10 Things I Will Do Differently at BritMums Live

10 Things I Will Do Differently at BritMums Live

So I lost my BritMums Live virginity last weekend. I’ve been blogging since January and after convincing my hubby it was so worthwhile, I forked out the ticket price. I had a ticket booked!

In short it was fab. I recognised so many lovely bloggers and it was lovely to get recognised in return. I learnt a lot and meeting the awesome people I have been chatting to online for 5 months was just amazing. Their insight and tips were just second to none.

Since going I have seen some really brilliant round ups by Tim, Emily, Martyn and Michaela. So I didn’t want to to re-do this or really re-invent the wheel.

I loved BritMums but what would I do differently if I went next year?

• Try and get a sponsor. After chatting to some fellow bloggers I realised it wasn’t so cheeky to tweet out a request or ask directly. If you don’t ask you don’t get and hopefully my blog will improve in the next 12 months.
  • Not take 100 business cards. I gave away around 15-20. This was quite a cost on top of my ticket and train ticket.
  • Follow my gut about a session and not follow the crowd. I was guilty of this a couple of times and regretted the session I went to.
  • Get up and walk out of a session if it wasn’t for me. It took me until the last session to actually get the balls to do this and it was so worth it. I learnt lots about Pinterest. You have paid for that ticket if you are not sponsored, so get the best out of the sessions!
  • If nothing does look that appropriate on the sessions take a break, speak to the brands and collect your thoughts. It’s a long 2 days and busy. Also this may provide some time to chat to another person who has thought the same thing.
  • Dress up a bit more! I bought a dress for the Saturday but wore jeans on Friday and wish I’d gone with my nerve and glammed up a tad more. Some people looked amazing.
  • Take a better bag. I took a huge Mary Poppins satchel and could not find anything! I need something with pockets that I can organise my phone, business cards, chargers better. I looked like a right muppet delving around for ages for a card.
  • Bring some healthy food. This may not be for everyone as who doesn’t like cake and sweet stuff? But there was an awful lot of it and I really fancied some fresh fruit in the breaks with a cuppa.
  • Stay right until the end! I was missing my girlie and wanted to see her before bed. A lot of people did leave so I thought I would too. However, it sounds like the keynote speakers at the end were awesome.
  • Drink a bit more wine! I was quite careful in what I had (especially as was zonked after 3 hours sleep the previous night) but it was free and lovely. I am even more gobby (and rude) after alcohol but maybe next time I may be a bit less reserved!

* indicates required

1. June 26, 2015 / 6:11 am

Yes to more wine! I spotted you a couple of times but one of us had always disappeared when I looked back
    I walked out of a session that wasn't for me but felt soooo guilty for it!!!! xx #wotw

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:29 pm

Oh pants! Maybe next time? xx

2. June 26, 2015 / 6:37 am

I was glad I took some time out from some of the sessions and just had a cuppa and mingled for a bit – I think I would have struggled with information overload otherwise. Agree with you that some fresh fruit would have been nice too although I do love cake! Was so lovely to meet you at Britmums 🙂

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:29 pm

I felt the same! It was a bit intense at times. I think we needed fruit and cake!! Lovely to meet you too x

3. June 26, 2015 / 7:15 am

My sister and I were talking recently, and we both said as much as we love sweet treats we need to have something fresh inbetween! Even though there are things you'd do differently, it sounds like you had a great time 🙂

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:29 pm

Aw glad I'm not the only one! Thanks it was a blast x

4. June 26, 2015 / 9:16 am

Sounds like you had a good time 🙂 I'm yet to be brave enough to even consider going there, but I love reading about everyone else's experiences! x

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Aww you should do next time…it's like a big family x

5. June 26, 2015 / 9:41 am

Great post – it was my first Britmums Live too. Good points – personally I am glad I didn't drink too much – there were a lot of heavy hangovers on Saturday x

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Thanks lots. Yes my head was fine on Sat! Was behaved x

6. June 26, 2015 / 11:46 am

So pleased that you enjoyed it, and it sounds like you took lots from it, as well as learns for next year x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Definitely. Thanks and for hosting xx

7. June 26, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Sounds like you had a fab time and also learnt a lot. Some great tips there for those of us who didn't go, you should re-share these before next years britmums! Xx

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Thanks Caroline and that's a great tip x

8. June 26, 2015 / 12:18 pm

Love this! Agree with the wine comment & the idea of sitting a session out. I wish I had; this I over did it! By Saturday afternoon I was really flagging. With regards to bag with pockets, I had a couple of business cards & my phone in my actual pockets at all times & the rest in my bag; made for easy grabbing the two things I was constantly reaching for!

Good shout on the fruit front too, I was surprised there wasn't any!

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:32 pm

That's a good idea! I so should have had more cards and bits easily accessible! I wished there was some slightly more healthy snacks but I thought that was my dietitian brain talking xx

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:32 pm

Me too and yes to wine!!!x

9. June 26, 2015 / 5:18 pm

Interesting I always assumed that you'd need lots of business cards to hand out, but I guess a huge amount of people already know each others blogs (I'm thinking it would be like trade fairs where everyone swaps cards all the time).

