Before you have kids, going to the loo in front of your partner is quite often classed as being “comfortable”. For others it maybe breaking wind in front of each other and for others, well they may not even be able to do that! Then you have kids. You are a family.
You become a family.
You and you partner may know everything about each other; warts and all but add in kids? It’s a whole different ball game. They are of course, your flesh and blood but sometimes I feel I actually breathe my kids in. It’s hard to distinguish when they end and I begin with snot on my shoulder and poo on my hand. They are in my blood and I’m sure hubby feels the same.
We are a family and just “get” each other. Sometimes it’s hard to believe but I guess we do live and breathe each other.
There are moments in this parenting life when I know we have just “made it” as a family. These moments are sometimes cute, silly and often just plain gross.
Am I explaining myself very well? Maybe. Maybe not!
These are some of my moments and see if you can relate:
– When one of our children vomits the adults have our roles. Hubby is chief vomit clearer upper. This includes getting rid of all the lumps and getting the washing on. I am chief child cleaner upper and post vomit-cuddler. These times we are a team. A family team. Made it!
– Whilst on our recent holiday to Cyprus Piglet needed a poopy nappy change during lunch, the gremlin needed to go next and hubby disappeared too (!). When he returned he looked over at me across the table, our eyes met and he whispered “you need go for a shit too during this meal darling, to be part of THIS family!” If that’s not family love, I don’t know what is.
– Last Halloween, we hit an event where there was no food we were going to buy, apart from hotdogs and basically sugar. By the end all three of us were HANGRY. Hubby wearily stepped out of the car to buy fish and chips for us all and we drove home but there was anarchy. I was yelling at the gremlin, she was hysterical, hubby had a face like thunder and Piglet couldn’t care less, as she was breastfed. The three of us solid-food eating grumpy urchins, sat down to our chips and an air of relief passed over us. We are a loving family but my God, we are awful when hungry. Sharing that hangry episode I’m sure, was bonding in some crazy way!
– When all 4 of us squish into the bath and pray the bath doesn’t fall through the ceiling with the weight. Those moments are true happiness.
– Those lazy mornings in bed when the gremlin and I are glued to mine and hubby’s phones, hubby is reading the news on his tablet and Piglet is pretty much rolling off the bed. Blatantly all ignoring each other but also comfortable in each’s other’s sleepy morning presence.
I guess, I’m explaining what being happy and comfortable is.
I guess some days I pinch myself with my beautiful girls.
It’s hard to believe we have made our own little family and yes, the ordinary moments make it; however gross or funny.
Do you have your moments too?