Gender Disappointment – a Dad’s View

Gender Disappointment – a Dad’s View

I quite often let my hubby loose on my blog and it is just almost a year since we found out our little Piglet was a girl, after going for a private gender scan. I didn’t realise until recently my husband’s feeling at this time but he kindly agreed to post for me. I’m hoping others may relate.

Over to Chris.

In the world of mummy blogging, there are phrases that describes situations that are “a thing”, many of which I am still learning, generally due to my wife’s voice box being a constant stream of consciousness!!

“Gender disappointment” is apparently a thing, and the name sounds absolutely horrendous, but it is a thing nonetheless.

I’ve been gently coaxed to write my gender disappointment “story” for close to a year now, and I’ve finally caved. The thing is though, I’d like to turn this into something much more profound (for me).

When Sarah said she was pregnant for the second time, I couldn’t help visualise the future. A flight of fancy as to what things will be like, part of which was gender. We already had a girl, so you can imagine my thoughts.

After going for a private gender scan, the visions akin to the YouTube video above were not to be. We went to Ikea without the gremlin and as we sat down in the cafe I had some time to reflect, with a stunningly cheap cinnamon roll and coffee.

My version of Henry VIII’s proud birth announcement of “I have a son!” was not going to happen.

I’m generally a strong believer of if you picture it, you can make it happen but this is not always the case when trying for a particular sex when having baby!! Nature isn’t that easy to mess with is it? So this was a big thing for me. Wowsers. Another girl. I didn’t bank on that.

But why was I feeling annoyed and irritated? Quite honestly I was gutted to not be having a boy. Am I the male gender-reveal version of a bridezilla? No, because I hid it very well. Sarah didn’t pick up on it, and I’d never kill her high of the joy of getting a second girl. She was buzzing! So why was I not?

After about ten minutes I had actually realised quite a few things. Why did I want a son?  Ultimately because I wanted to have someone to follow in my footsteps; to have a protege. Oooh shit, can I admit that?

This thinking is bad thinking, for a number of reasons.

1) How much do you want your child to be like you?
2) How much do you want to control what path your child takes in life?
3) Why should gender be a thing here?

I’m a nerd and proud of it! I’m full on into building stuff, electronics, gadgets AND I work in IT. I love to learn and always want to know exactly how something works!

I want my children to be just like that and have a deep understanding of things, which will always land them in good stead. But for some ridiculous reason a thought it only applied to the less-fairer sex. I was being massively sexist, something I couldn’t bear to happen to my girls as they take their path in life. On a scale of one to ten on wrongness, I was an eleven and it was time to seriously correct my thinking.

Of course I will expose my girls to the nerdy things in life. I will certainly make sure they don’t let any gender-bias thinking slow them down. If my girls want to dress entirely in pink and tutus they will, conversely if they want an engineers boiler suit, then they’ll bloody well have those too. If they don’t care too hoots for my interests, that won’t bother me either. I’ll let them follow their own path; something where gender makes not a scrap of difference.

You can’t have children for them to be just like you. Gender shouldn’t and won’t make a difference to their niche in life and it’s our role as a parent to make sure that it doesn’t.

I love my girls. I’m a father of girls and I wouldn’t change for the world; well I may regret saying this when they hit their teens!!!

My Petit Canard

(Visited 1,901 times, 1 visits today)

1. April 3, 2017 / 7:43 am

So important to share this and good to read about it from a male perspective! Funny he should mention Henry VIII who was so desperate for a son that he divorced and beheaded his wives to get one and yet we ended up with one of the strongest and most well known monarchs in history – a woman!
    Nicola | Mummy to Dex recently posted…Living Arrows 2017 // 14/52My Profile

2. April 3, 2017 / 7:49 am

Great post Chris and it’s hard for dad’s because of course they all want a son. We had Oliver, and of course lost him and so Paul’s resigned to just turning Pops into tomboy and she’ll have to help him rebuild an old MK1 Golf when she’s older which is something he dreams of..ye a bit of a nerd too!! Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays x
    Fran Back With A Bump recently posted…Marvellous Mondays!My Profile

3. April 3, 2017 / 7:55 am

I love this and good on you Chris for admitting it. I have two girls, and if I’m honest I had gender disappointment. My husband loved the idea of two girls, where as I always wanted a boy. Coming out of the scan I cried so hard and he couldn’t understand it. He didn’t realise that my “dream life” has just come crashing down.
    I got over it when I spoke to him. After I thought about all the amazing things they could do together and how close they will be.
    Now, I love it!
    Anyway, really great post!

