I’ve been back at work for a week and I’m not going to lie I’m tired. It’s a big transition going from lazy days at home to leaving the house at 7.15am and having to use your brain all day.
It’s going to be tough juggling blogging and work. When I started blogging, it was just a hobby and to most extents it still is. Towards the last three months of my maternity leave I did suddenly start getting offered more paid work; reviews, sponsored posts and even some bigger brand work.
It made me realise I could make some extra pennies alongside my job as a Dietitian but I knew it would be a challenge.
But how would I manage?
I knew going back to work would sap up a lot of my time. I’ve had a few days kid free whilst the gremlin was at school and Piglet trialled nursery. I knew I would miss this time at work and let’s face it blogging takes time! A lot of it. Social media, photos, scheduling. It is not a walk in the park at all.
I knew I needed to think a little about what I was going to do to maintain it and work 3 days a week. These are my strategies:
– Reduce posting. It has to be done. Over the last month, I have had to resort to often multiple posting to get all work published. This is not going to be possible. I have a long day on a Thursday and know I will not want to come home and complete any social media. Thursdays and Sundays need to be quiet days.
– Think very carefully about accepting what I may be lucky enough to get offered. It’s so easy to say YES to absolutely everything but I won’t be. For reviews I will be having serious discussions with hubby about if we need it. I will be asking for budget more if perhaps it’s a lower value item.
– Continue to use Pinterest. I have been trialling this for about 4 weeks now and it has made a difference to my traffic and is beating Twitter and sometimes Facebook for my views. I need something that will give me a few daily views on the days I don’t post. I will try to ensure I keep up with being a week or so ahead with my scheduling.
– Blog in the car. Two mornings week I have 20 minutes to sit in the car before I start work. I will not be messing around on social media and if I have posts that can be drafted, like my own stuff or a sponsored post, I will write it quickly on my phone.
– Do what I need to do on a workday morning and just leave it for the day. Post on Insta. Pin. Share my posts, join in with a few social media threads and that’s it. I don’t need to do anything else until lunchtime or until the evening. I need to split my work and my blogging worlds.
– Use my time effectively. It’s so hard in the evenings to get distracted with my phone or social media but I will know how precious that time is. I will be focusing and not chatting, as I will want some TV and chill time too.
– Ask for an hour or so at weekends and tag team a little with my husband where possible. I know some weekends we may be busy and this may not happen but where it can I will be doing this to get ahead for the week.
– Don’t beat myself up if I can’t be a social media queen. I’m finding it hard enough to post to Instagram daily as it is. I don’t have the photos now the gremlin is in school and I’m in work. You can’t do it all. If one platform slides, it’s not the end of the world.
– Don’t beat myself up generally. Blogging is not my job. It’s a hobby that is earning me some money at the moment. Life, kids and my job have to come first. Fear of Missing out is tough but an email can wait.
I’ll keep you updated with how I’m getting on!