Parenting is just hard. It’s amazing but can be….just hard! You think you have cracked it but bottom line you will never have cracked it. Something else will be always slowly creeping in, ready to rock the boat and make you wonder what next? Will I ever sleep for more than 6 hours again?
People want to help you. Other parents want to help you. You want help, from anyone. That supportive comment from your Mum, that nice random person over Twitter or on forum. Someone else must be going through the same thing as you and you want to to know what to do.
Thing is, no one knows. No one actually knows why babies just randomly start waking in the night or only eat one food group but many people have been through the same things with their nippers and everyone has their own ideas and solutions.
I’m the same. I’ve been a parent for all of 22 months and I know IT ALL. I see other friends/fellow bloggers struggling and I just have to comment and try to make suggestions of what the issue may be. I genuinely want to help but the comments I make are the same as everyone else makes; code for I HAVE NO FLIPPING IDEA REALLY!!
Can you relate? How many times have you had a little despair or moan to be greeted with:
- It’s just a phase. Right a phase. Another lovely phase. But how long will this phase last? And what the heck do I do in the meantime?
- It’s a growth spurt. Again? They must have a growth spurt every second Tuesday. I’m tired and my boob/bottle arm is killing.
- Must be teething. Teething must be a constant process since they emerge from the womb until they are about 3. I must have heard this possibility a MILLION times.
- They will grow out of being fussy eaters. This is all fine and dandy but what do I do with the bolognaise I lovingly prepared (the one she ate last week) and how on earth does one survive solely on peas?
- Must be the terrible twos. My daughter is only 22 months. Why on earth is this starting early? What am I supposed to do with a child having a tantrum because I didn’t put her raisins in a pot?
- It will be one of the wonder weeks. There is no darn wonder in my toddler waking every hour of the night for a week straight and I’m sure there is a different wonder week for every week of the year.
- Pick your battles. Fair enough but tell me which battle to pick? I’ll nail her for smacking but shall I let her off not sleeping in her cot or not eating her dinner? What if she is still falling asleep in my bed at 18??? What if she is serving peas on toast for her wedding breakfast???
- They pick everything up at this age. I KNOW! The poor thing has her 12th cold since starting nursery and I have never been this ill since my University days. Where are you immune system??
- They must be tired. Really? You think? She hasn’t napped all day and was up at 5.30am. I’m exhausted too!
We all mean so well don’t we? The cliches. The possible solutions. We just want to fix the problem but really it’s like shovelling snow when it’s still snowing. This too will pass (another one there) but when and how? I’ll leave that one up to the toddler gods.