I’ve never done one of these “what’s in my bag” posts before but I thought it may be fun for my third baby. Mainly because I will probably pack waaaay less than I did for my first baby girl.
I’ve been getting nagged to pack my bag for weeks but I went full-term this week and I guess now is the time. I had the excuse that I didn’t have a new suitcase, so I ordered myself this one from Debenhams and realised I definitely didn’t have any more excuses.
So what will I be taking this time? I’ve split the post into for me and for the baby. I will also add some extra suggestions that perhaps I may not take, but could be useful.
What Will I Be Taking?
– Pregnancy Notes – I left these at home with Piglet and hubby had to run home. We live that close yes!
– TENS machine – not for everyone but I used this right until I was pushing. Really helped with the early and active stages of labour.
– Lots of pairs of knickers and not loose baggy ones! Post partum bleeding is part and parcel of having a baby and for my first, I bought these loose pants from Marks and Sparks. All that happened was I leaked. Chose some well fitting, comfy ones to hold everything in place. Primark are good!
– Maternity pads -I always buy 2-3 packs and shove one pack into my bag.
– Breast pads – I always take a few but must admit have never used as not had much leaking. Even if you are not planning on breastfeeding, take some.
– Pyjamas or a nightie – I always treat myself to some new ones and even if they get blood or mess on them, this usually washes out, so I actually still have both pairs from the girls. I did bring a dressing gown and slippers for my first and didn’t use, but my births were quick once I got to hospital and it was warm. If you’re in labour for a while comfy socks or a hoody may be useful.
– Bikini top or old T Shirt – I decided I wanted to be half naked if I went into the birth pool which I did for both the girls. I felt a little more comfortable this way.
– Clothes for going home – this included my maternity bras and a very comfortable items to go home in. Think leggings and joggers in the winter or a stretchy dress in the warmer days.
– Toiletries – that bath or shower after birth is lovely, so take what you fancy. Shower gel, deodorant and moisturiser were in my bag, as well as toothbrush and toothpaste. Make-up and hair stuff if you want?
– Paracetamol – worth having for during and afterwards in case.
– Phone and phone charger – essentials right?
– Camera and batteries – with the gremlin hubby only took pictures after the birth but for for Piglet I did have more during labour. Depends how you feel.
– Snacks and drinks – you may feel ghastly and want to vomit in labour or you may be like me who eats all the way through. During the tough bit I munched on fizzy Haribo and water. You can eat between pushing!
– Comforts – you may want your playlist for music so take speakers, you may want your favourite teddy, a book or some candles. Take what you feel is right and it doesn’t matter if you don’t use. I took music and didn’t bother. I took a magazine and never read.
What Will I Be Taking for the Baby?
– A Hat – as soon as the girls were born, the midwife but their little hats on them to keep them warm. So cute.
– Vests and Grows – I took 0-3 months for the gremlin and they buried her. I think for my little man, he will be too big for first size!!! Take a couple of sizes and choices.
– A going home outfit – I ended up taking Piglet home in a vest and grow but it is up to you. You may want something a little more special.
– Muslins – Little lifesavers. Clean up sick, drool and any mess. Worth having a couple.
– Nappies, wipes and nappy sacks – they do poop and wee, depending on how long you are in for.
– Car seat –make sure you have one, or you won’t be able to go home!!
– Blanket/coat – obviously this depends on the time of year when you have your baby but if needed you may need to wrap them up.
– A Teddy or Snuggly – these look cute in baby pictures but obviously not an essential!
I think that may be it! I just asked hubby to have a read and he couldn’t think of anything else! I know I will have probably forgotten something though.
I best actually get my bag packed (!) and lots of luck if you are packing your bag too, ready for your little arrival.