As a Mum I find one of the hardest things is not having as much time to get ready in the mornings. It’s not just the logistics of having a loony child who may stick their hand on the hair straighteners or eat your blusher, it’s the guilt at the amount of time it can take!
It used to take me 40 minutes just to dry and straighten my hair! This was before I added on the time for a shower and putting on my make-up. My hubby would get bored downstairs, they would all troop and I’d end up straightening the gremlin’s hair and not my own!
Over the last 4 years I have come up with some hints and tricks to save time. I’ve become resourceful and clever, well you have to be as a Mum!
Here are some of my strategies.
– I often bath with the girls at night and therefore on my work mornings, I only have a wash beforehand. This saves me quite a bit of time. I tend to shower on the days I’m off work, where I have more time.
– Dry shampoo. Need I say more? If I can go one more day without washing my hair, I will do. I often use a bit of hairspray if I tie it up and spray a bit of perfume on my hair, if I’m worried it’s a bit greasy.
– Get a new hairstyle. I have had long hair for about 10 years and since I have had the girls have debated getting it cut. I made the decision not long ago and it is so much easier to manage now. It dries quicker and I can easily straighten it.
– Have a quick and simple make-up regime. I have found a good Garnier BB cream which takes 10 seconds to apply and it does last, saving me putting lots of foundation on. As Mums we can often be very tired and need to cover up the dark circles. This is where No Dark Shadows comes in, another essential. Retailing at £15, this product is a silky, light, blendable complexion enhancer and concealer that works hard to conceal imperfections. It is long-lasting, buildable and moisturisers. The formula also contains light diffusing pigments to soften the look of dark circles and it can be used for contouring. It lasts 6 hours and is free of mineral oils and parabens. It is also available in two shades – WOW (rose undertones) and PIZAZZ (yellow undertones).
I use a rose one as suited my fair skin. I tend to apply over my BB cream, under my eyes, cheekbones and above the brow as directed. It blends easily and hubby can always tell which side of my face I have done first. It’s easy to apply and I think makes my bags look a little better! It gives a bright and fresh look to your complexion and I really like it. I have never tried any product like this and I was impressed! It’s quick, effective and easy. If you fancy trying it you can buy this in your local Superdrug.
So what else helps me get ready quickly?
– Get your clothes out the night before. Geeky yes but if I’m heading to the gym or out to work, I often get a few things out so I’m all ready. Does save a little time and less stumbling in the dark in winter!
– Keep your phone downstairs. This is imperative!! If I don’t have the distractions of my phone, just to check something or change my music I save so much more time! This is probably my best tip.
So much more time is saved since I have implemented some of these changes. I don’t want to give up wearing make-up or feel scruffy just because I have had kids but you do need to be a bit savvy sometimes!
Disclosure – I was gifted No Dark Shadows in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.