Everyone says your second pregnancy is completely different to the first. I never really believed it and then I read a post by Emily at My Petit Canard and it made me have a think about what I had been doing differently this time around.
I think I have still been as interested in piglet’s development and have an app on my phone which I do check regularly. I’m also happy to sit on the sofa with my belly out for ages, hankering after some movement. I did that tonnes with the gremlin.
The pregnancies themselves, in terms of symptoms have been really similar, apart from the nausea lasting longer and my constant stream of colds from my bug bearing spawn!!
However, I have been different and here are my thoughts:
- Finding out the sex. Last time I was determined I didn’t want to know but this time I just can’t wait. We also want to prepare the gremlin as she has been convinced she is having her “baby sister”.
- Paid for private scans. Not once but twice at 8 and 16 weeks so yes we do now know what the sex is! Not wanting to say anything until after the 20 week anomaly scan though, sorry guys. Eek! I think I have felt more nervous about everything being ok this time whereas last time I was quite laid back.
- Weirdly after the above point, I have been more laid back and told more people. More people knew I was pregnant before 12 weeks this time, compared to the gremlin.
- Not drank hardly anything. Now ladies, I’m not condoning alcohol in pregnancy as the Dept of Health advise to abstain really but I had the odd unit with the gremlin. I really missed it! This time not been as fussed and apart from once or twice I have laid off it.
- Conversely I’ve not been as worried about caffeine. I don’t drink coffee but I’ve had 2-3 cups of normal tea a day after the nausea had passed. That’s fine. I just can’t drink decaf or fruit teas. I used to have a decaf every night pre-pregnancy but the thought of it makes me gag. I was exactly the same with the gremlin.
- Done a lot more cardio/circuit training at the gym. With the gremlin I had bust my knee and was limited to cross training, the bike and upper body weights. This time it’s new territory but the staff at my local gym are fab so I feel safe. I have adapted a lot of stuff but still feel like I’m doing something.
- Been terrible at taking my vitamins! I was good with the folic acid up to 12 weeks as you should but Vitamin D has been a bit sporadic and I haven’t had my iron tablets that regularly. I have been trying to eat more lean red meat instead.
- Not taken as many bump shots. I just keep forgetting!! Now we have a new house and more space, I’m going to make a conscious effort.
- Been a lot more chilled about buying stuff. I just figure I’ll do it later. Definitely more laid back there! I’m a bit random eh?
- I’m not as worried about what I eat. Slightly runny eggs? Sure. A bit of pink in my iron rich steak? Sure it will be fine!!
- I’ve had to buy maternity jeans at 16 weeks. Last time I never even bothered and wore leggings. I have popped out so quickly this time, so had to succumb. Thanks H and M.
Time is flying with me being 17 weeks this week. I’m trying to savour every moment and try and enjoy being pregnant, even when the gremlin is driving me mental and I’m tired. It’s a special time and I don’t want to forget that, even though it’s the second time around.