This week’s word has to be Pancakes and with Shrove Tuesday on the horizon I thought I would share a recipe.
I have really go into pancakes for breakfast over the last week, especially when I have had a trip to the gym. I’m starving all morning and toast isn’t cutting it at all.
My hubby makes the most awesome style American pancakes; thick and fluffy BUT full of sugar. What a surprise the gremlin adores these but I decided to do a bit of research for a healthier recipe. Hubby loves a challenge and had a little look too and kind of made up his own recipe.
I was looking for something with no added sugar, extra protein and still had a good taste. I know despite requesting no added sugar I would probably put a small smear of Nutella on mine (damage limitation and all!).
So here the recipe:
- 100g of normal porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 scoop of protein powder (flavour of your choice but we have cookies and cream)
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- Few dashes of mixed spice
- Approx 50ml of milk for consistency
- Optional dash of salt
- Blend oats into a flour consistency
- Add protein and baking powder and blend for a few seconds, add in mixed spice
- Mash a banana
- Scrape into a jug and mix with egg
- Pour oat mix into the jug
- Add a dash of milk and mix into a paste. Add in more to alter consistency to quoted by hubby “twice the thickness of Heinz tomato soup”
- Use a thick flat griddle pan if possible and heat prior
- Pour mix onto pan with desired pancake side. Cook on one side until small bubbles appear, roughly half way out from the pancake centre
- Flip and cook on other side until pancake cooked to how you like it.
- Enjoy with fresh fruit (or Nutella like me)
Happy Pancake Day and let me know if you make them!