I came back from my gremlin’s parent’s evening the other week pretty happy. She’s happy and doing as she should be. One thing her teacher said which made me smile, was she didn’t always want to go outdoors and often preferred playing inside.
I know it’s probably partly our fault. We get out and about a lot but don’t always push her to play out. She would much prefer a day playing inside with her Barbies and spending time with us. I remember agreeing with her teacher that, yes she was a bit of an indoor girl but thinking we needed to get her outside a little more.
It does get a little harder in the autumn and winter months, as my hubby does not like the cold at all. The days are shorter and we don’t get as much sunshine. I’m not that fussed as long as I am wrapped up warm and have the right clothes.
The shorter days with less sunshine is not so good when the Department of Health recommends we are getting 10 micrograms of vitamin D (10µg) daily, to protect bone and muscle health. In the warmer spring and summer months with much of this intake coming from sunlight, the Department of Health experts now recommend that during autumn and winter everyone should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of Vitamin D.
Getting the gremlin outdoors
We do still make sure we try to get out and about to get fresh air, exercise and plenty of family time, definitely #nodulldays. Here are ways we manage to get the little hermit outdoors:
– Visit a local National Trust. If we promise her lunch this helps. If we are going and meeting a little friend too, this is even better. She loves to run about and explore and it’s great to see some beautiful gardens and properties, especially on a cold winter’s day.
– Take a trip to the park. The gremlin loves the swings and slides and although we are not as close to one, as we used to be, will still try and go for half an hour or so.
– Go for a walk in the woods. Close to our house there is a small woods and if we are going a bit mad, we go for a short work and pass through the woods. Can often scare her to death, pretending there is a lion chasing her!
– Go out for a scoot. The gremlin has got so much better with her scooter since starting school and I have one too! she quite likes getting out together and it burns off some energy and is a boost of fresh air.
– Gardening with Daddy. She does love going out with him and planting a few bulbs or just generally pottering. As we have a south facing garden, some sunshine can make it quite pleasant.
Keeping Healthy during the cooler months
Even though we make that effort to enjoy the colder months, we know the gremlin and ourselves are not getting enough Vitamin D, which is essential for Calcium absorption. Vitamin D and Calcium both support healthy muscle function, healthy teeth and healthy bones and are both necessary for normal bone growth and development in children.
Bassetts want us to stay fit and healthy over the cooler months and enjoy plenty of happy family times. These pastilles have all the benefits of a standard multivitamin, but added Vitamin D and Calcium. They come in a delicious Peach & Apricot flavour, made with natural flavours and colours, and no added sugar. The RRP £5.50 for pack of 30 pastilles.
What did the gremlin think?
Although she was slightly narked they weren’t strawberry flavour like the other Bassetts vitamins we have tried, she has taken to them really well and is having 1 everyday. She likes the taste and texture and has no problem having. I like the way they are sugar-free and that she thinks she is having a sweet!
It’s been a good thing her having them, as has reminded me and hubby we should also be supplementing our Vitamin D especially at this time of year.
Although we try to get ourselves out and about at this time of year, it isn’t possible to get all the Vitamin D we need. These Bassetts vitamins are a tasty way to get your children to take a supplement and put your mind at ease.
Definitely helps with our little hermit too!
Our friends at Bassetts Vitamins have also created a fab code that you can use to get £2 off one pack of NEW Bassetts 3-6 Yrs Multivitamins Peach & Apricot + Calcium 30s at Boots.com! All you need to do is sign in as normal, apply the code BASSMVS2 at the checkout and embrace #NoDullDays! You can only use the code once per transaction, and the code can only be redeemed on the first 5,000 valid claims until 23:59 on 12th November.*
*Subject to Boots T&Cs.
Disclosure we were provided this product and compensated in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are our own.