our monster has some habits already we cannot break; some annoying, some gross and some just down right hilarious.
So here we are, “Mummy, I just don’t want to stop…”
- Giving you a golden shower. Man this is gross as I tend to have a bath with her a lot of nights. I know it’s mega diluted but still? It’s the thought of it! We try to get her to have a little “sit” on her potty beforehand but it does sweet FA. This one may take a little more time.
- Eating raw pasta from the cupboard. This is just weird! If she gets through the stairgate into the kitchen she is straight for the cupboard and gets a small piece of pasta into her mouth. She doesn’t eat it fully, just holds it in her mouth until we can catch her.
- Drinking the bath water. Stopping my gremlin doing this is near impossible. She uses ANYTHING to achieve her goal of a warm mouthful of bubbles (and her own wee). Teeny holes in her bath toys, swimming on her front and swallowing it. Who knows? She likes warm water.
- Throwing my food remains on the floor. This is one of those ones where I’m going for a quick count to 10 before sorting her out. We have tried telling her know but when she’s finished it either gets a surreptitious throw or a mad frenzy of her arms taking everything off her highchair table. Mega annoying.
- Switching the speakers off half was through my television programme and then shouting the name of the programme 10 times until you put it back on again. Go figure?
- Trying to sweep the kitchen floor with a brush that’s twice my size. The brush gets dropped on her, smashed into cupboards and taken into the lounge. We’ve resorted to hiding it in the garage.
- Eating your lipbalm or my crayons and play dough. This usually results in spitting the contents of her mouth everywhere as they must taste minging. You think next time she would stop? Think again.
- Asking for a fromage frais morning, noon and night. She has 1 a day if that but it doesn’t stop the barrage of requests with that cheeky little grin,