4. April 3, 2017 / 8:05 am

I love his point of view on this. I know my husband desperately wanted (and got) a son, I think part of it is a comfort of knowing what that would be like and the other part wanting to have a ‘mini-me’. Thanks for getting Chris to share!! x
    Ps. That fairy photo is ADORABLE!
    Devon Mama recently posted…Living Arrows: Week FourteenMy Profile

5. April 3, 2017 / 2:54 pm

Great – honest post. I think I definitely know a few people who have had the ‘gender disappointment’ experience, though they might not like to admit it x

6. April 3, 2017 / 4:48 pm

This was a brave post to share, as for some reason there are a lot of people out there who have a downer on those who experience anything but sheer joy at the gender of their child. I’m having my 3rd boy, and will admit to having to make peace with never having a daughter. It was quite tough for me and I still feel pangs of sadness at things I’ll never get to experience. I love my boys and love being the mum of boys, and as a feminist I don’t ascribe to the girls vs boys stuff. But I know my boys will never let me put them in a pretty dress, French plait their hair and take them to ballet class…and part of me always wanted that. Sometimes it just helps to know I’m not the only one to have some conflict on hearing th gender of their baby, so thank you for sharing..
    Sadie recently posted…what i hate about slimmingworldMy Profile

7. April 3, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Such an interesting read. I actually went through a similar thing last year when I found out baby number 2 was a boy. I obviously wouldn’t change him for the world now but I was so gutted. I blogged about it an got a bit of stick for being so gender stereotypical! Well done for sharing, I think Dad’s often get forgotten about when it comes to feelings!

April 3, 2017 / 8:18 pm

Love this post Chris, Incredibly honest mate I have 4 daughters and 1 son so I do understand what you you are saying about a son following in your footsteps. The interesting thing is my son is very unlikely to be anything like me and my daughters definitely are more like me. Great honest read mate. Well done to you both on the mumsnet blog of the day

9. April 3, 2017 / 10:32 pm

Reading this from a male perspective is great, I love that you have written this (and allowed him to, haha!) What an interesting read. Xx #MarvMondays
    Aleena Brown recently posted…I Don’t Want Mum FriendsMy Profile

10. April 3, 2017 / 10:35 pm

Thank you Chris for sharing. We have two girls and I must admit I was a bit sad for my hubby that he didn’t have a boy to throw a rugby ball around with. I needn’t of worried, the girls love throwing a rugby ball around and clambering all over him at swimming, Totally agree with you that their interests will,be their interests and we are here to support them with that, #MarvMondays
    Jo recently posted…How to plan your child’s birthday party – Part twoMy Profile

11. A really honest post and thanks to Chris for being so open about it. I can understand how you either parent could feel disappointment about their unborn child’s gender. It’s a strange time when the baby is in utero – they are a person but they aren’t someone you ‘know’, especially a father who doesn’t feel the continual wriggling and kicking. It’s so easy to project your own thoughts onto an unborn child. But then they arrive and they become as unique individual. I completely agree with Chris’ points that gender doesn’t and shouldn’t matter. But we are all coming from a generation where we will still subjected to stereotypes so we unconsciously stereotype ourselves! #MarvMondays
    Angela Watling (Life, Motherhood and Everything) recently posted…Five Favourite Finds #11My Profile

12. April 6, 2017 / 4:01 am

I have never once considered the disappointment that my husband may have felt, now I realize that may have been selfish. #MarvMondays

13. April 7, 2017 / 8:06 pm

This was great to read from a fathers perspective. I never even thought of Dad’s having gender disappointment! Thank you for sharing #MarvMondays
    Liane recently posted…38 Things That Make Me Happy.My Profile

14. April 9, 2017 / 9:32 am

Oh I love that you let Chris take over your Blog. My hubby always wanted a son so he was of course overjoyed when our first waa born but when we found out our second was also a boy he said he was gutted because he wanted a girl too!xx #marvmondays
    Wendy recently posted…#BlogCrush linky – Week 8My Profile