Before you have kids, going to the loo in front of your partner is quite often classed as being “comfortable”. For others it maybe breaking wind in front of each other and for others, well they may not even be able to do that! Then you have kids. You are a family.
You become a family.
You and you partner may know everything about each other; warts and all but add in kids? It’s a whole different ball game. They are of course, your flesh and blood but sometimes I feel I actually breathe my kids in. It’s hard to distinguish when they end and I begin with snot on my shoulder and poo on my hand. They are in my blood and I’m sure hubby feels the same.
We are a family and just “get” each other. Sometimes it’s hard to believe but I guess we do live and breathe each other.
There are moments in this parenting life when I know we have just “made it” as a family. These moments are sometimes cute, silly and often just plain gross.
Am I explaining myself very well? Maybe. Maybe not!
These are some of my moments and see if you can relate:
– When one of our children vomits the adults have our roles. Hubby is chief vomit clearer upper. This includes getting rid of all the lumps and getting the washing on. I am chief child cleaner upper and post vomit-cuddler. These times we are a team. A family team. Made it!
– Whilst on our recent holiday to Cyprus Piglet needed a poopy nappy change during lunch, the gremlin needed to go next and hubby disappeared too (!). When he returned he looked over at me across the table, our eyes met and he whispered “you need go for a shit too during this meal darling, to be part of THIS family!” If that’s not family love, I don’t know what is.
– Last Halloween, we hit an event where there was no food we were going to buy, apart from hotdogs and basically sugar. By the end all three of us were HANGRY. Hubby wearily stepped out of the car to buy fish and chips for us all and we drove home but there was anarchy. I was yelling at the gremlin, she was hysterical, hubby had a face like thunder and Piglet couldn’t care less, as she was breastfed. The three of us solid-food eating grumpy urchins, sat down to our chips and an air of relief passed over us. We are a loving family but my God, we are awful when hungry. Sharing that hangry episode I’m sure, was bonding in some crazy way!
– When all 4 of us squish into the bath and pray the bath doesn’t fall through the ceiling with the weight. Those moments are true happiness.
– Those lazy mornings in bed when the gremlin and I are glued to mine and hubby’s phones, hubby is reading the news on his tablet and Piglet is pretty much rolling off the bed. Blatantly all ignoring each other but also comfortable in each’s other’s sleepy morning presence.
I guess, I’m explaining what being happy and comfortable is.
I guess some days I pinch myself with my beautiful girls.
It’s hard to believe we have made our own little family and yes, the ordinary moments make it; however gross or funny.
Do you have your moments too?
I love this, you are right. This is what family is about, the multitude of little things that make up our life and show we are all part of each other. #PostsFromTheHeart
Haha this is fab Sarah!! We all fit together like little puzzle pieces and this is clearly what you and yours do! Great Post!
Oh yes, we have moments like this too. Not necessarily stirct rules as to who clears up vomit or other bodily excretions but it just gets done. I would never tell you our family is perfect, but when we need to pull together, it just happens seamlessly and I don’t think the same can be said for a lot families. keep up the good work!
The hungry moments definitely ring true for us. Not A great place to be when family members are hangry, ha! x
Yes! We do the same with cleaning up ‘mess’ and mornings in bed on our phones or watching TV separately but together. And definitely a family if you can fart infront of one another haha! #PostsFromTheHeart
Aww I love this post..your second point cracked me up!! I love those mornings where me, hubby and our 2 boys all squish into the bed and just watched crap cartoons together. Eep, being hangry is no fun for anyone xx #postsfromtheheart
What a gorgeous post and I’d say you’ve made it too and pretty sure we have to! We have our ups and downs but we’re a good little team! #twinklytuesday
I had to read some of these out to my husband, especially the puke one. Our youngest had reflux and a very sensitive cough-gag reflex as a toddler so we know this all too well!
Your relationship changes when you become a family, you’re so right. It’s funny and gross and weird, but very special!
This is just lovely! We are on the same page as you with the sick (or wee) mishaps! And we all get hangry too! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
Ah this is just lush! I deffo have those moments when I think “yeah, we’re a family and to be honest we are pretty weird but I love it”. #bestandworst
I think when you have children, you are gifted a bag saying ‘seen it and done it all’ as you will! I play the good cop/bad cop role so unfortunately have to be chief of everything, but wouldn’t have it any other way! 🙂 xx
Back again for #bestandworst x
Ah lovely post! We have our moments too, the little in jokes and the soppy moments too. I wouldn’t be without them #bestandworst
Haha, this is so lovely. The ‘poop’ meal made me really laugh. I do like the remaining husband/wife barriers that having a kid breaks down. You realise how the comfort you felt in your family as a kid came to be! We are definitely a hangry family like you – we always need PROPER food and we need it quick! #BestAndWorst
It’s all about family, family, family. All the time. Nice post.
True this. Family are the people who you can be yourself with and they love you anyway. I love the idea of Hangry! We’ve had a few of those!!!
Oh yes we have our little things to. I’m a cuddler and daddy is the tickler. So a bumped head needs a good cuddle first to calm followed by a good tickle to cheer. #bestandworst
Aww yes this is so true!! It’s definitely like a little family unit when kids are around 🙂 #bestandworst
I love this, feeling like a family is so lovely, even when the things that make you a family aren’t actually that lovely at all! #bestandworst
Love this. We’ve definitely made it as a family too, we all have the same sense of humour and can share so much just in a look. It’s definitely the ordinary every day moments that make for a happy life x
Awww I love this!! We have our little things like this to that, as you said, come along at the strangest of moments but really do make you realise what a unit you are 🙂
It’s lovely to read that you are a great team (family). #bestandworst
Love this. A great post. You’ve definitely made it. Patenting is tough. So is marriage, especially when you add in children. #postsfromtheheart
What a lovely post, it’s such a magical feeling when you realise that you are a family and so connected. Wait until your girls get older and all your periods are in sync. It happens you know, three of you with PMT at the same time!!! Your poor hubby, I feel sorry for him already 😉
These sound very familiar! I particularly relate to the vomit roles lol xx #postsfromtheheart
This post made me laugh. I can relate. #PostsFromTheHeart
This is fab!!! I can definitely relate to hangry family time , never ever fun!!! #postsfromtheheart