I’m Never Getting a Tattoo

I’m Never Getting a Tattoo

When did I become in the minority group by not having a tattoo ? It was something I noticed on my recent holiday. It appeared everyone but my family group had a tattoo. They are the in thing at moment, addictive and getting more elaborate with some people having more tattoo than skin.

I remember as a child my uncle having them and thinking it was cool but somehow I knew it was something I just wouldn’t do. I’m indecisive, could never choose where I would have one, or what to have and it’s likely to be something I would regret in the future.  I have images of geriatric wards in years to come; saggy wrinkled skin covered in faded, distorted images, each one telling a story like the person they cover.

Why No Tattoo?

My ultimate decision maker was my late Dad making me promise I would never have one. My Dad was cool, a bohemian really. Laid back, hated rowing and never really yelled at me. He wore my carefully plated friendship bracelets I made for him as a teen, to work with pride and he was actually the person I asked a lot of the questions a teenage girl wants to know, growing up. So it always surprised me he was so against them. I thought he would have embraced and even encouraged me but not at all. However, I will take his wishes and respect them. I will never get one.
I’ve seen a strong negative attitude to people with them; a prejudice really which of course is unacceptable. I was quite surprised when a health professional I worked with in no uncertain terms told me he wouldn’t want a medical professional treating him if they had tattoos; it wasn’t professional and totally tore away any trust he had in their ability. Harsh words really. What does a bit of ink mean in relation to skills, compassion and good work ethic? You wouldn’t get away with that regarding race, gender or sexual preference, so why tattoos?
Despite this I have been told they are clamping down on them in other businesses. A family member told me where they work all members of staff with tattoos must have them covered, as they are public facing. This makes life tricky for those with them on their hands, wrists and neck. So despite their increasing popularity with people; they are not being seen as the norm in the public, consumer eye.
Then I think to my daughter. Where will they sit in 15 years time? Will they be as popular and if so will they be the norm and tolerated? The older generations who dislike them now may be ageing further, being replaced with more open minded individuals? I’m not sure. Would I like my daughter to have tattoos? It’s a good question. I wouldn’t stop her for sure. I definitely believe in letting children, to an extent, have a free spirit, as clamping down on who she is, I know, will ultimately drive her away.
So in answer to the question, I wouldn’t mind her getting a tattoo as long as she could cover it. If the world stays as it is now, I wouldn’t want her progression in life being hampered by some harmless ink.
I'm not getting a tattoo

1. August 11, 2015 / 6:11 am

Well put. I don't have a tattoo and nor does my husband. I personally don't really like them but my dad and brother have them and it doesn't change how I look at them. It's a persons personal preference and I don't think says anything about they type of person they are #twinklytuesday xx

• August 11, 2015 / 8:26 pm

Thanks Kirsty. You make a lovely point x

2. August 11, 2015 / 6:23 am

I have a small tattoo on my lower back which never sees the light of day. I've always resisted having any more as I feel I'd live to regret it. I do however see tattoos as art, an expression of the 'wearers' personality. And, like all art, it's a personal taste! So,e I think are beautiful and others…. Why would you?!

3. August 11, 2015 / 6:28 am

I think you're right that tattoos are becoming more popular but there still is a negative attitude towards visible tattoos too. I don't have tattoos either and have no desire to ever get one although one of my cousins has a lot of Disney tattoos and I was quite fascinated by them as a child. Interesting to think about how attitudes towards them may change over the next 15-20 years or so though.

• August 11, 2015 / 8:27 pm

It's very true Louise. I wonder if the attitude will change and thanks for the comment x

4. August 11, 2015 / 6:32 am

I have one on my back. I love it. I got it when I was 29 so knew it was a decision made as a grown up so not one I would regret. I would never have one where it can't be covered up because I agree there is social stigma. When my kids ask if they can have a picture on them like Mummy I always say when you're 29! #twinklytuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:27 pm

Sounds good! I reckon a place where you can cover it is wise and great advice for the kids hehe x

5. August 11, 2015 / 6:39 am

I have 5 and I HATE them! All done was I was 17! Luckily most of them you can cover, but I really don't like them now if Im honest! They should raise the age, then you wouldn't be able to make a silly mistake until you have really thought about it!xx

• August 11, 2015 / 8:28 pm

Oh sucky Ellie! You make a good point. I think a lot are got when people are young and don't care xx

6. August 11, 2015 / 7:16 am

Interesting post hon. I agree that it seems everyone is tatted up to the hilt these days… I have two, a small one on my foot and a big one on my back, and I still love them ten years+ on. I do think they should be able to be covered up though, because like it or not, some folk are and will always be prejudiced where these things are concerned #thetruthabout

• August 11, 2015 / 8:29 pm

I quite like the foot ones and glad you still love them! It is sad there is some prejudice x

7. August 11, 2015 / 7:38 am

I have one and I hate it. I got mine done for the wrong reasons when I was 18 though! Its coverable at least!! #twinklytuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:29 pm

Oh no! Glad you can cover it though xx

8. August 11, 2015 / 7:41 am

I have two and I'm happy with them. I got them on my back and neck deliberately so that I would be able to hide them if I wanted to. I've known too many people get them when they were young and hate them very quickly that I'll be strongly encouraging my son to think long and hard about what and where, if he wants one. Might have a battle on his hands with my wife though as she hates them.

#twinklytuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:30 pm

That's good you are still happy 🙂 My friend had laser treatment to get rid of one from when younger so I agree. My hubby isn't keen so the grem will have a few words too if she wanted one xx

9. August 11, 2015 / 7:41 am

I really, really don't like tatts – they can look really cheap (not all though to be fair)… and fashions change; so what might be arty and fashionable now might just look ridiculous in a few years (all those ironic tweety pies? Yeah, that). I have friends who have them and they love them; and I dont love my friends any less because of them, but they really aren't for me. I have to be honest; I'd be put off hiring someone with tats on their face, neck etc thanks to my area of work – put off yes, but if they were right for the job I'd hire them – perhaps a little reluctantly…. Great post, will absolutely inspire debate! #twinklytuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:30 pm

So true jemma! Fashion changes all the time and very honest opinions you have given thanks!! x

10. August 11, 2015 / 8:09 am

I have 3 tattoos, 2 can be covered but the one on my wrist can't very easily. Unfortunately this is the one I hate and can only be covered up by something much larger. As you have said, businesses can be funny about tattoos so I am reluctant to cover up my already visible one with something bigger. I don't want a mistake I made when I was 18 and caught up in the excitement of getting a tattoo to dictate my future career. It is sad that people feel it has an indication on people's ability to do their job properly though, tattoos are just a form of expression that have nothing to do with your iq. Great post xx p.s your dad sounds like he was an amazing man x

• August 11, 2015 / 8:32 pm

oh it is a shame when you don't like the one you can't cover! I was shocked by some of the recent opinions I have had and thanks so much for the comment about my Dad. He was great and I miss him all the time x

11. August 11, 2015 / 8:44 am

If you're in the minority then I am too. I like the look of tattoos on other people, and my dad has loads, but I really don't want one myself. Like you, I'm too indecisive and know I'd end up regretting my choice.

I vividly remember my brother coming home and showing off his new tattoo (the underground symbol on his upper arm – no idea why!) and my mum saying "It took me nine months to make that arm and you've gone and ruined it!". I think that would probabaly be my reaction too if ever Bubs decides she wants one.

• August 11, 2015 / 8:32 pm

Nice to know I'm not alone Vickie. haha I love your Mum's comment. I must store it up xx

12. August 11, 2015 / 8:50 am

My mummy and daddy have tattoos and love them! They are both working professionals and it's never hindered them. Both work in good IT jobs and are creative and it reflects their way of life. It's different for everyone and a personal choice. Best thing they did as they've always wanted tattoos 🙂 #TwinklyTuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:33 pm

That's great to know! I think it is sad some of the opinions out there nowadays x

13. August 11, 2015 / 11:38 am

I love tattoos, I'm bummed I only have one which is crap, but I love the sentimental reasons for it existing.
    It's interesting that some businesses are clamping down on them, but I guess "appearance" is more important than ability…

• August 11, 2015 / 8:33 pm

I think so Amanda and that is a shame really x

14. August 11, 2015 / 12:28 pm

Interesting post! I'm really not a fan. I know they are more like art these days but, through work I have seen a lot of prison tattoos, DIY swastikas, sectarian slogans and large breasted woman – probably because of this my first response to any sort of tattoo is a bit negative. I do realise that there are some nice ones out there. I hope it's something my kids won't consider until they are much older…… #twinklytuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:34 pm

I hope so too Morna! Thanks for the lovely comment x

15. August 11, 2015 / 12:44 pm

Neither me or my husband have a tattoo and they don't really appeal to us. Like you, I am far too indecisive to ever pick something that I'd want drawn on me for the rest of my life. I'm not sure they would suit me anyway.

Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

• August 11, 2015 / 8:34 pm

haha I don't think it would suit me either Jenna! x

16. August 11, 2015 / 1:10 pm

I don't really get the point of tattoos but if inking your skin is your thing, go for it! Having said that I did love Obama's approach to his daughters getting tattoos: whatever you put on your body, your mum and I will do as well…probably a sure way to take the coolness factor out it!

• August 11, 2015 / 8:34 pm

haha I hadn't heard that about Obama…brilliant x

17. August 11, 2015 / 1:16 pm

Well obviously I like tattoos seen as I have 3 myself, albeit a little faded and old now! However, I still like them (apart from paw prints as they have stretched since having 2 babies), I would consider having a couple more but I just can't be bothered to arrange it, plus my Mum would go nuts haha. What I find really interesting is what you say about the health professional…….he wouldn't want treating by someone with tattoos's? Mine are all hidden so how can you be judged regardless of whether they can be seen or not. I know many a health professional with tattoo's and they are incredible at what they do! Do you see what I mean? Fab post Saz.

