Chocolate

My daughter is not even 2 and she is obsessed with the brown stuff. Nope, not poo. Chocolate.

This is actually LUDICROUS as she rarely gets chocolate. I start to break out in a cold sweat when she is offered any sweet treats. Obviously, I don’t let her cotton on to this and of course I am exaggerating. She gets the odd treat, as long as she eats her meals. I don’t want her to think there is anything wrong with chocolate and she is already learning if she doesn’t eat her main meal, nothing comes next.

I listen to her answer any question with the word chocolate in her cute little voice and wonder what

have done wrong to annoy the food Gods above?

What would you like for dinner?  Chocolate.

What would you like for your birthday?   Chocolate.

What type of birthday cake would you like?  Chocolate.

What would you like for pudding?    Chocolate.

What flavour Mini Milk would you like?  Chocolate.

What would you like to do now?   Chocolate.

I’m a Dietitian! My daughter is meant to crave carrot sticks, not chocolate buttons. But sadly not. She can smell chocolate a mile off. She can hear a wrapper from 10 paces and she will not quit until she gets some.

Fruit is the last thing she will eat. It’s a standing joke at nursery that my daughter refuses to eat any of it. Occasionally she will have a banana and she ate a clementine at the weekend; I was ready to crack open the fizz there and then.

I think it is completely ironic that a daughter of a dietitian will eat sod all fruit but wrestle me for chocolate. Then again she may just be a normal toddler.

Makes birthdays and Christmas easy anyway!

* indicates required

1. August 14, 2015 / 7:33 am

All kids love chocolate and sweets, I have always been the type of parent who says you can have some depending on the time of day and meals eaten etc, but rarely buy them so if she asks for sweets I rarely say no as she doesn't have them a lot, and at christmas, easter when she has loads given to her, she is brilliant at just having some and not wanting it all in one go.

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:27 pm

That sounds great! I try that sort of thing too…just got an obsessed girl at the mo! x

2. August 14, 2015 / 8:55 am

Haha, they just know. You must have been dying at Alfie's birthday with all the e-numbers flying around lol. Weirdly although Alfie does like chocolate he's not obsessed with it, he's rather have chewy sweets like Haribo (which on my watch he doesn't get can't be bothered with the sugar crash haha). Me on the other hand, can't get enough of the sweet, delicious brown stuff 🙂 #WotW #binkylinky

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:27 pm

hehe I felt bad at Alfie's party saying no! I'm def with you. Chocolate over gummy sweets x

3. August 14, 2015 / 12:50 pm

My son is like this! He loves his chocolate, and is fussy about fruit, whereas his big sister will eat loads of fruit (still likes chocolate, too!). It is yummy, so you can't blame them! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:28 pm

hehe I wouldn't mind the choc if my girl ate fruit. They are fussy things but yep it is yummy! Thanks for hosting x

4. August 14, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of chocolate now and then. I'm using it as bribery for sitting on the potty at the moment. Great post. X

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:28 pm

haha I have tried that as well x

5. August 14, 2015 / 1:02 pm

I think most kids love chocolate…Have you tried dipping fruit in chocolate. My girl hated strawberries until I did that and now she will eat them even without chocolate….

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:30 pm

I may try that Kim but a tenner says she leaves the strawb!! x

6. August 14, 2015 / 3:58 pm

My youngest loves chocolate but luckily also loves sweetcorn and carrots. As part of a balanced diet (or for bribery purposes) I think it's ok 😉

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:30 pm

hehe sounds great 🙂 x

7. August 14, 2015 / 4:09 pm

I'm a chocoholic so I "blessed" my boys with the same affinity. Cute story. Chocolate is the answer to my Mr. 11's questions too.

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:31 pm

haha glad it is not just us x

8. August 14, 2015 / 4:17 pm

Haha bless you,does seem ironic but I guess it is pretty normal! Monkey won't eat hardly any fruit and is obsessed by the thought of cakes,sweets and chocolate. We rarely give him any though the grandparents do treat him fairly frequently so we can't really! So far LM loves fruit but she hasn't had much chocolate yet so who knows how long it will last for!! Xx

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:32 pm

That's what I'm hoping but yes pretty ironic! I hope my second (if we have one) loves fruit! I just love it so xx

9. August 14, 2015 / 6:07 pm

I love this, she is completely normal. I didn't have it in the house at all during my eldest's baby years and then as soon as she started pre school and getting invited to parties, she too was addicted x

