Moana, I just love watching it andI’m so glad my eldest does too.
Disney films. They have a certain magic to them and as a kid I was obsessed. The gremlin has fallen in love with two Disney films in her lifetime; Frozen and Moana. Don’t get me wrong I have enjoyed watching both (maaaaany times) but which is the best?
For me, Moana is a clear winner.
I’m not normally one who writes about strong women and feminism either but I will have to in this post. I can’t avoid it! Am I jumping on a controversial wagon writing this or will some of you agree? Have you see Disney’s Frozen and Moana and if so, which is your favourite?
This is why I love Moana so much more:
– The soundtrack to Moana is just awesome. If the gremlin is not around, I could quite comfortably put it on for some background music. Frozen? No way. Not at all. If I have to hear “Let it Go” one more time I will scream. I have to fight to keep the gremlin from listening to it all the time.
– Frozen is set in the cold. It’s snowing. It’s icy. Don’t get me wrong. Some people love a bit of cold when they go on their holidays but for me? It’s all about the sunshine, greenery and beautiful scenery. Moana has all of this. Beautiful Hawaii, blue seas and amazing plant life. I’m in holiday mode just watching it.
– Moana avoids some romantic story when the girl gets the guy. It’s common in Disney films. It’s not a huge theme in Frozen but ultimately Anna and Christophe get together at the end. This doesn’t happen in Moana, it’s not needed and I like this. The girl does not need to get the guy to have succeeded.
– A lot of thought has gone into Moana’s image and her heritage. She’s not a stick thin Princess. She’s a strong woman, very real and I do think this is brilliant for the children watching this.
– Moana’s character is amazing. She’s strong, clever and had a goal. She seeks out help but ultimately she achieves what she set out to do. I warm to Anna in Frozen, she’s funny but she is bit ditzy and goofy. As for Elsa, I’m not a fan. A little whiny, a little dramatic. She doesn’t float my boat.
– I love the relationship between Moana and Maui. She knows she needs his help and asks for it, similarly to Anna and Kristoff but Maui never has the upper hand. Moana proves herself time and time again and doesn’t take any mocking. Anna still needs to be guided by Christophe and he has to keep her safe when she gets a bit hot headed with the giant Snowman.
– I can use Moana to get my gremlin to aspire to be like her. She’s a 4 year old and of course she wants to be a pretty Princess, like many other young children BUT we can talk about Moana’s strength and determination, her brains. She is so much more. I do like the sisterly love theme throughout Frozen, it’s lovely but it’s just not as powerful as the story of Moana.
– Every where I go I don’t see Moana. I have Frozen plasters, a Frozen ride on for my baby girl, Frozen dolls and dresses. I’m surprised I don’t have a Frozen toilet cleaner. It has gone crazy and it’s everywhere. I’m glad Moana isn’t like this.
I know Frozen 2 is coming out soon and the hype will be insane but I’m keen to see it, just like my gremlin. Will it be similar or will a whole new theme appear?
What do you think?
Would love to know!