#twinklytuesday

• August 11, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Ah I thought of you when I wrote this Helen!! Yep the health professional said it! I was quite surprised. Totally get your point hun!! Thanks x

18. August 11, 2015 / 6:58 pm

I agree that people shouldn't be judged on having tattoos but personally they've never really appealed to me. The way you describe a tattoo on old wrinkled skin has now decreased their appeal even further! #thetruthabout

• August 11, 2015 / 8:35 pm

haha oops x

19. August 11, 2015 / 7:29 pm

I pretty much agree with everything you've said here – neither me nor my husband have any tattoos which is just as well given the fact that the organisation we work for states that all staff must have them covered up. They can be attractive in the right place, the right pattern on the right person but I find pictures, portraits and some of the saccharine sentences and sentiments people choose just look tacky and wrong. Each to there own though. As long as my kids don't turn into tatt addicts like David Beckham or Robbie Williams I'll be OK. Thanks for linking up to #thetruthabout Xx

• August 11, 2015 / 8:36 pm

I see. I'm the same. Some are ok but when the whole body is covered it can be a bit odd! x

20. August 11, 2015 / 9:32 pm

Great post. I don't have any tattoos either. I was extremely tempted after I finished working for Disney. Disney doesn't allow any visable tattoos so when I had finished my "Disney years" I considered a tattoo of Peter Pan's shadow on my ankle. However, I didn't want to be explaining what the black blob on my ankle is in 20 years time. I can admire tattoos but they're not for me.

• August 12, 2015 / 4:19 pm

Thanks Tori That's interesting about Disney. Sounds like you have the same mindset as me! x

21. August 12, 2015 / 4:38 pm

I have two, one on my back and one on my foot. Bearing in mind I have often had my foot one on show on the offices, nobody notices it! I love my tattoos and want another one that represents zach. I'd never be silly and get one done for the sake of it. I've just always been a fan of them and don't really mind about them being wrinkly when I'm 80 🙂 completely each to their own though – I wouldn't judge either way 🙂 thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

• August 14, 2015 / 6:34 pm

That's really good to know Lisa. I think one for Zach would be nice 🙂 Thanks for hosting x

22. August 12, 2015 / 6:25 pm

I think my views have definitely changed as my children have got older. If they want one then it's not a big deal to me. I would probably discourage them from having one that is not easily covered however, as I do think that companies frown on it. Similarly with piercings. I would prefer them to just feel comfortable to be their own person. x

• August 14, 2015 / 6:35 pm

That's how I feel. You kind of don't want it but yet don't want to stop them being them x

23. August 12, 2015 / 8:19 pm

This is a great subject, I have 4 tattoos each one of them is a part of who I am, I got my 1st at 18 on my hip the next one a small one on my back a yr later then couple years later I got a big one on my leg and a final one on the underneith side of my wrist which goes up the side of my hand as well. I have always been fancinated by tattoos. growing up my father was and still is a biker so I grew up where they were the norm. both my parents have tatoo's and so does my brother he has the most. I have to say I have been lucky that I have never faced any prejudice with my tattoo's and they have never been an issue when they have been on display at different jobs over the years. for me it is a form of self expression and if I could aford it I would have more, my husband isn't a massive fan and only likes maybe the tattoo on my wrist. He certainly doesn't want me to get any more. I certainly would let my child have tattoo's and express themselves providing it wasn't offensive.

• August 14, 2015 / 6:36 pm

That's really interesting! I'm glad you like them so much and have never had any bother 🙂 x

24. August 13, 2015 / 5:59 pm

I believe I agree with you. Not all tattoos should have to be covered, but where do you draw the line? What one person loves may offend someone else. And business owners don't want their customers to be offended. I don't have a tattoo, but my son has 2, but they can be covered.

• August 14, 2015 / 6:36 pm

I think people opinions are so variable! I kind of thing being able to cover them helps x

25. August 13, 2015 / 7:43 pm

Really interesting post Sarah, I have 2 tatoos which are fairly large on my back but to be honest I forget they are there really. My theory was that if they were on my back they could always be hidden,plus they are slightly less like to stretch or sag as much as I get older! I obviously couldn't say anything against my kids having them as I have them myself but maybe that will prevent them wanting to anyway haha! Xx

• August 14, 2015 / 6:37 pm

I didn't know you had any Caroline! How cool 🙂 haha you never know you may inspire the kids x

26. August 19, 2015 / 11:19 pm

I personally believe that eventually so many people will have them that places of employment aren't going to have a choice then to allow them to be acceptable. I am a tattoo addict and believe my I am well aware of the "stereo-typing". It took me 42 years to ink my arm but has been a decision I am completely happy with. Thank you so much for hostessing #thetruthabout and again so sorry for the delay in my commenting!