The sole reason I could not be a vegan is there is no way I could give up eggs. I have a boiled one daily and quite often another few in omelettes. scrambled egg, on salads and one of my favourites: in baked eggs!
Eggs are a brilliant source of protein and Vitamin B12 and are a tasty, filling addition to any meal. They are also a really good food to have when trying to lose some weight, due to the satiety factor. My eldest is a huge fan and I often give her a boiled egg with evening meal after school.
Hubby and I started having baked eggs when we wanted to try something new and also have a little less meat in our diets.
Baked Eggs – The Recipe
As my hubby is the chef in our house, this is the baked eggs recipe that he uses. He uses these curry dishes to cook and serve the meal, so maybe worth investing as they also look authentic.
This recipe serves two. Double up for a larger dish.
- 1 tbsp of olive or vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of tumeric
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of harissa paste
- 2-3 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cubes of feta cheese
– Pre-heat the oven to 180C
– Fry the onion in half the oil, in a sauté pan on a low heat with the lid on. Stir occasionally and cook for 10 minutes.
– Add the garlic and add remainder of the oil. Fry until browns.
– When the onion is soft and slightly golden, add the tumeric, cumin, cinnamon and coriander. Cook for a minute, stirring continuously.
– Add the harissa paste and stir continuously for 30 seconds. If spices stick to pan, add more oil.
– Add chopped tomatoes and stir in well. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
– Put three cubes of feta cheese into the bottom of each curry dish
– Pour the mixture from the pan into the dishes.
– Get a dessert spoon and make a small well on top of the mix. Crack the egg onto the spoon, digging the well down, so the egg runs into it. This stops the egg running across the surface of the mixture.
– Repeat for remaining eggs.
– Add the remaining feta cubes around the eggs.
– Place in oven and allow eggs to cook for 10-15 mins but check eggs are done to your preference. If using a ceramic casserole dish will take longer.
Serve with coriander and serve with Naan breads, mango chutney and plain yoghurt.
This is one of my favourite meals after a Friday at work! I love the sauce with some Naan bread and mango chutney.
If you make it, let me know how it goes in the comments.