I am actually going out out this week AND weekend if all goes to plan. Dressing up. Maybe a few drinks. With other Mums. It has been a LONG time coming. A night out! A Mum’s Night Out. What could go wrong?
I’ve spent pretty much the last 18 months or so inside my house in the evenings. In my PJs at 7pm after the girls are in bed. We have such a slick routine with them, my palms are actually sweating a little at rocking the boat!! BUT I think it’s good to try and get out, break your routine and keep confident so I’m going.
But there are always dilemmas on going out as a Mum. I never had these before. I just got ready, necked a couple of vodka Redbulls with my Irish mate and left the house at 11pm to find somewhere to dance. Now a night out takes planning. Careful delegation. Choices.
You will know what I mean:
A Mum’s Night Out – Dilemmas!
– Clothing. When I went out with my mates pre-kids it was always some dress that either showed boobs or legs (or both). Simple. Now I struggle. 1) What will the other Mums wear? I don’t want to look like I work in the red light district when they are in jeans. 2) Do I buy something fashionable to wear once? 3) Do I wear something old and look 5 years out of date??? ARGH!
– Shoes? Pre-kids I just risked the heels. Two kids later, no practice in heels and a dodgy knee later, I struggle. Flats just don’t often cut it so I’m stuck buying “comfort shoes” from New Look. Yes they exist.
– What time do I leave to go? Do I carefully help hubby get the kids to bed and sneak out (which never sodding works as both just “know” I’m going out and prat about so I just leave anyway) or do I sack off bedtime and leave hubby to it? I realise I will be probably flagging by 10pm anyway so the earlier the better eh?
– Do I drive? This a stupid question. Of course not! BUT it always goes through my head. Drive and no hangover?
– What do I drink? Pre-kids it was vodka before I went out and boy did I know about that the next day. It gets me wrecked at record speed and the hangovers are KILLERS. Now I’m sitting down trying to work out what will give me the most drinks for the least units.
– Where do we go? Loud music, trendy looking people? Often more difficult conversations and yelling in each others ears. Do we end up in a club, feeling like the oldest people out? Oh the decisions!
– Last order have been called. Home time? This could be the last night out I have in 6 months. I do really need to stay out but then I may have my eldest wanting to play doctors and nurses with me at 6am. Hmmm.
– Do I have a kebab???
Ah the joys. I’m both excited and slightly apprehensive about going out at the same time. Things change so much when you have kids. That evening bubble of a decaf tea, Netflix and Instagram is suddenly going to be smashed. People, music, cocktails and adult company. Wow!
It’s like starting out with your social life all over again on a Mum’s night out and I’m looking forward it!