I’m a dietitian and obviously I have a keen interest in food. I’m not the food police, even though so many think I am. I won’t judge you for that bar of chocolate or extra cake.
I do notice food though, it’s part of the job description. The thing is we don’t want foods to be labelled as “bad”. We promote all foods to be enjoyed, in moderation, as part of a balanced diet. This is what I am trying to teach my complete chocoholic daughter. I want her to have a healthy relationship with food and enjoy it!
There aren’t really any quick fixes when I comes to a healthy lifestyle, it’s a mindset and a life long way of eating, drinking and being active.
So this post is kind of a contradiction really. People do ask me what I eat and what I don’t eat and there are some foods and drinks, I just cannot stomach.
Here is my top 5 and why:
– Rustlers Burgers. These processed things, that are actually cooked in the microwave actually make my stomach turn. Don’t get me wrong I like a burger but good quality meat, flame grilled with a bun and a bit of salad. I just cannot imagine eating one of these and I never have.
– Pot Noodles. Now I did used to eat these as a child. The chicken one eh? But now I just can’t. The calorie content, the saturated fat content and 2g of salt a pot? My dietitian brain just hurts. Haven’t eaten one in at least 10 years and don’t plan to.
– Energy Drinks – Red Bull, Monster, whatever. These drinks have no place in the daily diet. I see many people struggling with weight gain and tiredness and quite often when unpicking their diet, energy drink consumption is common. The sugar and calorie content will contribute to weight gain, alongside the caffeine to cause energy slumps. I do these drinks are useful on the odd occasion; that night out when you are flagging or just before you want to ace a job interview but for daily consumption? Just no.
– Doner Meat – even in my Uni days I could never fancy eating this stuff. I always think it used to look like an elephant’s leg hung up ready to be carved. I have tried a bit in the past but did not like it at all!! I’ll stick to chips and curry sauce if I’ve having a post night out snack!
– Any cereal that is multi-coloured or chocolate. Don’t get me wrong, I love a bit of chocolate granola like the next person but 1) it doesn’t agree with me and 2) any cereal that feels like dessert should not be a breakfast cereal. I wouldn’t eat these sorts of high sugar cereals anymore and try to ensure the kids follow suit. Though this is a challenge when the eldest is begging for “chocolate cereal!”.
So there you have it. Five foods and drinks I just don’t eat. I think I will have to follow this up with my top 5 foods as a dietitian!
What about you? Are there any foods you just cannot eat due to taste of health?