My gremlin goes to nursery. I went back to work 3 days a week and we found a nice (cheapish) one around the corner. She loves it which is a mega relief and so we are all happy.
There are some crap joyous aspects to your little munchkin attending nursery and I thought I’d put a few out there:
- The smell. That musty, funky….smell! What is it? The building, other little ones, paint, the food. God knows but my gremlin always has “the nursery smell” when she returns.
- The germs. I have ranted and raved about this before but what actually happens there? Does every child lick every toy and then pass it around? Is there some secret kissing we don’t know about? This is probably a question I don’t want answering. We have had illness after illness for 6 months and counting.
- This leads me on to the “freshers flu”. If we take her out for any period of time longer than a week; holidays/Christmas we are on countdown to how long it will be before the snot comes when she goes back.
- The lovely food/paint/glue stains down all clothes that somehow always seem to be orange and permanent even when I have been assured she had chicken casserole for lunch, not curry!
- The gorgeous mementos they bring home. Like the home-made chocolate that resembled a turd hedgehog.
- The occasional (10) drawings/paintings that get sent home in her bag. These are nice to look at for a bit but really? Ten? I can’t stick them all up unless my new lounge wallpaper is going to resemble a Picasso gallery.
- That bittersweet moment when you are on annual leave and they go in for the day. It’s like “awww I’ll miss them today” combined with, to quote Mel Gibson in his death scene in Braveheart, “Freeeeeeedoooooooooom!!!!”
- Why does she eat for them and eat sod-all for me?
- That lovely moment when you pick them up and all they do is throw what is in their hand/slap another child/ignore you for a minute or 2 before running towards you with a cheeky grin. Yes you can wait, Mother.
- She’s good as gold for them. During her “parents evening” she played up something chronic and we were greeted with gasps of surprise and “she’s never had a tantrum before”. Go figure.
- All the special “days” we have to either dress her up for, give me or make things. I spent a tenner on a “Little Princess” nightie for a day when she dressed up as one of her heroes (she loves that show). It then got washed and the transfer came off!!!! It went on a little ride with the binmen after that.
Ah I don’t know how we would cope without nursery. It’s been brill that I have been able to go back to work without worrying about the little monster. I know she’s fine and happy and that makes us so happy but the amount of crap that comes with it sometimes. Shish!
This is an awesome post! Yes I have that nursery smell on my clothes and hair. I also love baking mementos that look like poo! #TwinklyTuesdays
I totally thought that was a poop in a cake case- so naturally I clicked on your link because apparently a poop cupcake is what I want to be reading about. Licking, kissing, coughing and sneezing and then licking and kissing. It all goes down everyday- trust me, I'm a teacher.
Lol, I relate, I relate!! Most recently with Alfie's nursery always telling us he's an absolute angel for them, of yeah of course he is until we get him home for the mega tantrum!!
It's a long time since my kids were at nursery but I remember the tons of pictures my kids brought home and in a carrier bag too there were that many. Loving the turd comparison by the way and you're right it looks like one 😉
It's great that you've had such a positive experience Sarah! Have to say I did first and even second time around, third time has been tricky though… The wee man is such a clingy boy and hates it *sigh* #myfavouritepost
Lol, sounds like your little gremlin enjoys nursery and that turd-like chocolate made me chuckle! #sharewithme 🙂
This really made me laugh out loud. How much snot do you think goes into one of those chocolate hedgehogs? Thanks for sharing with #myfavouritepost
I think lick the toy and pass it on is part of the initiation process lol #sharewithme
It's good that she is happy there. I wasn't the biggest fan of our local nursery and now after reading this I'm a bit scared to let her go anyway! Haha 😛
This is so true! My son started nursery six weeks ago, and since then we've just had illness after illness after illness. And if it's not him, it's my daughter, who brings home the germs. And as you say, she eats everything at nursery – even stuff with mackerel in it (!) – but for me just bread, dry pasta and chicken nuggets. Grrr. But still, I'm glad they are going to nursery, because they are both loving it. x
Great post Hun ! Can totally relate to freshers flu! All fun huh? Obviously sorted my commenting issues, yay! X
Haha, I was nodding along to every single one. Archie always smells of nursery, thought that one was just me! #brillblogposts
Oh we have this to come! Yikes! Glad she enjoys it though xx
The Mother says – You've had me giggling into my drink here. Fabulous post and so very true. I always reckon the first 6 months at nursery gives kids the best immune system ever but it's a real nightmare when they keep getting ill. That chocolate looked so funny and tell me about it, with the paintings!! #sharewithme
Hehehe, Boo only went to nursery for about 4 months but I can relate to some of these, the smell, the freedom. Andthe behaving well and eating for them… we had that too. Why do they eat so much more at nursery?
This is so funny! I haven't started nursery or playgroup yet. Lots to look forward to! 😉 Thank you for linkking up to #MyFavouritePost
Heh, so much of this rings a bell – there is a lot of crap that seems to come home with the kids, for sure. But on the whole we're glad that we put each of our kids through nursery/preschool – in each case three days a week, so they had a mix between nursery and home – even if I have had to develop the skill of surreptitiously smiling when they come home with something unrecognisable and quietly putting it in the bin …
This is way too funny and I remember receiving a similar interesting looking hedgehog too! lol Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
Totally agree with all of this and so glad its not just me. That smell!! I know that smell and I don't have a clue what it is! Such a funny post xx #sharewithme xx