One of my most favourite and easy dishes is tuna pasta salad. It’s healthy, packed with protein and vegetables and perfect for lunch, dinner or batch cooking up to take out and about.
I know it’s not really cooking as such (haha) but tuna pasta is such an easy one.
It’s one of the things I always give my mum when she pops over and I tend to take it out on picnics as I’m not really a sandwich person.
The whole family loves it and although they all don’t like all the ingredients I like, I can adapt it for each of them.
Tuna Pasta Salad – the Recipe
Here’s the recipe (serves all 4 of us – 2 adults and 2 kids)
- 2 tins of tuna steak or chunks in spring water – you can use brine or oil depending on preference
- 1-2 large tablespoons of light mayonnaise (you can add more or less depending on preference)
- Half a large can of sweetcorn
- 3cm of cucumber cut into little cubes
- Half a red pepper cut into small chunks
- 5 cherry tomatoes cut into small chunks
- 3 handfuls of wholegrain pasta (again add more or less depending on preference)
Tuna Pasta Salad – the Method
- Cook the pasta and drain, leaving to cool
- Mix the tuna with the mayonnaise and add all the vegetables. Mix well
- Add the cooled pasta and mix well
I like to serve with some rocket lettuce and a drizzle of healthy olive oil.
The kids only like cucumber and sweetcorn so they just have that and hubby doesn’t like tomato mixed in his so I have to change it up. I also found this recipe great for weaning when my middle child was eating more textures. She lovedit and still does.
There are other ingredients I add to this on occasion.
- spring onion is delicious but perhaps not if eating on your lunch break at work.
- Beans – my friend added these to it and it worked really well. It makes it go further and boosts the protein and fibre content.
- Egg – chopped hard boiled egg is delicious and something my mum used to add. Again boosts the protein content and if you are batch making; helps it to go further.
Tuna pasta salad is definitely one of my easy go tos when I haven’t a clue what to make and I need something healthy and tasty!
If you try it, let me know in the comments!!