Basically I should make this post 5 words – Don’t pack with a toddler. EVER! Post over. However, that would be very boring eh?
We are potentially moving house in less than 2 weeks. Can’t believe it. I have kept this a bit quiet on the blog as sometimes you don’t dare to believe a move is going to happen until you get those keys.
You have to pack up of course and we have steadily been doing that but something or someone is kind of getting in the way; a small creature, I’m not even sure she is 1m tall. Of course, my gremlin.
The realities of packing with her include:
- Getting sod all done basically; her constant chatter, nosying, cuddles (all of this lovely) but not conducive to me filling a box!!
- Re-packing what she has unpacked for me – thanks my angel.
- Tidying up all the mess she has made with the neat piles of paperwork and pens (I have tonnes) that I need to bin.
- Breaks – so many cuppa and snack breaks. If I have to hear “I want something to eat” one more time.
- Way too much kids TV to keep her occupied for a bit. A bit then stretches into an hour into the whole of Frozen (thank you Netflix).
- My house becoming a state of chaos including water everywhere in the kitchen, (we left her playing at the sink as she was quiet – big fat error).
- Her wanting to play with every baby toy/bottle/item of clothes/teddy from her early years collection when we boxed it up. This then took double the amount of time and a game of feed mummy from a Tommy Tippee Bottle.
- A detor to the park on the way home from a charity shop trip. Well it was a sunny day!!
- No relaxing with that glass of vino after a day of packing. Pregnant women woes.
Ultimately toddlers are a massive distraction, time consuming and just want to be the centre of the attention constantly. It’s like packing with a running commentary and sadly it just HAS to be done.
My advice for packing with a toddler? Take your estimated timings and double them.
Or failing that have Nanny and Grandad help out and babysit! Thanks Mum!