As a fitness nut and dietitian I thought for once I should actually combine the two and put a mini recipe on here. However, I am a crap cook and usually leave the recipes to my work bud. However, the other day after a gym session I really fancied a milkshake (and thought it would be a good way to get the gremlin to have bit of fruit)! I decided after she had necked her bit, I could add a bit of protein powder for myself, as I had quite a good session.
As a dietitian I have to say you can get all the protein you need from your food but sometimes an extra hit for some whey protein is fine, as long as you are not over doing it. Always ask for some advice from a professional though.
Whey protein is cheaper and a lot more convenient than buying and cooking a chicken breast for example, so I do have some now and then after a workout to refuel my tired muscles.
My Milkshake Recipe
- 1 banana (an older one tastes better)
- 1/2 a scoop of cookies and cream whey protein powder (around 10g of protein)
- 400mls of semi-skimmed milk
- A couple of drops of vanilla essence
- A blob of vanilla ice-cream (if you are being good and keeping added sugars low, you can omit this bit – I really fancied it!!)
Blend together and voila – a yummy post gym treat. This kept me going for ages! The gremlin loved it and was still after more with my protein in it.
Definitely worth a go and very quick and easy.