This post was written before I had my three children and I only had my eldest. Since having my daughter I have definitely let myself go. I hate thinking this is just part of being a parent, as I think self-care as a Mum is so important. You don’t have to lose that part of yourself if you like making an effort but it is so hard!
We got back from my Mum’s this Easter with an extremely moody gremlin who had a fabulous time at Nanny’s but her naps went out of the window and she hadn’t settled as well. She’d started with another cough and was generally in a foul frame of mind. I hurriedly grabbed my coat and decided to go over the road to the park with her to run around for a bit, to “Shake it off” in the words of Swifty. I looked at myself quickly in the mirror and had to double take. I looked like s**t. Pale, greasy and wearing my “Geek” jumper from when I was pregnant. What has happened?!
Babies take away so much of your time. When they are tiny they are screaming for a feed or a cuddle. As they get older, they don’t want to be left alone and as they get mobile, they are not safe to be left alone! Putting make-up becomes a rush job. I NEVER have time to straighten my hair and paint my nails? Forget it!
I wanted to always make a bit of an effort like the picture below.
Before my gremlin entered the world I vowed to be one of those “yummy mummys”. Okay that’s a bit strong for a ginger, pale, string bean with a big nose. So, I vowed I would make an effort with myself at all times. How naive I was!!
I’ve Let Myself Go
- I don’t wash my hair as much. I used to go 2 days – now it’s 4 and a lot of dry shampoo. This weekend I had forgotten said shampoo so hair could have probably had an egg fried in it. That greasy!
- I have a LOT of hair and I used to straighten it a couple of times a week to make the most of it. Now it’s wash, half dry, straighten fringe and bung up. When it’s taken down it no longer resembles hair; more mane. I’m not that great at the ‘Mum Bun’ either – it looks nothing like the pictures!
- I don’t wear make-up everyday. As I’m a ginge this means I have no eyelashes and my eyes vanish. I do think it’s good to give your face a break but I look so pale!
- I don’t wear my trendy outfits at all times. I used to always put something decent on. Now it’s leggings, jeggings and some random jumper. The Uggs tend to finish it off.
- I used to be running away from magpies I was that covered in my jewellery. I love it. All types and I’m particularly partial to Pandora. However, nowadays I may just have my wedding rings on and my watch (my watch is a must as my birthday pressie which I begged for… a LOT!)
- I need to shave more. I was in a gym class stretching a couple of weeks ago thinking I’m so lucky I’m fair. The hairs on my leg were about 2cm long. That’s a long stretch without getting the razor out! I won’t go there about other areas.
- My feet. I can’t even go too deep into this as I’m not a foot person. I used to scrape them regularly and paint my toenails. My feet have been so dry they have been catching on the sheet (gross but true) and nail polish? What’s that?
- Milk bottle is standard. I used to be quite good at applying the fake tan moisturiser but I can’t even be arsed with that now. You have to wash your hand afterwards to avoid yellow hands and by the time I’m done my gremlin will have probably eaten an ear plug from my drawer.
- The PJs are on as soon as the gremlin is getting ready for bed. I don’t care where we are the PJs come OUT! Comfy is just the best, isn’t it?
I know this won’t last forever. My now babies (I wrote this post a while ago) will grow and I will have more time to do my hair, nails, make-up and choose clothes but will I want to? I’ll miss the drool and the weaning stains. I’ll miss the stop-start hair straightening that takes twice as long. I know I’ve let myself go a little but I’ll come back.
But it will be nice to make a little more of an effort again…one day!