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:32 pm

I think you are right…I knew so many of the bloggers and there were not tonnes of brands! x

10. June 26, 2015 / 5:52 pm

I don't know – I think I'd be really sad if somebody walked out of a session that I was speaking at, especially if more than one person did it. I think it's only polite to wait until the end if you've committed to being there.

I sat out of a few sessions on day one as I had one of the twins with me, and it was a great opportunity to get some socialising in there! Brand stands were quieter during the session times, too.

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:33 pm

I guess so…but sometimes I misunderstood the topic and it went over my head or was not relevant. I still think I would do it! Eek. Sounds like you had some chill time which was good for chatting with the brands! x

11. June 26, 2015 / 6:54 pm

a lot of what you have written rings true to me I couldn't make it this year but went last and I wish I had gone to more sessions and made more of the time everything goes by so fast I think being organised before the event is key I will be going next year though so I am hoping to live by what I have learned great tips #binkylinky

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:34 pm

Thanks so much and hope you can go next year! x

12. June 26, 2015 / 7:40 pm

Great list! I can relate to these and we will get it right next year 🙂 #binkylinky xx

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:34 pm

Hope to see you next time Kirsty!! x

13. June 26, 2015 / 8:36 pm

Glad you had a great time! And well done for going at all – as a new blogger I have to say that I'm way too scared to go to anything like that yet – although, I'd love to one day. Maybe next year?! #WotW

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:34 pm

aww I'm quite new and would say just do it! Definitely next year x

14. June 26, 2015 / 8:53 pm

Thanks for the tips – i didn't go to this year but am planning to go next year. See you there? X

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:34 pm

Definitely! x

15. June 27, 2015 / 8:25 am

Next year I want to go and be tipsy, gobby and rude with you!

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:35 pm

HELL and YES!! Do it x

16. June 27, 2015 / 9:44 am

Brilliant advice. I found myself in a few classes I would have liked to swap over…but being in a wheelchair it was tricky to get in and out but next year I will hopefully be walking and be able to follow this advice which is brilliant! .
    P.s I also gave out about 20 business cards. It was different to what I expected but good!

Angela xx

Angela recently posted I am the Blogger who peed in a field http://wp.me/p5XRN6-1KD

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:35 pm

I can totally imagine that made it a bit tricky. Fingers crossed for you next time. Thanks for the kind comment x

17. June 27, 2015 / 10:09 am

Sounds like an awesome list! I wish I can go next time and I would have the guts to ask for sponsors! #wotw

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:36 pm

I'm going to ask for sponsors if still blogging! Hopefully next year see you! xx

18. June 27, 2015 / 12:26 pm

It sounds like you had a fab time and learned a lot!

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:36 pm

I did Kim was great x

19. June 27, 2015 / 3:32 pm

Glad you had a great time. It is all new to me so I am interested to read about it. #bigfatlinky

• mm June 27, 2015 / 3:36 pm

Thanks Kirsten…maybe you can go next time xx

20. June 27, 2015 / 5:26 pm

Glad you had a great time. I've learnt heaps from the round up posts. #bigfatlinky

21. June 27, 2015 / 6:47 pm

A great post. Everyone looks like they had a fab time, i like your spin on it and will be taking hints and tips down as i so hope to go next year! xx

22. June 27, 2015 / 6:58 pm

Ha ha last year was my first year and I didn't drink much wine as I was nervous, I was bit braver this year, it was fab wasn't it, I had a fab weekend, and I loved the pinterest session it was amazing x

23. June 28, 2015 / 12:16 am

First off, it was lovely to meet you, Sarah. For me, meeting so many other friendly bloggers made such a big difference to how I felt about the event. Indeed, for next year I think I will be much more selective about which sessions I go to – I'm quite happy to spend the extra hour chatting to people rather than spend it sitting in a session I'm only half-interested in.

And it's definitely well worth staying for the bloggers' keynotes. Such a powerful session, and a reminder of just how amazing and powerful a blog can be when you listen to examples of the very best of bloggers. Really inspiring stuff.

24. June 28, 2015 / 8:42 am

Love this post Sarah! Sounds like you had a great time all in all, but there's always room for improvement isn't there. I only made it for three and a half hours on the Friday, total mare but these things happen. It's a shame I didn't get to meet you xx

25. June 29, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Sounds like it was a great conference, and definitely yes to more free wine next time! #wotw

26. June 30, 2015 / 1:01 am

Good points to note for next year if I got. So vital to get the most out of what you're giving so much time to; especially considering all the other things you could be doing with the time, never even mind the money. I'm leaving your post, 'make blogging events work for me'. Thanks for sharing. #bigfatlinky

27. July 4, 2015 / 7:39 pm

It was lovely to meet you at BritMums. I thought you looked lovely. I don't tend to dress up for the BIBS, but I know what you mean about feeling a bit under dressed. Sorry the comment for last weeks #BinkyLinky is a little late, we were on holiday and only got back late last night!