I have loved chilli since I was about 5 years old but we always used to use a sachet, which I do still love now. one of the first things hubby cooked me was a chilli and since we bought a slow cooker he has made it many times in the morning before work, so we could have a slow cooked chilli when we got home.
Here is his recipe:
Ingredients for Slow Cooked Chilli
- 500g of extra lean beef mince
- 1 400g tin of kidney beans 400g
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pepper chopped
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes 40og
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed or finely chopped.
- 1 tsp on mild or hot chilli powder
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 a tsp of oregano
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of Bisto Best Beef Gravy
- 1tbsp of olive or vegetable oil
– Turn the slow cooker on low.
– Fry onions in a saute pan with the lid on until they are soft and translucent. Stir regularly to avoid burning.
– Make a space for the garlic in the pan and add the garlic, pouring some oil on it. The garlic should shallow fry in the pool of oil. This should take 2 minutes until the garlic is slightly browned.
– Pour all the spices on the garlic and onion and stir. Fry for 30 seconds, mixing well with the oil.
– Add the mince and stir well, ensuring the onions and spices are mixed into the meat. Add more oil if the spices are sticking.
– Gentle brown the mince all over. Don’t worry too much if slightly pink, as going into the slow cooker.
– Add the chopped tomatoes and stir in well with the mince.
– Add the gravy granules and mix in well.
– Add the kidney beans and sweetcorn and stir.
– Bring to the boil and once simmering, add to slow cooker and stir.
– Leave for 8-10 hours and serve with basmati rice.
The 8-10n hours cooking time changes the texture of the meat, despite it already being cooked. Delicious!