• mm August 14, 2015 / 6:32 pm

haha so you tried and it still didn't work!! 🙂 xx

10. August 14, 2015 / 10:23 pm

Ah Jessica is a little chocoholic too (although she will eat fruit as well). She always asks for "butlins" (chocolate buttons) after dinner as she knows that is the only time she is likely to get any chocolate (not that she has it that often!) and if I say no she will usually then ask for "egg" (Easter egg) before giving up and resorting to "yogurt?" instead. Sounds like your little gremlin is just a normal toddler with a sweet tooth! 🙂

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:40 pm

I wish my gremlin would too! I always end up giving yoghurt like you! I reckon she is normal; just hilarious x

11. August 14, 2015 / 10:31 pm

Haha! That's very funny and I think she's in line with most other toddlers, unfortunately in the summer months it's also a little messy to eat! We went out to dinner recently at ASK Pizzaria recently and on the children's pudding menu was Chocolate Pizza. Heaven for any young child!!
    Have a lovely week
    x

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:40 pm

It's so sticky! Ah chocolate pizza? That is fun. Have a good week hun too x

12. August 15, 2015 / 5:37 am

Our kids seem obsessed with sweets and chocolate too, even though they don't get them all that often (my wife also being a dietitian!). It's a bit disarming though when they ask oh so sweetly. We've really noticed a link between what our son eats and his behaviour, so as a whole family (for solidarity) we've come off all squashes for "healthy" water… I've even given up caffeine (not that my kids had that!). Enjoy connecting with your blog via the #bigfatlinky…

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:41 pm

haha really? Another dietitian how ace. I know my daughter is so cute when she asks!! Good on you giving up the squashes and caffeine! x

13. August 15, 2015 / 6:29 am

You might be a weird dietitian but it sounds like you've got a normal toddler. At the moment our tot isn't bothered by chocolate particularly. At his birthday party had had a heavily frosted chocolate cake on his table and a piece of pear and went for the pear first. I give it a few more months and Christmas with Grandma before he comes over to the dark, gooey side.

#bigfatlinky

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:42 pm

Thanks for the compliment! 🙂 I want the baby for his fruit eating skillz!!! Ah he'll be shunning the choccy from Grandma for a clementine. I so bet x

14. August 15, 2015 / 6:31 am

Totally, completely and utterly normal. I consider my wife and I to be very lucky; our kids eat a variety of fruits and we get them to eat a reasonable quota of veg (although I wish they'd eat more). When it comes to salad…not a chance. As for chocolate, I fear that I've learned the hard way that it has its place. I get thoroughly irritated when people offer my kids sweets because often they give cheap, bright pink / purple / blue junk that fizzes / pops / came straight out of the reactor at Chernobyl. A trick I picked up from another blogger was to allow my kids to accept these sweets…but on returning home they get swapped with chocolate and the junk gets binned. It's not ideal, but at least have you have a much better idea what is in the choclate treat. #BigFatLinky

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:43 pm

They are good kids! I hate the gummy, coloured sweets. So like you. It's a good idea to swap for chocolate. I'm the same prefer that to those sweets. Thanks for the comment x

15. August 15, 2015 / 10:04 am

Oh bless her! Yeah she's just a toddler. I only eat chocolate and other bad foods when Emma is sleeping lol. I also bake a lot of sugar free cakes for Emma and she loves them. I've made sweet potato brownies and Swedish chocolate balls sweetened with dates. They're great – even I love them! 🙂 #bigfatlinky

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:44 pm

That's what we do too! Great plan. The sweet pot brownies sound like a great idea! I need to get creative 🙂 x

16. August 15, 2015 / 11:44 am

Hee hee how do they just KNOW how delicious chocolate it before they've eaten tasted it! Mim x

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:44 pm

I know…sobs!!! x

17. August 15, 2015 / 3:26 pm

Somehow, I think they just know it's good stuff! This so made me laugh!

• mm August 15, 2015 / 5:44 pm

hehe thanks Mrs Tubbs x

18. August 15, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Aw bless her! My girls do love fruit, but they love chocolate just as much. M will eat blueberries like sweets and R absolutely loves bananas! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

19. August 15, 2015 / 10:26 pm

My son's fave as well! Well who doesnt like chocolate and now I am craving for one too =P #wotw

20. August 16, 2015 / 6:08 am

Oh man, I love chocolate! So much so that I have a whole cupboard full of it! #wotw

21. August 16, 2015 / 7:46 am

I love chocolate it's difficult buts love it to great post thanks for linking to the Binkylinky

22. August 19, 2015 / 10:25 pm

Great post!!! 2 of my 3 would sell their mother for chocolate. The third one isn't bothered so much. We've all got something!

23. August 19, 2015 / 10:25 pm