It’s slightly sad time when a date with your husband is down at the gym with some weights, pads, boxing gloves and a rowing machine. However, this was where we found ourselves on Mother’s Day morning whilst my Mum looked after our gremlin. However training with a partner can be really beneficial.
Before my gremlin was born hubby and I used to train together lots. We would have a specific routine each week or he would go into the gym whilst I went to a class. Bottom line, we were going together, it was motivation and it was routine.
For me this isn’t too much of an issue but for hubby since having a baby his motivation has plummeted. He simply doesn’t enjoy going on his own as much as when with me. And it’s unlikely we will be going together regularly for a long time unless we get a very frequent babysitter! I have to nag him a bit to go regularly, especially when I feel a bit guilty going and leaving our gremlin with Daddy day care.
For many people they will be in the same boat but it made me think about how important is it when training to have a partner where possible or taking part in group exercise. This is why:
- Exercise becomes more social. Chatting and catching up (whilst working very hard of course!)
- You may work harder; if you have someone with you to compete with you may push yourself harder. In a group session you are being told what to do, when and being yelled at to push yourself. In most cases you will do!
- Walking into a group class with someone else is always a boost of confidence and sets you up for the class.
- If someone is waiting for you to turn up and relying on you as much as you are on them, you are more likely to go.
- You don’t even need to go to the gym. A brisk walk, a jog or a bike ride with a friend or partner can be so beneficial.
My OH and I used to go to the gym together and it was great, although he was always better, faster stronger etc than me, of course! 🙂
I used to go to the gym with hubby too! Now we do our own things – him spinning, me running – hopefully one day we will go back to training together.
I would love to have a partner I can train with, especially get out and run with. However… I need to find a partner first! :/
I'm quite happy to go to the gym on my own, I am lucky that I can do this during the day time when mini me is at school. Looks like you both enjoyed your Mother's Day workout! 🙂 Sim #WeightLossWednesday x
What a date! Good for you guys to be able to spend quality time together, even if it was at a gym! Hubby & I no longer go to the gym together. He has his own workout routine and I have mine because some one has to babysit the boys. Although as a family, we do try to take walks after dinner at least 4 times a week. Thank you for linking up with #AllAboutYou!
It is lovely if you have someone else to motivate you isn't it. My hubby and I don't work out together often any more either but I do still find him a motivation.,, he's much better at sticking to a routine than I am so it still helps me to stay focussed!